Restoration of Philips BX998A valve radio

miroflex

Inspired by Mr Pandu Rajan's restorations, I am planning to restore a Philips BX998A valve radio I have. Unfortunately the original speakers are missing. I am hoping to replace them.

This is what is known as a Bi-Ampli model with separate output stages for bass and treble. The bass amplifier is of SRPP type which acts as a push-pull amplifier using two PL 81 valves. The treble amplifier is of common single ended design using an EL 84 tube.

The loudspeakers are a 9758A (24 cm 700 ohms) for bass and a 9768M (15 cm co-axial) for treble.

I would be glad to hear from someone who is willing to part with these speakers or knows of someone who does. It would be a welcome step in the restoration of the BX998A, which was the top model from Philips in the nineteen-fifties.

I wish to inform you that Mr. Prabhat Chandra who lives in Dehradun also has the same set and here also both the speakers are missing. He wanted me to restore his BX998A set. Since the bass speaker is a 700 ohms speaker you can not substitute any other speaker here. Also it is a 10" speaker to handle the power of PL81 in Push Pull. I posted a request in the dutch forum but this speaker is not available. The other speaker is a normal 6" five ohms speaker.I had to tell Mr. Prabhat that without these speaker one will not get the desired quality. Also his set was in such a bad condition that lot of time and money would be required to carry out the restoration. Even if you want to put a output transformer with a conversion 700 ohms / 5 ohms the same may not be available. Also it will be very difficult to get other parts if found defective during restoration. One such part is the volume control. The RF and the IF transformers are also important both for AM and FM bands. It has a motorised tuning which is another complicated feature.

Regards

P.Rajan

Dear Mr Pandu Rajan,

Thank you very much for your post. I am Prabhat Chandra who spoke to you from Dehradun. Miroflex is my pen name on this site. I had posted my requirement here in the hope that I might be lucky enough to find the speakers with some member here.

Regards.

Hi,

I consulted Mr Viren Bakshi, the well known designer and manufacturer of valve amplifiers and the proprietor of Lyrita Audio, regarding the feasibility of introducing an output transformer and a low impedance speaker in the bass amplifier section of the radio.

He advised that this would entail a redesign of the output stage of the bass amplifier and that it would be easier to have the voice coil of the speaker rewound.

I invite advice and suggestions regarding the purchase of a modern speaker and having its voice coil rewound to 700 ohms.

Regards.

Dear All,

You will be happy to know that, with Mr Pandu Rajan's help, a pair of original speakers and a new dial for the BX998A have been located in Holland. We are trying to bring them safely to India.

Thanks for all the help and from members, including Mr Viren Bakshi via PM.

Regards.

Last edited:
Dear Mr Pandu Rajan,

Thank you very much for your post. I am Prabhat Chandra who spoke to you from Dehradun. Miroflex is my pen name on this site. I had posted my requirement here in the hope that I might be lucky enough to find the speakers with some member here.

Regards.
Dear Sir

This is going to be a longish post thus I beg your indulgence.

It is doubtful if any of the commercial repair people mentioned in this thread can restore a BX998A. The electrical circuit and it parts are very challenging. More than that the mechanicals are extremely complicated. Philips radio were very intricate but this one was over the top even for them. As an analogy functions of this radio will require a microprocessor device today. Philips did this with a maze of electro-mechanical devices.

Some years ago I was given (or what was left of it) a BX998A. The previous owners had left it unused it in a outdoor shed for several years. As a result the outer cabinet was destroyed by seepage/worms and dangerous critters were crawling all over it. I didn't dare take it indoors and left it a corner of the garden. After several days of insecticide treatment I was able to investigate and it dawned on me that fixing such a complex thing was beyond my scope. It would have required the perseverance and skills of our respected Shri Pandu Rajan ji to attempt any such repairs.

But despite such abuse the chassis and body parts were in fair condition. There was no corrosion, the golden lettering were still perfect, the golden liner on the knobs were still shining. Just goes to show the quality.

It stayed outside for a couple of years then one day the remains were simply thrown over of the boundary wall. My wife felt that such broken wrecks bring ill luck to the household. I thought of recovering some parts but in the end saw the futility of it.

Your radio with high impedance speakers was part of a quirky Philips design philosophy. It seems they were always tinkering with the output stage of their radios. Even a simple SE output stage transformer would have multiple primary and secondary wiring. The wiring were variously used for power supply smoothing, feedback network, tone/volume control, etc. Thus it is very difficult to find a standard replacement in case the original transformer is damaged.

So why they were doing this? I can only guess they were trying to optimize the manufacturing cost. I think by mid 50s they had the PL/UL series valves and combined with OPT-less design they could have a radio without a single transformer in it. But in plush Bi-Ampli /Reverbo series of radios (such as BX998A) cost doesn't seem to be a limiting factor. They could have well gone for conventional push pull output stage which other high end models such as Pye Cambridge (Our esteemed FM Shri Rajiv from Chennai had one) used. Thus I can't conclusive think that cost saving was the only factor. It is just my guess work.

Incidentally, I have seen an advertisement for BX998A on Readers Digest of 1961 which mentioned the price as only Rs 750. As a comparison my father who was an Engineer earned Rs 300/pm those days.

It is good that Shri Pandu Rajan has located a high impendence driver in Holland. From my experience you can find one in India also if you ask around old repair shops. Trust me on this. There were plenty of these radio sold in India.

In lieu of the said loudspeaker another option could be using a 30 Watt Line Matching PA transformer. The primary will probably reflect an impedance of 600 ~ 800 ohm from the 8 ohm tap. It is just a thought thus kindly don't take my words on it. However if left with no option I will personally explore this further. I think the bandwidth will be quite wide for the application.

Whatever is the case please make all reasonable efforts to restore this radio. I have seen these models in action and you can't possibly get a better valve radio than this.

Warm regards

aks

Dear Mr AKS07,

Thank you very much for your most interesting and informative post.

I was very sorry to hear about the sad fate of the BX998A which was given to you. Its speakers and other parts would have proved very useful in the restoration of my radio.

It is very interesting to know that a Reader's Digest issue of 1961 carried an advertisement of the Philips BX998A. In case you have the issue with you I'd like to have a photocopy of the ad and will PM you my address.

Mr Viren Bakshi of Lyrita Audio has suggested that a speaker manufacturer could have the voice coil of a 10" speaker wound to 700 ohms to replace the BX998A's bass speaker. It is an idea worth considering.

In case you or anyone else knows of a BX998A or any other high quality radio languishing in a radio shop or elsewhere I'd be glad to hear about it.

Regards.

Dear Sir

As it often happens we realize the worth of something only when it is gone. And we need something when we have just discarded it. This the reason in our hobby we tend to horde stuff but most of the times our wives don't see the merit. And as always they win these "to keep or not to keep" battles in the most ruthless manner.

I should have at least recovered the Power transformer as shortly after throwing away the lot my phono amp PT got melted. The original Philips transformer would have been an excellent replacement.

I don't think I can anymore trace that old advertisement as its been several years since we packed the old RD issues in boxes. It will be quite a task.

Shall keep an eye for high imp speaker. Its been a while since I fraternised with the people in this trade. But I am hopeful as just last year I got an used tuning gang and a pair of NOS IFT from the old Philips shop to repair my radio.

Since Allahabad is an old town you can ask around the older parts of the city for radio repair shops. Most of the repair guys are in their 70s but can still be a source of help. That is how it works in my case.

Warm regards

aks

Hello there,
I am writing to you from Greece. I own a Philips BX998A in a rather good condition. I think the only problem is the grease on its pulleys got sticky after many years it was not used and needs cleaning and maybe replacing. I have the cloth on its front face damaged and would like to ask if there is a source of this material to replace it. Any help would me appreciated.
Thnx

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back