Tonearm dampening fluid

Hi all,
I have an Audio Technica AT LP 120 USB turntable. The tonearm drops like a rock when the tonearm lifter is released. Think the dampening gel has dried up or needs filling. Had ordered twice from turntableneedles.com but both time the consignment didn't reach me. The tracking shows it reaches Delhi but then vanishes. So anyone in this forum who can help me source this fluid? Looked for the same in local market but found no luck.
Regards
Amitava

You can use racing bike oil as a replacement. Add few drops of Rat-Adhesive easily available as pads at local stores. I used it successfully many times.

You can use racing bike oil as a replacement. Add few drops of Rat-Adhesive easily available as pads at local stores. I used it successfully many times.
Are you suggesting engine oil of cars and bikes? That is not suitable. Silicone fluid is used in model radio control (RC) cars etc and not the real ones.
Also , please do not use or advocate the use of rat trap glue. It is inhuman and also banned.

Regards,

Are you suggesting engine oil of cars and bikes? That is not suitable. Silicone fluid is used in model radio control (RC) cars etc and not the real ones.
Also , please do not use or advocate the use of rat trap glue. It is inhuman and also banned.
Plz talk on topic only avoiding undue discussions. I suggested available parts in India. Maharashtra government banned that glue for using on animals as it was inhumane killing rodents after prolong starvation & I am not advocating such type of use by commenting here. We can use it for increasing viscosity of super bike oils just as a DIY purpose to solve out his current issue of unable to find that silicon dampening fluid.

Plz talk on topic only avoiding undue discussions. I suggested available parts in India. Maharashtra government banned that glue for using on animals as it was inhumane killing rodents after prolong starvation & I am not advocating such type of use by commenting here. We can use it for increasing viscosity of super bike oils just as a DIY purpose to solve out his current issue of unable to find that silicon dampening fluid.
Please do not give ambiguous and incorrect advice.

What superbike or racing bike oils you are talking about? Would be better if you provide a link..

You are confusing between model RC cars that are raced and regular full size bikes that are ridden by humans. It is the former that uses silicone fluids of the type used in tonearm lifts.

Regarding the rat glue , it is the careless disposal that everyone does that causes problems.

Silicone fluids are available locally, I have provided some links. The corner gym in OPs area may also have some , as it is used in treadmills.

Regards,

Last edited:
Organic oil spoil rubber and plastic. That's why they shouldn't be used in delicate components. silicon oil doesn't react with rubber and plastic. Silicon oil and silicon grease are easily avaible on amazon.

Oil can damage rubber, plastic in a number of ways, including:
  • Softening: In the short term, oil can make rubber softer and more flexible.
  • Swelling: Coconut oil can cause rubber to swell and change its physical properties.
  • Cracking: Oil can reduce rubber's tensile strength, which can lead to cracking and splitting.
  • Breakdown: Over time, oil can break down natural rubber
  • Motor oil: Can cause some plastics to become brittle, cracked, or discolored

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back