When will we see this kind of price and warranty/returns in India?

I have been hearing these prophecies from the time of the term/s of Manmohan Singh. At that time the narrative was slightly different but the rationale and premise was the same. Today, Narendra Modi is 2 terms down, the people whom we called "young" in Manmohan Singh's term/s have now gotten much older and the then aged are dying or dead, but the same strawman narrative is being rehashed even now.
I'd like to see this happen in my lifetime but time is running out. For me. :p
Totally agree, the quality of the population matters more than quantity or whether young or old.

I have been hearing these prophecies from the time of the term/s of Manmohan Singh. At that time the narrative was slightly different but the rationale and premise was the same. Today, Narendra Modi is 2 terms down, the people whom we called "young" in Manmohan Singh's term/s have now gotten much older and the then aged are dying or dead, but the same strawman narrative is being rehashed even now.
We can see this complicated equlibruim in number of places. A policeman gets a bribe from a street vendor - the street vendor shouldn't be setting up shop there but that violation helps him earn his livelihood; the policeman allows the violation because it suits him, etc.

This is also the reason that we are forced to get certificate for various things like disability, legal heir, medical leave, etc etc.

Unless we move to next level where people (>98%) feel being honest is good for them and the immediate society, we wont see changes in either distributor pricing or return policies.

It’s been already happening with phones as smartphones became mainstream in India. Even the elusive Apple has started manufacturing and now is scaling up aggressively here.

I already see the signs. 10 years ago, we didn’t even get the good stuff from a lot of brands, while nowadays even Samsung OLED TVs or a lot of BMW cars are made in India. Our local players which used to be absolutely trash on world stage are now exporting products to other countries (phones, cars etc).

I was in Australia and NZ last month and I saw a decent number of Mahindra SUVs there. Those are advanced countries.

If you need numbers, think about it this way. India is about 20 years behind where China is now economically, and China became an extremely mainstream market for every brand in mid 2010s so about 10-12 years ago. From that trajectory, India will become the top 3 market for most brands in ~10 years.

Unfortunately right now we’re in a bad stage where the government has increased import duties to increase domestic manufacturing but the domestic manufacturing isn’t at scale yet. But this is pretty much the worst it’s going to get. Every year things will improve bit by bit

I can see where my post could have been misunderstood or misinterpreted and that is totally my fault - I should have been clearer wrt what my gripe was.
I was and am not disputing market volume and market share. My post was about this affecting the original premise and intent of this thread.

If you think about it, we are helping the dealers finance the return policy in countries like us by overpaying 2x and getting treated like 2nd class citizens.

It's okay though. Our time will come soon. Just by quantity we will be able to force companies soon, assuming we get the netas on our side to force the companies.

And for those thinking no it will not happen... Just look at the numbers... Our population is 5-6x of the USA.. Most of their population is aging or has already aged... Ours on the other hand is young and income is continuously rising for the top 10% at least... Soon even a 5% Indian market might be worth the same as a 50% market share in the USA.

Soon is not soon in current generation terms measured in hours but rather years. Soon IMHO will be next 5-7 years
I doubt it..
50 % of our population is on subsidy and earns 70,000 rs a year

If you earn 5lakhs a year you are in the top 10% of india and this may be around 6000 usd

The median salary in UD ie salary of 50% of its people is 75,000 which is 12 times that

US has only 30 % of indias population but even 10 % of our population earns only a small fraction.

Even with an exaggerated growth it might take more than a generation to even start comparing.

US has only 30 % of indias population but even 10 % of our population earns only a small fraction.
Yes overall I understand your point and there is really no way for me to refute your outcome as a possibility too...only time will tell how the ratio of income pans out (us debt is I think almost 70-80% of their gdp now)

The population ratio by the way is close to 1:4-1:5

I have always wondered how Made in China , Malaysia , Taiwan , OR for that matter even Japan can be more costly in India (some times 2 to 3 times) compared to US or UK price . It cant be shipping costs for sure, if one looks at the map . Are duties in US and UK compared to India so low to justify the price difference ? . I think whatever one does the Indian way of doing Business will ensure that we end up paying more even if taxes are reduced

Probably there is much more to taxes than What I have listed below - But is the difference 100 or 200% ?

US - A general rule of thumb is that if your product has an HS Code starting with the numbers 9003 - 9006, it’s considered an electronic good and will attract 6% duty if it’s for commercial use

India - Basic custom Duty - 7.5% + Integrated Goods and Service Tax (IGST) - 18% + other charges = 26.85% Custom Duty on Electronic Items in India Import After GST. You can import elecronic goods from China if other requirements are fulfilled like you possess IEC code, have a Bank account in a scheduled bank etc.

I have always wondered how Made in China , Malaysia , Taiwan , OR for that matter even Japan can be more costly in India (some times 2 to 3 times) compared to US or UK price . It cant be shipping costs for sure, if one looks at the map . Are duties in US and UK compared to India so low to justify the price difference ? . I think whatever one does the Indian way of doing Business will ensure that we end up paying more even if taxes are reduced

Probably there is much more to taxes than What I have listed below - But is the difference 100 or 200% ?

US - A general rule of thumb is that if your product has an HS Code starting with the numbers 9003 - 9006, it’s considered an electronic good and will attract 6% duty if it’s for commercial use

India - Basic custom Duty - 7.5% + Integrated Goods and Service Tax (IGST) - 18% + other charges = 26.85% Custom Duty on Electronic Items in India Import After GST. You can import elecronic goods from China if other requirements are fulfilled like you possess IEC code, have a Bank account in a scheduled bank etc.
It’s also the volume - Manufacturers don’t have a standard global price. A friend of mine works at Delta ( visual technologies provider brands like Vivitek ), and he was saying each worldwide region has an independent Delta entity that orders directly with the factory. So a country like the US, or even Japan places much larger orders than India ( orders of magnitude ), and get correspondingly lower prices

Yes overall I understand your point and there is really no way for me to refute your outcome as a possibility too...only time will tell how the ratio of income pans out (us debt is I think almost 70-80% of their gdp now)

Yes it's all conjecture .
Indias total debt (including state debt) is close to 86% although only 18% is external. US is mostly internal and even external is in usd and that's an advantage

Even if us grows at 2 and india at ( best case) may still not see it for a really long time

Imho the main question by the FM is not population, volume of sales or demographic age.
It's the return policy pertaining to dealers which is generally due to the customer mentality.
I guess the quality matters more than the quantity here.

OP no offence but your post is outdated now, clearance is crazier at Target stores. C3 55 40k/483usd brand new, don't think such pricing will ever hit us 😂 Anything above 32 inches is a luxury it seems here and will remain so until domestic manufacturing boosts desi BPL to LG levels. 1000055627.jpg

OP no offence but your post is outdated now, clearance is crazier at Target stores. C3 55 40k/483usd brand new, don't think such pricing will ever hit us 😂 Anything above 32 inches is a luxury it seems here and will remain so until domestic manufacturing boosts desi BPL to LG levels. View attachment 84167
He will probably pay 100 usd though if he ever hires someone else to install wall mount for him. And probably has to do all his chores without help from bai or plumber or cleaner.

Grass always seems to be greener on the other side

Imho the main question by the FM is not population, volume of sales or demographic age.
It's the return policy pertaining to dealers which is generally due to the customer mentality.
I guess the quality matters more than the quantity here.
They’re not necessarily disconnected. If a dealer makes more money per transaction, they can fund a good return policy ( predicated of course as you say on good customer mentality ).

When we push and push for discounts, we are also taking away the dealers ability and desire to provide good service

They’re not necessarily disconnected. If a dealer makes more money per transaction, they can fund a good return policy ( predicated of course as you say on good customer mentality ).

When we push and push for discounts, we are also taking away the dealers ability and desire to provide good service
I read a quote somewhere that the last 10% discount you push from a vendor will be difference between a happy and disgruntled employee with the vendor.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back