Right HDMI Cable for DTX, Dolby Surround & Dolby Atmos?

apoorvasheth

Hello All,

I have connected my SONY A80L OLED TV (HDMI 3 - eArc) to Yamaha RX-V685 Amp (HDMI Out 2 - Arc) using a Belkin HDMI Cable. You may kindly refer to below pictures. I opened Bravia Core App & played few movies which are recorded in 5.1, Dolby ATMOS, DTS & Stereo sound quality.

My concern is that when I play the movie & set the audio programme on my Yamaha RX-V685 to DTS Neural:X decoder, I don't feel even 1% of its effects though I haven't ever experienced DTSX sound technology before however this sounds so plain & simple. Rather the sound from YouTube is more impressive. Why is this happening?

Belkin HDMI Cable (Real).jpg

Belkin HDMI Cable - 1.jpg

Belkin HDMI Cable - 2.jpg

Yamaha RX-V685 Amp.jpg

Jumanji - Bravia Core.jpg

Try some action scenes or scenes with crowds etc. Also check the levels of the surrounds.
Thank you for your response. Can you recommend me some good movies in which such action scenes or with crowds appear so that, I can play them. I feel my HDMI cable possibly is the main culprit which stops me from experiencing the "True Sound quality".

Actually my surrounds are Harman Kardon HKTS 9 on-wall satellite speakers bought way back in February 2013, quite old.

Now since on the front I have bought JBL 630 Bookshelf, JBL 625C Center channel so I am planning to replace my surrounds with JBL 620.

You might find this stupid but change the HDMI cable to this one - https://theaudio.co/products/bullet-train-48gbps-hdmi-2-1-10k-120hz-high-speed-hdmi-cable-1 and use a wired connection from your router..You will definetly notice what you are expecting
Wow, this HDMI cable truly looks great considering the amount of features it offers. I think I do not need to worry about picture quality as that will be taken care of by my SONY A80L's internal picture technology - XR OLED Contrast Pro considering I am never going to connect any of the following to my Yamaha RX-V685 Amp - PS5, STB, Blu-ray player, etc...

My concern is purely about the true sound quality that I am unable to experience right now either for Dolby Audio or DTS X. I noticed on the link above you shared that while it supports eARC but here is another prime concern - While my SONY A80L has eArc on HDMI 3 but my Yamaha RX-V685 Amp doesn't on its HDMI Out 2 as it is ARC. I know eArc is backward compatible but will the audio technology such as DTSX, Dolby Audio/Atmos transferred into the Arc port of the amp be able to output that type of sound as well from my JBL speakers?

One thing, it seems this HDMI cable at the link above doesn't support Dolby Atmos as it "precisely" isn't mentioned.

Also, - They seem to get expensive as the meter lenght is increased...(-:

Edge Of Tomorrow, Any Marvel Film

I don't know what you mean by "true sound quality" in this case.

Are you unable to hear anything through the satellites at all?

Here's one other way to troubleshoot it. Connect your Front left and right to the surround left and right to make sure that you can actually hear the sounds meant to be present in these channels.

Both AVR & TV should support eARC then only your AVR will decode Dolby Atmos & dts X. Either you need to change the source of your videos to a media player like Apple TV, Firestick 4K, (both only supports atmos & not dts X) Nvidia shield TV pro or Zidoo (both supports all the formats including dolby atmos & dts X)

Media player >>>AVR >>> Display should be your sequence.

Also get your room calibration done with YPAO & I am sure you’ll have the great results.

Both AVR & TV should support eARC then only your AVR will decode Dolby Atmos
Not true. I am getting Atmos from my Sony TV to my Marantz SR 7010 which does not have eArc. My older Sony TV too did not have eArc and I had no problem getting Atmos from it.

If I set my Marantz to Auto, it will recognize DTS too from Sony Core movies.

Not true. I am getting Atmos from my Sony TV to my Marantz SR 7010 which does not have eArc. My older Sony TV too did not have eArc and I had no problem getting Atmos from it.
Is it so? My LG oled has ARC but never received got ATMOS through ARC from it. Also the SQ in dolby digital + too wasn’t that good as compared to what when I play through Nvidia shield TV pro. I am using bluerigger’s hdmi from AVR to TV.

If I set my Marantz to Auto, it will recognize DTS too from Sony Core movies.
Do you mean DTS X or just DTS?

Is it so? My LG oled has ARC but never received got ATMOS through ARC from it. Also the SQ in dolby digital + too wasn’t that good as compared to what when I play through Nvidia shield TV pro. I am using bluerigger’s hdmi from AVR to TV.

Do you mean DTS X or just DTS?
Netflix via my Xbox S sounds better than Netflix via my Sony TV. This is not a Arc or eArc issue though.

DTS as my receiver does not decode DTS-X. DTS-X might require eARC.

Netflix via my Xbox S sounds better than Netflix via my Sony TV. This is not a Arc or eArc issue though.

DTS as my receiver does not decode DTS-X. DTS-X might require eARC.
So a display with eARC can send the atmos signal to the AVR with ARC but can’t send dts X signal as it needs eARC at both ends. Is that right?

So a display with eARC can send the atmos signal to the AVR with ARC but can’t send dts X signal as it needs eARC at both ends. Is that right?
My earlier TV was the Sony 65X90E. This did not have eARC. I was getting Atmos from it. Atmos does not require eARC at either ends. DTS-X might. I can't confirm as my receiver does not support DTS-X.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back