10 ohms closed back 5.25" midrange drivers?

shambles1980

ok, long story short.
making a couple of cabinets..
I bought the wrong bass speakers which are 8 ohm. "wanted 6 ohm" so the only way i can properly distribute the power is by using 10 ohm midrange drivers.

(should have been 8 ohm mids with 6ohm bass giving the bass more of the power with crossover setup making the cabinet a nominal 8ohm. "although it reads at 7.3 ohms with a 6ohm bass driver" it seems maths has failed me. as it should have been 8 ohm..)

any way it seems pretty impossible to find 10 ohm mid range drivers with a closed back at 5.25"
It would probably be better to just swap out the bass drivers with 6ohm ones.
But i was thinking i could just add a 2ohm wire wound resistor in seriese to the mid range driver..

my maths says that the mid range should be getting about 25W of the power (at full volume) "if its 10 ohms or if the bass was 6 ohms"
so whats the lowest wattage resistor i could safley use to increase the ohms of the mid range.
im not overly fussy about the midrange output because it will be quiet compared to the 8" driver and the tweeter.
The mid range drivers i am using now will be getting replaced. so a reasonable closed back ~30W 10ohm mid range 5.25-6" driver that you know about i can buy in the uk for a low price would be acceptable as a solution too.

i do think people will want to tell me to just get the correct ohm speakers to work with what i had initaly planned. but i have been using the 8ohm drivers and noticed that the midrange was a bit louder than i wanted and measuring the ohms on the 8" showed why.. when i connected up an old jammo 8" 6ohm woofer the mid range was at the correct level.
But because i have been using them its not going to be a simple matter of return and exchange.

Im not overy fussy about the finished cabs nominal ohms i am aiming for 8 ohms. but my amp can happily supply 4 ohms.
so a few tweaks here and there arent going to scuttle the boat.

If i have to tweak the crossovers then i will if needed but they should be fine as they are, 2ohms either way shouldnt be much of an issue for the crossovers. "they will probably need tweaking as the project progresses any way"
and the over all nominal ohms of the speakers combined will still end up in the same ball park its just the mid has to have higher ohms now instead of the bass driver having lower ohms as i had initially planned.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back