1000 best Jazz Albums you must own

SuhasG

Hi All,

Starting a jazz collection is something every well-rounded music listener considers. Unfortunately, most folks have trouble getting started because they don't know where to begin. Do you start chronologically with Louis Armstrong or do you jump right into the new stuff ? how about the '50's and '60's? Everyone is different, so where you begin will depend a lot on your musical taste.

There probably isn't one, or even one dozen, particular place(s) to start. The beautiful thing about jazz is often one of the most frustrating things about it too ? it is just so flexible and stylistically varied.

I once heard somewhere that the way to start a good jazz collection is to buy the albums of Miles Davis, and then buy the albums of the sidemen on those albums, and then the sidemen on THOSE albums, and so on.

Anyway I have compiled a list of some 1000 Jazz albums to help you build your Jazz collection as well as discover the essentials about the music, its players and its rich history.

Please check my web site:

http://www.freewebs.com/jazzsuhas/

and download the list.

There's a lot of great music out there. Take your time and have fun exploring the world of jazz!

Suhas G

Thanks Suhas for this interesting list. I have recently started with Jazz and am simply loving it!

I have Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, but am leaning ore towards smmoth jazz like Fourplay, Bob James, Earl Klugh, etc.

Can you point out some good smooth jazz albums I can add to my collection?

Thanks Suhas for this interesting list. I have recently started with Jazz and am simply loving it!

I have Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, but am leaning ore towards smmoth jazz like Fourplay, Bob James, Earl Klugh, etc.

Can you point out some good smooth jazz albums I can add to my collection?

Hi Jagat,

If Your Leaning Is Towards Smooth or Progressive Jazz, here are a few of my favourites besides the ones you already mentioned...

1) Four 80 East
2) Weather Report
3) Pat Metheny
4) John Scofield
5) Clarence Clemons (Album: Peace Prayer)
6) Dead Can Dance (Good Album To Start With Would Be "Into The Labyrinth")
7) Hooverphonic
8) Gotan Project
9) St.Germain (Album:Tourist)
10) Mugatroyd Trio
11) Paul Hardcastle (I Have A Feeling You Will Love This One The Most)

Regards

SavantGarde

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back