180W CLass -AB AMP

adas

Hi ,
So after a lot of tinkering and time consuming research... I have finally nailed it , here is my amplifier module that can put out a clean 160-180W at 4E and 80-110W at 8E ,it has all the protection needed , thermal , short-circuit , delayed turn on , DC detect etc.I had this amp measured through a frnd who had access to a audio precision and the thd measurements were well below 0.1% at full power and abysmally low at -1db , Snr hovers around -100db to -105db. What surprised me the most was the tonal character the mid where more open ,highs were very airly and well articulated and bass was scary good...

Attachments

• IMG_20190526_225541.jpg
    IMG_20190526_225541.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_20190526_225553.jpg
    IMG_20190526_225553.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 300
Just superb. Hats off to ur capabilities. Now if you can pack it up like an international amp company with European style casing u shall be laughing all the way to your bank . Do the best with initial looks and rest shall follow

Hi ,
So after a lot of tinkering and time consuming research... I have finally nailed it , here is my amplifier module that can put out a clean 160-180W at 4E and 80-110W at 8E ,it has all the protection needed , thermal , short-circuit , delayed turn on , DC detect etc.I had this amp measured through a frnd who had access to a audio precision and the thd measurements were well below 0.1% at full power and abysmally low at -1db , Snr hovers around -100db to -105db. What surprised me the most was the tonal character the mid where more open ,highs were very airly and well articulated and bass was scary good...

Can you provide some more details?
And post some output charts?

Cost breakups?
From where you bought the chips/board et al? (? Partsespress? Diyaudio?)

Can you provide some more details?
And post some output charts?

Cost breakups?
From where you bought the chips/board et al? (? Partsespress? Diyaudio?)
This is my design , and components mostly procured from local market and some online stores as element 14..

The NAMUS boards used to be available in four versions in the local Chennia market.
They were budget modules priced between 500 rupees and 2000 rupees depending on the version and I think the manufacturer was based out of Mumbai

The NAMUS boards used to be available in four versions in the local Chennia market.
They were budget modules priced between 500 rupees and 2000 rupees depending on the version and I think the manufacturer was based out of Mumbai
Hi kannan , don't go by the name this is something I have designed nothing to do with what's available in Chennai market. Guess I have picked a wrong name for my boards..

What's the point here?

What's the point here?
The remark from Kannan probably came because you can clearly see the name NAMUS printed on the PCB near the output transistors, and Kannan had heard the name somewhere.

That apart, it's really great to hear that someone on this forum has designed an amp from scratch: we don't hear such things much here. :D Can you share some details about the topology, the devices used, etc? Also, can you share any distortion graphs? Any details about your thinking behind the design, what you were trying to achieve, etc?

The remark from Kannan probably came because you can clearly see the name NAMUS printed on the PCB near the output transistors, and Kannan had heard the name somewhere.

That apart, it's really great to hear that someone on this forum has designed an amp from scratch: we don't hear such things much here. :D Can you share some details about the topology, the devices used, etc? Also, can you share any distortion graphs? Any details about your thinking behind the design, what you were trying to achieve, etc?
Devices are the humble 2SC5200 & 1943, design follows roughly around blameless topology with some tweaks. I was trying to achieve the smallest modular design(114X58mm) that would have all the protections & that i can use in most of my design like amps , plate amp , active speakers etc ...
Just could find one thd graph seemed to have lost rest of data in the crashed hdd.... The thd graph is recorded on full power , should have done it at -3db would have gotten way better numbers

Regards
Aniket Das(Mumbai)

Attachments

• thd 200W.JPG
    thd 200W.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 73
Great work brother. the modules look very neat. it's really commendable you squeezed in the amp section and protection circuitry in such a small form factor. great going.

Regards,
Aniket

Devices are the humble 2SC5200 & 1943, design follows roughly around blameless topology with some tweaks. I was trying to achieve the smallest modular design(114X58mm) that would have all the protections & that i can use in most of my design like amps , plate amp , active speakers etc ...
Very nice. I too feel that it makes a lot of sense to add the speaker protection into the amp PCB to save space and wires. And a small Blameless PCB makes a lot of sense, usable in so many places.

Your THD graph seems to have been measured with a 20KHz measurement bandwidth, that's why the curve is dropping after about 5KHz. A typical Blameless type topology will show a steadily rising THD curve beyond a couple of KHz. If your testbench is still available, maybe you can try some more measurements at 80KHz bandwidth this time? :)

Did you use solid state speaker protection? I am not sure, I think I saw relays on your photo.

Good to see two OPS transistors per rail. This is the minimum, I feel. The original Doug Self Blameless used one device per rail, and then he went and build a derivative called Load Invariant or something, with two per rail.

Were your PCBs made by PCBpower?

Last edited:

This merchant is selling couple other versions.

Hi ,

Hi,

Looks like your design is copied by some mass marketeer. Same product is being sold on indiamart with same name. In fact he seems to be offering various option in power as well. If it's you, then let me congratulate you on turning your hobby into entrepreneurship.

Please don't be offended by my message, I searched for it and stumbled upon this.

https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/namus-0-1v-amplifier-module-20668831988.html

Cheers !

Hi,

Looks like your design is copied by some mass marketeer. Same product is being sold on indiamart with same name. In fact he seems to be offering various option in power as well. If it's you, then let me congratulate you on turning your hobby into entrepreneurship.

Please don't be offended by my message, I searched for it and stumbled upon this.

https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/namus-0-1v-amplifier-module-20668831988.html

Cheers !
Hi, no it's not being copied , it's a small try at entrepreneurship..

Regards
Aniket das

Very nice. I too feel that it makes a lot of sense to add the speaker protection into the amp PCB to save space and wires. And a small Blameless PCB makes a lot of sense, usable in so many places.

Your THD graph seems to have been measured with a 20KHz measurement bandwidth, that's why the curve is dropping after about 5KHz. A typical Blameless type topology will show a steadily rising THD curve beyond a couple of KHz. If your testbench is still available, maybe you can try some more measurements at 80KHz bandwidth this time? :)

Did you use solid state speaker protection? I am not sure, I think I saw relays on your photo.

Good to see two OPS transistors per rail. This is the minimum, I feel. The original Doug Self Blameless used one device per rail, and then he went and build a derivative called Load Invariant or something, with two per rail.

Were your PCBs made by PCBpower?
Hi , if I remember correctly this batch was from China ..

Regards
Aniket Das

Hi ,
Hi
Are these available for sale? As in fully assembled Amplifier with casing and knobs etc

I had this amp measured through a frnd who had access to a audio precision and the thd measurements were well below 0.1% at full power and abysmally low at -1db , Snr hovers around -100db to -105db. What surprised me the most was the tonal character the mid where more open ,highs were very airly and well articulated and bass was scary good...
Can you share his/her contact no. I had posted about this couple of months ago to see if anyone can help measuring stuff here
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...st-amplifier-chokes-inductors-caps-etc.78358/
Thanks and regards.

Last edited:
Hi
Are these available for sale? As in fully assembled Amplifier with casing and knobs etc
Please PM me to know more.

Hi Hiten,
I have most of the instruments for checking out the stuff you need.
Please get in touch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back