2.0 or 2.1 Speakers for Desktop - upto ₹25K

HarshaRaj

Hello!

I am planning to build a new desktop tower (with the new Nvidia 3070 GPU). Also planning to buy a good speaker too.

Usage: Gaming and movies mainly. Occasional music. Will also android connect phone/echo dot
Budget: upto ₹25K
Room size: 15 feet x 10 feet
Desk Placement: Middle of the 15 feet wall against it. The speakers and subwoofer will all be placed on the wooden table

I have been researching a lot (kinda overwhelming) - broadly there see,s to be two types: Active and Passive.

Q1 - Is it worth to invest on passive speakers for 25K budget or simply go with active once. I have no clue on the passive setup.

Q2 - If going the active way:
  1. I had first shortlisted for Logitech Z263/Z65 speakers and soon learnt to stay away from it as per various forums.
  2. Next choice was the Edifier speakers - they have lot of bookshelf speakers which I read they are suitable for desktop setup too for gaming/movies. Looks like 2.1 setup will give rich audio experience and I saw the S350DB model which is indeed expensive than Z263. However, it they are really worth the price and will have a long life, I am willing to spend.
  3. I also looked at Edifier R1850DB model. This seems promising as I can invest only around ₹14K and then gauge if the bass is good enough. If required, then I can add in a active subwoofer later. The only good subwoofer I can see if Yamaha 100W NS SW (has range of 25–180 Hz and is sufficient?) which I will invest after couple of months. I think this will give a better audio experience compared to buying S350DB?
Q3 - I have not purchased a separate speaker before. How much of a difference will there be between 2.1 speaker which costs around ₹3k vs the ones which are above ₹15K?

Please let me know if Passive or S350DB or R1850DB + 100W NS SW or there is any other alternative?

Thanks!

For desktop actives may be the practical way to go.
Specially if use case is gaming and movies.

If going passive, do consider Allo Volt+ or Volt+D
Volt+D is a pretty decent amp with volume control at arm's reach at a desktop.
I'm assuming that the desktop/laptop can put out 2V after DAC.
If not you may need a DAC.

Sub I have no idea, in this budget.

Cheers,
Raghu

For desktop, active speakers makes a lot of sense. Check out Vander & Thonet Kugel as well, it's well within your budget and enough bass to let go having a sub. And may be you can invest in a good DAC before going to Sub.
Do audition!!

Hello!

I am planning to build a new desktop tower (with the new Nvidia 3070 GPU). Also planning to buy a good speaker too.

Usage: Gaming and movies mainly. Occasional music. Will also android connect phone/echo dot
Budget: upto ₹25K
Room size: 15 feet x 10 feet
Desk Placement: Middle of the 15 feet wall against it. The speakers and subwoofer will all be placed on the wooden table

I have been researching a lot (kinda overwhelming) - broadly there see,s to be two types: Active and Passive.

Q1 - Is it worth to invest on passive speakers for 25K budget or simply go with active once. I have no clue on the passive setup.

Q2 - If going the active way:
  1. I had first shortlisted for Logitech Z263/Z65 speakers and soon learnt to stay away from it as per various forums.
  2. Next choice was the Edifier speakers - they have lot of bookshelf speakers which I read they are suitable for desktop setup too for gaming/movies. Looks like 2.1 setup will give rich audio experience and I saw the S350DB model which is indeed expensive than Z263. However, it they are really worth the price and will have a long life, I am willing to spend.
  3. I also looked at Edifier R1850DB model. This seems promising as I can invest only around ₹14K and then gauge if the bass is good enough. If required, then I can add in a active subwoofer later. The only good subwoofer I can see if Yamaha 100W NS SW (has range of 25–180 Hz and is sufficient?) which I will invest after couple of months. I think this will give a better audio experience compared to buying S350DB?
Q3 - I have not purchased a separate speaker before. How much of a difference will there be between 2.1 speaker which costs around ₹3k vs the ones which are above ₹15K?

Please let me know if Passive or S350DB or R1850DB + 100W NS SW or there is any other alternative?

Thanks!

Check Swans or Edifier....see Youtube videos to get an idea....

For desktop, active speakers makes a lot of sense. Check out Vander & Thonet Kugel as well, it's well within your budget and enough bass to let go having a sub. And may be you can invest in a good DAC before going to Sub.
Do audition!!
So I saw a video where the built-in sound components of the motherboard will give you electrical interference and hence would give noise in the speaker. To over come this, get a DAC.

What DAC is suggested for active speakers to desktop?

I have a desk setup with a pair of Mackie MR624 fed by Topping E30 DAC. Imaging and details are very well perceived, and they sound bigger than they look. You can also look at JBL studio monitors.

Considering your room size u might need 5inch active speakers my suggestion are

JBL k4 nano (Amazon)
Presonus Eris 4.5(bajaao)(my favourite)
Thonet and vander kugel (open box)(bajaao) (most powerful of them all)
Alesis Elevate mk2 (bajaao)

You can also go with used market and with 25k there are a lot of good options

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back