40 inch LED samsung or 40 inch LED panasonic? Please help me decide...

ramlin

First of all, I want to write what a wonderful forum this is - I have been lurking around and reading at the the thoughtful and sage advice that has been given and hope you can help me.

I am thinking of buying a new TV (my old one (15 years old) has died). I am not looking for a 3D TV. It would be nice if the TV is a "smart TV" but this is not a must since I have just bought a Sony blu ray player that has many smart TV features. I would like a TV that has good picture quality in both HD and SD and is not difficult to operate (my wife is a one button sort of person....). The TV should be between 40 and 42 inches. We will mainly be watching DVD's (I have a large DVD collection), xvids/divx (I have a media player if worse comes to the worse) and of course the normal television channels (some sd and some hd). We don't watch much sport - unles I'm around...and we are not gamers (although my children do have a wii). I would like usb inputs and would like to be able to attach my old laptop (if needs be) to the TV - it should also be dlna. I have no problem if the TV is wifi ready or comes with a wifi dongle (the blu rayplayer I bought is wifi and doesn't need a dongle). I would like good picture quality.

I have been to a few showrooms but the same TV's look different in different show rooms (although the samsung looks a bit too oversaturated and the panasonic a bit washed out - I assume this can be easily corrected in the picture controls). They all show HD channels under bright light and the sound is attached to a soundbar.

I have whittled down my choice to 3 TV's. The samsung es5600, the panasonic TH-LE5D and the LG 42LS5200. Where I live (which is not India) they are very similarly priced - the panasonic is 42 inches and comes with a five year guarantee and the Samsung comes with a three year guarantee - the LG comes with a three year guarantee. The panasonic has an ips panel, I believe. I have decided against the sony kdl-ex650 as it is materially more expensive than the samsung, LG and the panasonic (at least it is here).

I would therefore be grateful for any comments that you may have on the relative merits of the two TV's. I have searched on the forum and I note there are many comments on the samsung and the sony but very few, if at all, on the panasonic or LG.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Both TVs are near par with each other. Panasonic wins on longer warranty. IPS panel yields better (wider) angle of view while sacrificing on contrast/blacks.

Showrooms set the TVs picture settings on Vivid/Dynamic mode. Some may set it on different settings. Hence the same TV may appear different at different places. I will say that pick a showroom that has less bright lights. Change the TV picture setting to Normal - do a factory reset if necessary. Ask the shop owner to dim the lights if possible. Do a side by side comparison. Do a check on after sales service. These parameters will help you narrow down further.

Thank you for your reply - I just noticed another TV in the same price bracket (3 years guarantee) - the LG LS5700 - how does this compare?

You can go for Panansonic 3D LED tv. I have been using it since july 2012 and it has nice color and even Black level. I have LG bp420 Bluray player with it. Its truely treat to watch Bluray movie on it. Rest regarding IPS pannel- I have not seen any problem in color , contrast and Black level...

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back