5.1 Bose Acoustimass 10 Series IV with Onkyo TXNR 535

Viju Nair

Hi,

My home theatre setup with the following combination (5.1 Bose Acoustimass 10 Series IV with Onkyo TXNR 535) was doing well since 2015. It is connected the recommended way (the output from the amp goes to the Bose Bass unit and the bass unit powers the 5 speakers).

This September the AVR shut down like it was shorting out in some way. I powered on the AVR again and it switches off as if it was shorting out. The initial thought was one of the speaker had turned faulty and had that checked. The speakers were alright.

I engaged a trusted repairer who diagnosed the problem with the Front Left Speaker port on the Bose bass unit. Since it was 18k INR to replace the bass unit board, we decided to connect the 5 speakers directly to the AVR and only the Bass speaker wire to the bass unit. This worked well for 1 day and the shorting problem and the AVR switching off came back. With the further diagnosis...it was identified that when you bypass the pre-amp board in the AVR, the AVR doesn't switch off.

The reason to mention the above problem is to check if anyone has faced a similar problem and also to know where can I source a new pre-amp board for TXNR 535?

The AVR need to be serviced , looks to be one of the channel board is faulty. I had similar problem with my ONKYO AVR, which shuts down itself after powering on. After replacing the channel board the AVR is working fine.
I think you dont need to replace the entire preamp , may be single channel circuit board might have become faulty. Check with ONKYO service center.

Hi,

My home theatre setup with the following combination (5.1 Bose Acoustimass 10 Series IV with Onkyo TXNR 535) was doing well since 2015. It is connected the recommended way (the output from the amp goes to the Bose Bass unit and the bass unit powers the 5 speakers).

This September the AVR shut down like it was shorting out in some way. I powered on the AVR again and it switches off as if it was shorting out. The initial thought was one of the speaker had turned faulty and had that checked. The speakers were alright.

I engaged a trusted repairer who diagnosed the problem with the Front Left Speaker port on the Bose bass unit. Since it was 18k INR to replace the bass unit board, we decided to connect the 5 speakers directly to the AVR and only the Bass speaker wire to the bass unit. This worked well for 1 day and the shorting problem and the AVR switching off came back. With the further diagnosis...it was identified that when you bypass the pre-amp board in the AVR, the AVR doesn't switch off.

The reason to mention the above problem is to check if anyone has faced a similar problem and also to know where can I source a new pre-amp board for TXNR 535?

Hi,

Welcome to HFV.

I am sure you will find your experience here very enriching and enjoyable.

Make sure to visit the countless posts which is based on direct experience, technical knowledge and honest feedback.

If the post / response to you helps in any way, use the 'Like' button which is located at the right hand bottom of the post. This helps to build up positive reputation for the FM (Fellow Member).

Hope you have a great journey here!

All the best!

Evaluate if sourcing the board makes sense, usually the cost is somewhere between 20k to 40k for boards depending on model and board type. Older model boards will cost more due to scarcity.

You maybe better off buying a pre owned AVR which would be possibly available in the classifieds section of this portal or olx.

The AVR need to be serviced , looks to be one of the channel board is faulty. I had similar problem with my ONKYO AVR, which shuts down itself after powering on. After replacing the channel board the AVR is working fine.
I think you dont need to replace the entire preamp , may be single channel circuit board might have become faulty. Check with ONKYO service center.
Thank you so much @edjamesx for your reply. I was offline for a long time and hence was unable to revert to your reply. I am from India and the understanding is that Onkyo has stopped production and since TNXR 535 is an old model... availablity of parts is a challenge here. Also the service centres are generic which services all brands of AVRs. I would really appreciate if I get to know any contact in Mumbai who can service if for me.

Thank you so much @edjamesx for your reply. I was offline for a long time and hence was unable to revert to your reply. I am from India and the understanding is that Onkyo has stopped production and since TNXR 535 is an old model... availablity of parts is a challenge here. Also the service centres are generic which services all brands of AVRs. I would really appreciate if I get to know any contact in Mumbai who can service if for me.
My AVR was 11 years old still i got my AMP serviced. I know ONKYO service center in bangalore. I think there should be ONKYO service center available in Mumbai or nearest city in pune. you should be able get from google search i think.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back