55 inch TV - Couple of Questions

mitware

Hello Everyone,

I need your help with my situation and would appreciate if you can give answers to the below questions:

Background:

Currently, I have an imported LG Smart 3D TV which is barely 3 years old. It has started giving me problems. First problem - Picture won't come until you switch On-Off for at least 6-7 times (sound comes immediately). Second, black vertical line/patch comes on the left side of the TV. Technician from LG came and said that since this is imported, LG warranty won't be applicable. He said that the TV's Panel is gone and needs to be replaced. And it would cost around 55K to 60K to replace those.

He also offered to fix the Panel Problem "unofficially" for 18K - 20K. But I find it very fishy and did not proceed.

Based on all my reading here, it seems that I need to replace the TV itself as its not worth to replace the panel etc.

First - Given the background, what do you suggest I do? Replace the panel or Buy New TV?

If the answer is Buy New TV then please suggest / recommend a 55 inch TV. My primary need in a TV is as follows:

I watch downloaded movies on TV, so it needs to have USB/HDMI ports, HD Picture quality etc. Not sure about 4K, Ultra HD, HDR etc.

It should be able to display SD Content properly as there are regional channels that family watches and are available in SD only.

Manufacture Warranty: I would prefer longer manufacturer warranty due to my bad experience with LG TV above. I read @Amarendra purchase here and found it very intereting but I am not sure if it will be able to display SD content properly .

Netflix/YouTube/VLC/Amazon apps would be a Plus but not a necessity.

Thanks for your help in advance.

If you are not interested with 4k, check out panasonic tvs 49ds630 (smart tv); 49ds450 (non smart) or 58dx300d

How are Panasonic TVs in terms of performance? And how much warranty do they come with? Any idea with Haier Brand. They have 55 inch uhd TV on sale only for 45K. Downside is warranty is only for one year.

Lg imported model giving three years of life is good mate. You never know if got a refurbished unit or was it used before. This just shows how good Lg is. I have purchased 42lg80fr Jazz model in 2008 and its panel died at start of 2017. The PQ still was better than Vu and a 32 inch samsung I have owned in between. Samsung's panel died within 2 years. Vu 4k iconium was returned due poor upscaling and motion rate issues. In short buy something from Lg. UH850T 55 inch model

Lg imported model giving three years of life is good mate. You never know if got a refurbished unit or was it used before. This just shows how good Lg is. I have purchased 42lg80fr Jazz model in 2008 and its panel died at start of 2017. The PQ still was better than Vu and a 32 inch samsung I have owned in between. Samsung's panel died within 2 years. Vu 4k iconium was returned due poor upscaling and motion rate issues. In short buy something from Lg. UH850T 55 inch model

LG was Brand New as I brought it myself from USA. However your point noted with respect to picture quality etc. Any experience with Philips, they have 49 inches model with 5 Year comprehensive warranty. PQ looked decent in the store even for SD channels. They used to have similar model in 55 inches but have stopped in past few months. As per Vijay Sales, they are coming out with newer model but no ETA on that.

I have seens Lg UH850T 49inch model going for 97k-1.10 lakhs. You should try locally what's the price. You can opt for three warranty that Lg provides itself. This Tv is future proof at least for 3 years. Lg has announced they will be supporting HGL and Technicolor HDR via Firmware Update in future. So all HDR formats will be covered. If 3d is not required then LG UH770T 49inch model will also do. Its cheaper by a lot

Last edited:
LG was Brand New as I brought it myself from USA. However your point noted with respect to picture quality etc. Any experience with Philips, they have 49 inches model with 5 Year comprehensive warranty. PQ looked decent in the store even for SD channels. They used to have similar model in 55 inches but have stopped in past few months. As per Vijay Sales, they are coming out with newer model but no ETA on that.

Forget Philips 49put7791 4k, u csn go through my posts for my feedback. Yes they are giving a lot for the money and good PQ but Backlight bleeding issue on all corners n becomes visible when watching in dark b even more in dark scenes. I've got 2 replaced and now getting refund tommorow. U can check my posts with pics on Amarendra's thread of the same tv in 55".
U won't get any tv with 5 yrs or even 3 yrs warranty, atleast the well known brands won't give.
My suggestion, 1 lac is a healthy budget, go fr the best n larger size... Not less then 55 inch and buy extended warranty from 3rd party vendors like onsitego, bajaj finserv etc.
I myself am contemplating buying one from onsitego.
LG these days is giving 1+1 where 2nf yr is panel only.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back