A DAC / Headphone Amp in the mix for Laptop audio

shibashis

A little background:
Recently I bought the HifimeDIY Sabre USB DAC, how I like it is another story however this being only a DAC without a headphone amp, the output is too feeble and I have to turn the amplifier volume fairly up to get to the appreciable level of music that I desire. The same problem does not exist with my Asus Xonar U3 as it has built in headphone amplifier. I am inclined to think that the Sabre is a better DAC than Xonar (that is the popular opinion...), so if I stick to it then how is the idea to pair it with a headphone amplifier to strengthen the output?

There is a little more to this story....during my auditions when I picked up my beloved Dali Zensors, I heard the Lektor 1s as well. Now I was carrying my iPod touch and played ma favourite tracks during the audition. The chain was like this,
iPod -> CA Azure 351-Line In -> Lektor 1.
The speakers sounded thin, just too thin. Without any soundstage or imaging, they were clear but I could not believe how tiny they felt. I was aware that these were very well respected by many in the forum and I certainly were expecting much better from them. Then I asked for them to play Pulse on their CA Azure CD player. From the very first note the result startled me. The very same Lektors started to sing in a manner which 10 minutes back would have seemed an absolute impossibility. The forum had educated me enough to accept my benightedness. I realized what I had to. Having told you the story, I do not think such a startling improvement in SQ could not have been only due to the better quality DAC of the Azure CD player over the iPod, it has to be because of the stronger, better output of the CD player.
I do realize that just adding a headphone amplifier in the chain can not mimic the output of a high-quality audiophile device, but will it be a step in the right direction? That is my question.

So far I have not been overtly impressed with the Sabre DAC, I have noted my opinions in the respective thread. as is the way of the forum you need just one excuse, only one to justify upgrading. That excuse of course is improved sound quality. How much of an improvement is the Fiio E17 'Alpen' likely to be? I gather this will be a better DAC than the Sabre and my Asus Xonar U3, it is a headphone amplifier too. Will this suffice my need of greater, better output to mimic somewhat the output of a quality CD player if I play quality FLACs or other lossless rips? I could be sold on the E17 if I go by this review here:
The Upgrade: Fiio E17 "Alpen" | Page 2 of 2 | HeadfoniaHeadfonia
This doubles up as just a headphone amplifier as well if I use it with my iPod, portability of most Fiio devices are a plus point always. Attractive price and readily available from Amazon.in makes it almost ideal.
If I choose to go this route, then what are my other options in this price bracket? How about this Audinst here?
Audinst HUD MiNi: Amazon.in: Electronics

Are there any other potential suitors?

Will appreciate your views.

What type of music you listen? And Format? Flac or MP3?? I think here source may be tissue.

I am confused by your post, and may have misunderstood...

this being only a DAC without a headphone amp, the output is too feeble and I have to turn the amplifier volume fairly up to get to the appreciable level of music that I desire.

A headphone amp does not go between a DAC and an amplifier: it goes between a DAC and Headphones.

Here's an idea. It is the most basic thing, but it is something that has caught out many of us, and has even caught me out recently when I forgot it! Please check the output volume on your laptop. If you are connecting head or ear -phones to your HifiDIYme, then use it to control the volume, but if your are connecting your DAC to an amplifier, then set it at 100%, and make sure that any volume control in your media-player software is also set to 100%.

If you still do not get satisfactory results, then you do not need a headphone amp (unless you also want to use headphones), you need a better DAC.

I have seen a Hifimediy tested at Capt_Rajesh's place. The output level was not deficient. In fact, iirc, it was my ODAC that needed the highest volume setting of the several DACs we took a look at.

We have a hifimediy now... it is doing service on my wife's laptop, due to brakedown of internal sound. Have not connected it to amp or speakers, but it gave decent volume on my headphone when I set it up, and she has not complained about the volume on her earphones.

So far I have not been overtly impressed with the Sabre DAC...

I suggest that you do not judge the chip by this absurdly cheap implementation. The ODAC is a budget DAC; the hifime is 1/4 its price. If you are not afraid of soldering on a small pcb (I am :eek:) you might also try the modification. You'll find a link to that in the hifime thread.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back