A History Of The LS3/5a Loudspeaker - Part Time Audiophile Article

Have had these Spendors Ls3/5a 11 ohms (late 80s) for about 6 months or so. Opening them up was a heart in mouth situation with the fear I might mess something up. Curiosity got the better and I am happy I got a peak.

The lycra that holds up the cloth (tygan) grill is a bia#*? to remove and then the wood screws come off but the front panel still needs to be pried off.. very happy all checked out ok inside.

No particular reason...just sharing photos..thanks for looking..
This is so lovely inside. Is that rust on the magnet? If so can you wipe the rust off with a cloth damped very lightly with silicone oil? Also the screws look oxidized. Just wipe it and coat it with nail polish so that they don't oxidize further.

Just can't help admiring the length things in the long past took pains to make things of such beauty that would last forever.

This is so lovely inside. Is that rust on the magnet? If so can you wipe the rust off with a cloth damped very lightly with silicone oil? Also the screws look oxidized. Just wipe it and coat it with nail polish so that they don't oxidize further.

Just can't help admiring the length things in the long past took pains to make things of such beauty that would last forever.
Yes, that's rust but thankfully very superficial specks. Will take your advise and do the needful. Thanks.
Yes, very neatly and purposefully arranged and everything seems solid and made to last.

After living with the Harbeth P3esrs for many years now (not really a BBC design but well sort of) I have realised that they sound VERY BALANCED and reasonably transparent ,when they are used at around 70-75 db spl in monitor fashion ( at 5 to 7 ft listening distance) driven by an amplifier of around 50 watts (since they are relatively inefficient) ,but they are an easy load as far as current requirement is concerned.

Been owning these beauties Falcon acoustics gold badge LS3/5a over 15 months now. this variant of LS3/5a continues to be in sterophile recommended speakers for 3 consecutive years

A must speaker (LS3/5A) in the bucket list of every audiophile

Attachments

• falcon.jpg
    falcon.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 27
Been owning these beauties Falcon acoustics gold badge LS3/5a over 15 months now. this variant of LS3/5a continues to be in sterophile recommended speakers for 3 consecutive years

Congratulations! Superb speakers by all accounts.
Do share more pictures as well as your listening impressions.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back