A Pair of Tuners

analogadikt

I always wanted to have a tuner playing in my home but my previous attempts were not successful. I could not get satisfactory reception as hills surround my house from three sides. However, I decided to make another attempt and so picked up two tuners during my recent trip to Europe.
I have done a temporary setup with a makeshift cable antenna and the performance is promising. It should be very satisfactory with a proper rooftop antenna.

The Fisher FM100C is a valve set. It performs very well. Here is a short video. Sorry I cannot turn it 90 degrees. Volume level is low initially, corrected at 1.40. Playback is through Marantz/Superscope R1270 receiver, speakers are Philips AD1255/M7, all original.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRrEqQiTrFc

The Marantz 2120 has the usual attributes of classic Marantz gear. Here it is playing through the same R1270 driving Jensen DL220 transducers mounted in restored vintage (1963) cabs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxQYjU8EJdk

Thanks to FMs vktarun, sachu888 and omishra for their inputs that helped in this.

Regards,

Very beautiful.

The Marantz has blue backlight - did you change to LED lighting or
replace the vellum/tracing paper?
Usually the older ones have a greenish tinge.

Any other service done to the receivers - recapping etc?

Hi Quad,
Sorry could not reply immediately.

The Marantz lights are original. Pics of 21** series show blue lighting, may be other series or the receivers (tuner/amps) had different colours.

The Fisher had been checked by a tech in Europe and it looks like the electrolytics are replaced. As the other caps are good quality polystyrene and ceramic I do not see any need to replace them. Also there is a thread on another forum where the poster lost the alignment of his set after recapping, so I do not want to do anything in haste.

Some pics of the innards..

Regards,

This Weekend at Mr Mahajan's home at Belapur, got an opportunity to tune my favorite FM station on these beauties one by one and wow! it was seductive !:licklips::licklips:

Associated equipment were Akai M8 for amplification and speakers as Vintage Jensen speakers (12" two way coaxial in a 250 litre huge cabinet). Initially we struggled to have a stereo reception but after half an hour of sweating it triggered.

We learned the one and only rule for stereo reception- Switch off the LED lights and CFLs . Only the tuner dial and valve on the equipment shall glow.

It as a memorable evening that we spend listening to the program named "Karwane Ghazal" presented by Talat Aziz and Hariharan on FM 92.70,

Thanks,
Vktarun.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back