A visual history of Loudness

Loudness war is a direct result of how we are consuming the music today - on the move, in cars, as background listening in noisy listening environments.

Dynamic range compression, limiting, EQ, normalization etc are the tools that are used to achieve higher perceived loudness. A musical recording has two key volume metrics - Peak volume which describes the loudest bit and RMS volume which is the average. Dynamic range is essentially the spread between these two metrics. Most recordings till the 90s left the RMS volume levels untouched.

Given that the way music consumption has changed, just higher amplification (ie overall higher listening levels) won't make the recording appealing. The entire recording is now being boosted to near peak volume levels thereby boosting the RMS levels. This results in significant compression of dynamic range where softer bits are seem loud enough in the master mix.

On top of this, most streaming services earlier used to apply an EQ boost (sometimes at select frequency ranges) to make the increase the loudness further.

However, there seems to be reversal of this loudness trend in the last few years. Mixing engineers now use a new measurement called Loudness Units relative to Full Scale (LUFS or its K-weighted equivalent LUKS) which takes in account both human psychoacoustics and actual audio signal characteristics. These are used to set relative targets for loudness both within a track and across tracks. This standard is being adopted by broadcasting industry including streaming services to normalise loudness without impacting dynamic range or listening experience. As more mixing engineers adopt these standards, the loudness war will hopefully come to an end.

Now MQA applying their own proprietary loudness, limiting algorithms while remastering so-called 'Master' tracks is another story all together. Maybe a topic for discussion in the MQA-bashing thread!

Loudness war is a direct result of how we are consuming the music today - on the move, in cars, as background listening in noisy listening environments.

Dynamic range compression, limiting, EQ, normalization etc are the tools that are used to achieve higher perceived loudness. A musical recording has two key volume metrics - Peak volume which describes the loudest bit and RMS volume which is the average. Dynamic range is essentially the spread between these two metrics. Most recordings till the 90s left the RMS volume levels untouched.

Given that the way music consumption has changed, just higher amplification (ie overall higher listening levels) won't make the recording appealing. The entire recording is now being boosted to near peak volume levels thereby boosting the RMS levels. This results in significant compression of dynamic range where softer bits are seem loud enough in the master mix.

On top of this, most streaming services earlier used to apply an EQ boost (sometimes at select frequency ranges) to make the increase the loudness further.

However, there seems to be reversal of this loudness trend in the last few years. Mixing engineers now use a new measurement called Loudness Units relative to Full Scale (LUFS or its K-weighted equivalent LUKS) which takes in account both human psychoacoustics and actual audio signal characteristics. These are used to set relative targets for loudness both within a track and across tracks. This standard is being adopted by broadcasting industry including streaming services to normalise loudness without impacting dynamic range or listening experience. As more mixing engineers adopt these standards, the loudness war will hopefully come to an end.

Now MQA applying their own proprietary loudness, limiting algorithms while remastering so-called 'Master' tracks is another story all together. Maybe a topic for discussion in the MQA-bashing thread!
I wasn’t aware of this new trend that you are talking about but completely in agreement with the other points.
Wrt to the new trend , is this specific to western pop records ? Or any other specific \ niche genre ?

And probably the sound engineers and technicians working with those labels also listen to decent systems?

I suspect with popular music this problem will only worsen as the newer generations of engineers and technicians bred on boomboxes, soundbars and other mass market systems have indelible aural imprints of loud music in the brains.
Its worse..many of the new engineers are computer users who have learnt one software and do everything on it through pretty sad headphones and with no understanding of the music ( This is after a discussion with Siva of acoustic portrait who does some high quality recordings)

Protect and regard the music you already have :)
I don’t know if you listen to bengali folk , but I would highly recommend albums by Dohar band because they have put extraordinary amount of care in their sound production, with terrific dynamic range , beautiful instrumental separation, midrange clarity and of course wonderful songs . I would happily take any of their CDs to show off a 50K$ setup if I ever get that far fetched opportunity.
If I can listen to japanese and french music I can definitely listen to Bengali :) will look this up !

Is this it ?

If you have not do look up Masala Coffee and Avial on You tube..

I wasn’t aware of this new trend that you are talking about but completely in agreement with the other points.
Wrt to the new trend , is this specific to western pop records ? Or any other specific \ niche genre ?
Adoption of LUFS/K-Weighting/LRA/Gating etc started with European Broadcasting but now is being increasingly adopted by recording industry everywhere. What has started as standard for TV broadcasters is slowly being adopted by audio industry. So it is not specific to a genre.

Apparently streaming services including Spotify, Apple Music and You Tube now lower the volume by -13 to -15 LUFS of the original recording.

Hi Shyam, welcome to the discussion.
I like your explanation even though I did not understand all the terms used.
Correct me if I am wrong: the equalisation is pushed up across all frequency bands making the entire recording louder.

Its worse..many of the new engineers are computer users who have learnt one software and do everything on it through pretty sad headphones and with no understanding of the music ( This is after a discussion with Siva of acoustic portrait who does some high quality recordings)

Protect and regard the music you already have :)

If I can listen to japanese and french music I can definitely listen to Bengali :) will look this up !

Is this it ?

If you have not do look up Masala Coffee and Avial on You tube..
@arj - Yes this is Dohar. But I obviously cannot vouch for SQ on any media other than CD. I recommend their albums ‘2007’ and ‘Bangla’.

@arj - Yes this is Dohar. But I obviously cannot vouch for SQ on any media other than CD. I recommend their albums ‘2007’ and ‘Bangla’.
Dont worry.. SQ and you tube together may get me in trouble in this forum !

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back