Active VS Passive Sub

I would prefer a passive sub:

1. Placement - Can get a long sub wire and place the sub anywhere in the room

2. The amp of the sub may be used to power additional speakers/subs

3. If the amp goes bad it can be replaced easily. I guess it would cost a lot to get the inbuilt amp in an active sub repaired

4. Can be cost effective if an AVR already has option to attach a sub directly

Active subs are better sonically. Their drivers and amps are specifically selected and matched and tuned to sound the best. Take for instance, the JTR Captivator comes in both passive and active versions, but the passive version can never sound as clean as the active version. Even Mark seaton has confirmed that. However you have to pay more for active subs.

Boils down to the Driver size, Enclosure type, Enclosure size, T/S parameters, Amp. Port tuning, Application etc etc

Your question is far too generic there are many other variables that one needs to factor in

I would prefer a passive sub:

1. Placement - Can get a long sub wire and place the sub anywhere in the room

2. The amp of the sub may be used to power additional speakers/subs

3. If the amp goes bad it can be replaced easily. I guess it would cost a lot to get the inbuilt amp in an active sub repaired

4. Can be cost effective if an AVR already has option to attach a sub directly

1. This is possible with active sub also. The cable cost may be a little high. One can even use a wireless transmitter/receiver to connect to the sub.

2. This point is not clear. How will you use amp of sub to use with other speakers?

3. Nope. Infact amp in AVR is costly and getting a replacement is very tough.

4. It may be cost effective but at the sacrifice of audio quality. Remember the avr transformer needs to power all the 5 channels plus the sub.

1. This is possible with active sub also. The cable cost may be a little high. One can even use a wireless transmitter/receiver to connect to the sub.

2. This point is not clear. How will you use amp of sub to use with other speakers?

3. Nope. Infact amp in AVR is costly and getting a replacement is very tough.

4. It may be cost effective but at the sacrifice of audio quality. Remember the avr transformer needs to power all the 5 channels plus the sub.

1. I thought of that but active sub can be placed only near a power outlet.

2. We can just take the wire of the sub out and put in the wire of the any other speaker. We can even attach two subs to the amp. Two passives + one amp might be better and cost effective than two actives (not very sure about this)

3. I did not mean amp in the AVR I meant a dedicated low cost amp for the sub only. Do not know about the branded ones but locally manufactured are easily available here. The combination can sound better than a car's sub and can beat any similar priced woofer of 5.1 systems. I have not auditioned the hi end range like Wharfedale, Cambridge etc. Planing to audition Sonodyne soon as it is near my factory (Okhla).

4. This point is for the AVR already purchased and having direct sub out for a passive sub. DO not know whether such AVRs are available.

Coming to passive subs do we have many options like the active ones? Any Indian manufacturer?

PS: I am not debating just discussing.

Boils down to the Driver size, Enclosure type, Enclosure size, T/S parameters, Amp. Port tuning, Application etc etc

Your question is far too generic there are many other variables that one needs to factor in

Editing the original post:

PS: other things remaining constant. LOL

2. We can just take the wire of the sub out and put in the wire of the any other speaker. We can even attach two subs to the amp. Two passives + one amp might be better and cost effective than two actives (not very sure about this)

3. I did not mean amp in the AVR I meant a dedicated low cost amp for the sub only. Do not know about the branded ones but locally manufactured are easily available here. The combination can sound better than a car's sub and can beat any similar priced woofer of 5.1 systems. I have not auditioned the hi end range like Wharfedale, Cambridge etc. Planing to audition Sonodyne soon as it is near my factory (Okhla).

4. This point is for the AVR already purchased and having direct sub out for a passive sub. DO not know whether such AVRs are available.

Coming to passive subs do we have many options like the active ones? Any Indian manufacturer?

PS: I am not debating just discussing.

Well yes theoretically it possible . However

Most if not all subwoofer drivers have a 4 ohm impedance. if you connect two passive subwoofers in series. The impedance will drop down to 2 ohms. Not too sure how many locally made cheap amps can handle such a difficult load .

If its 2 channel amp. then it should be fine . However the amp should be capable to handle 4 ohms load

A subwoofer is supposed to receive 100 / 80 hz and below frequencies. Besides the Amp to drive the passive sub woofers you would need to get a Active crossover as well to filter a full range frequency from going to your Subwoofer.

So either your preamp if capable of doing this or you would need to invest in a active crossover. Behringer comes to mind. They are cost effective and well designed

If your AVR has the sub out for a passive subwoofer. you would need to see how much power it dishes out .
on the basis of that you can buy a affordable 8" / 10" / 12" driver from Peerless etc and build a cabinet and hook it up to your AVR.

- F l a s h -

Well yes theoretically it possible . However

Most if not all subwoofer drivers have a 4 ohm impedance. if you connect two passive subwoofers in series. The impedance will drop down to 2 ohms. Not too sure how many locally made cheap amps can handle such a difficult load .

If its 2 channel amp. then it should be fine . However the amp should be capable to handle 4 ohms load

A subwoofer is supposed to receive 100 / 80 hz and below frequencies. Besides the Amp to drive the passive sub woofers you would need to get a Active crossover as well to filter a full range frequency from going to your Subwoofer.

So either your preamp if capable of doing this or you would need to invest in a active crossover. Behringer comes to mind. They are cost effective and well designed

If your AVR has the sub out for a passive subwoofer. you would need to see how much power it dishes out .
on the basis of that you can buy a affordable 8" / 10" / 12" driver from Peerless etc and build a cabinet and hook it up to your AVR.

- F l a s h -

1. These two channel cheap amps can handle BIG load. i have one from 3 years now. Was initialy running 3 10 inches on it sometimes added a phenix 12 inch bass tube as well but then there was two much bass so took it off. There wasnt much use of the 3rd 10 incher so took that off as well. The amp still working like new only the power button is having a problem and I already got a new one. Could never turn up the volume knob more than 40-45% as the fever of my woofers blowing up start to creep in my spine. The price of the amp Rs. 950 (3 Yrs ago) Rs. 1200 (Now)

2. Agreed. Installed crossovers as well which I am not happy with. So will update soon. But what happens when all the frequencies are fed to the woofer. Currently the crossovers are helping me attach 4 of my F&D Satellites with the two woofers so they handle only the vocals and the treble and leave the bass for the woofers.

Is Behringer available in India? I was unable to find the contact us tab on their website.

What would you say about a manufacturer like this: APLUS AUDIOS & Sound Solutions, 6, Krishna Market, Lajpat Nagar 1, New Delhi, India

I got the 10 Inchers from them.

3. Coming to peerless I looked at the woofer drivers they have.

10" Rs. 2300 on diyaudiocart
12" Rs. 2500 on diyaudiocart

By looking at the pics I can bet the Aplus drivers will easily throw away the peerless woofers out compition

Price Rs. 700 (3 yrs ago) now they do not manufacture them.

Please see the pic taken from N91 (3 yrs ago) of my DIY Woofer Bed for comparison with peerless. Will upload the pics of back soon not having them rt now.

Man! hifivision is much more addictive than facebook

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back