Advantages of XBox X as a Source

sumitkpandit

I am thinking to upgrade my source from Amazon Fire TV Stick Lite to XBox X. Can someone list all the benefits it will bring to my setup and experience?
Some that I can think of is Ability to use BluRay and External Drives to play media. One doubt that I have is the image resolution, I think my projector only accepts upto 1080p. Will my AVR automatically detect that and downscale for my projector or will it go black?

Not sure if this helps.

My attempt to use XBox (not sure the version) as a source for audio when I sold my CDP was utter flop. The sound was so muffled that I ripped all my CDs to my Mac Mini and used a USB DAC instead.

I recently decided to use an xbox series s as a replacement for my fire stick 4k. Did not go as planned. Most deal breaker was ott app support. Other than prime video and Netflix there were no other major Indian ott apps available. Secondly it sounded worse than the firestick 4k. Also the remote support is terrible its IR only. You need to aim precisely to make it work. Finally returned it. Got the fire tv cube for the current sale and could not be happier with the upgrade.

Not sure if this helps.

My attempt to use XBox (not sure the version) as a source for audio when I sold my CDP was utter flop. The sound was so muffled that I ripped all my CDs to my Mac Mini and used a USB DAC instead.
That is surprising. Did it have analog out or only digital. My Xbox One S only has digital out and will simply act as a transport. I loved playing CD's through it. Among my Sony TV, Amazon Fire Stick 4k and Xbox One s, I find the Xbox One S sound quality the best for streaming.

With regard to Apps support, am sure there will be a way to sideload apps.

That is surprising. Did it have analog out or only digital. My Xbox One S only has digital out and will simply act as a transport. I loved playing CD's through it. Among my Sony TV, Amazon Fire Stick 4k and Xbox One s, I find the Xbox One S sound quality the best for streaming.

With regard to Apps support, am sure there will be a way to sideload apps.
Sideloading apps on Xbox will be nearly impossible.
Series X only got HDMI, so I guess ARC will be the only way to get audio to AVR

Sideloading apps on Xbox will be nearly impossible.
Yes, looks like it after a try.

Edit:
I read somewhere that Developer Options are made available on the new x series. Maybe through this route ?
Series X only got HDMI, so I guess ARC will be the only way to get audio to AVR

Xbox can be connected to any of the HDMI inputs of the AVR. Xbox can also be directly connected to the TV and played via the receiver through ARC.

One doubt that I have is the image resolution, I think my projector only accepts upto 1080p. Will my AVR automatically detect that and downscale for my projector or will it go black?
Your projector will downscale 4k to 1080p.

Last edited:
Can someone list all the benefits it will bring to my setup and experience?
Is pointless buying an Xbox for watching video content. Its a gaming device first so unless you have use for it as a gaming device, I would not pursue one. You are much better of with an Apple TV 4K or something similar. For Blu Ray/Disc playback, get a dedicated disc spinner. Will cost a lot less too.

I have an Xbox Series S and use it only for Gaming. Disc duties are handled by a Blu Ray Player and OTT via the TV's native apps.

+1 to the above post.

Don't buy a Xbox if you are not into gaming. The assumption was that, if you are a gamer, then the Xbox can also be used for streaming and cd/blu-ray playback.

I have no complaints with the quality of streaming or disk playback of Xbox. I have dedicated blu-ray and cd players too.

One other reason why people buy X Box series X for non gaming purpose is 4k bluray players zre costly and if you intend to collect 4k BR discs, and cant spend 60 to 70k on uhd BRP, you could use this as a hack. But picture quality will not be the same as 4K bluray player and colour depth is often the complaining factor.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back