Advice/Suggestions needed

bharathsolomon

Hi

I have a Yaqin Tube Amplifier. My sources are a CD player and a Denon Turntable connected via a Yaqin Tubed Phonostage.
My speakers are ProAc D18 and Harbeth P3.

The output is really good when connected to the CD player but when I am trying to play via the TT, output is only 1/3rd of the CD player.

Please let me know what could be the problem

I have no direct knowledge of this Amp or TT, but I have a couple of suggestions on what you might check.

You sure it's a phono stage, and not just an Aux input marked "Phono"? This input is probably a dual purpose input that can be switched to accommodate either a phono or a line level signal. Check your manual to make sure.

Check if the phono preamp is for a moving magnet cartridge. You didn't list your cartridge, but a low output moving coil cartridge would give you the result you're describing. ...should work fine if it is a true MM input. Possibly there is a gain stage not working? A gain setting not set properly?

Hi Hydrovac

Many thanks for your input. I think I have not mentioned things in Detail

The Amp is Yaqin ( hope giving links is not an offense here)
Yaqin MS-650B 845 tube Class A single-end Integrated Amplifier - $1,568.00?USD : Enjoy music, enjoy hifi audio!, we sell Music Angel,qinpu,yaqin,MeiXing MingDa,Bewitch,Bada Amplifiers, CD player,power amp, preamp

The Phonostage is a separate Yaqin MM
Yaqin MS-22B Tube Phono turntable Moving Magent MM Amplifier LP - $160.00?USD : Enjoy music, enjoy hifi audio!, we sell Music Angel,qinpu,yaqin,MeiXing MingDa,Bewitch,Bada Amplifiers, CD player,power amp, preamp

The turntable is Denon 300F which uses MM Cartridge
DENON AP | DP-300F

I was actually planning to buy a Rega Apollo from a Enthusiast, but he got a buyer before i could meet him. I currently use a low end Philips CD player but the output from the above amp is good. Was wondering if only I could get good input like Rega and how it would sound.

But the main issue is when I connect the Turntable via the Yaqin phonostage
through the Aux of the Yaqin Amplifier the sound output is very disappointing.

Hope this is more detailed

Bharath,

What cart are you using? Are you sure its a MM Cart the original which came with the Denon? The denon 300F has a phono equalizer built in, so you should be able to directly connect it to your amp without using your phono stage.

http://www.denonasia.com/ap/Product...roductId=57477a75-f5d1-4f5a-a69a-4b52c47b23dc
Built-in PHONO Equalizer

Since the DP-300F includes a built-in PHONO equalizer, it can be connected directly to a mini component or integrated amp that does not have a PHONO terminal.
(ON/OFF switchable)

B Rgds,
Raj.

Last edited:
Bharath,

Good News ! :)

There is NO Problem with your set up. :yahoo:

The gain of the Phono stage is normal.... as specified its 500 mVolts ie Half a Volt.

In contrast, most CD players provide an Output of 2 Volts.

Hence, the CD player sounds Much louder, or you have to adjust the Voliume control on yr Amp to get the appropriate Volume.

Dont worry AT ALL about the difference in the Volume levels. It is Not related to quality.

I was actually planning to buy a Rega Apollo from a Enthusiast, but he got a buyer before i could meet him. I currently use a low end Philips CD player but the output from the above amp is good. Was wondering if only I could get good input like Rega and how it would sound.

But the main issue is when I connect the Turntable via the Yaqin phonostage
through the Aux of the Yaqin Amplifier the sound output is very disappointing.

The sound quality of a low end CD player will Certainly Not match the quality of a Rega CD player costing almost 10 Times the price !

Look out for a Good CD player.... preferably with a Digital ( USB or SPDIF) Dingital INPUT ( Not Digital Output).

Alternately, look at buying a Good DAC.

Its not that the Aux input of yr Amp is bad, its what you are Feeding into the Aux input ( a low cost CD / DVD player) that is the problem. (Even though the CD is LOUDER, its audio quality is Poor.)

Get yourself a good Digital Source ( CD Player or DAC ). That will give you the desired results.:)

Thanks Rajagopal and IndiaEars for your suggestions.

Agree with you on the CD part. when I play SACD version of the Dire Straits it sounds so different from the other CD on the same player. So I can imagine the effects of good CD player like Rega.

My TT has OEM cart of the Denon and I have also tried the inbuilt phonostage and I cant see any difference

I have to really turn the volume knob to 80-90% to get more output when I play LP's

It sounds little better when I play LP's basically from Dire Straits,Chicago, but when I play LPs from Led Zep, Iron Maiden, there is hardly any power these bands deserve. It sounds very feeble. Last week I play Mettalica, it sounded very bad. I think for the speaker like Proac's,the output I am getting is really disappointing to say the least

Really frustrated..

You need to Increase the gain.

I stress that an Increased Gain does not mean improved quality.... !

For Increase gain you will have to buy a Phono Stage with Higher Gain ....

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back