All digital movies are illegal in India?

frnd08

Since we dont have digital movie stores and since ripping DVDs is illegal in India, does that mean that any movie which is not on a disc is illegal?

I think exceptions are online sites like bigflix which offer streaming movies at the charge of membership (trial 1 month is free). Require their own web based player to view so you cannot copy and distribute illegally.

Since we dont have digital movie stores and since ripping DVDs is illegal in India, does that mean that any movie which is not on a disc is illegal?

Who said ripping is illegal. Ripping is not illegal as long as you do it for personal use and do not distribute it and from the disc that you own/bought!

BigFlix or any company, for that matter, should pay and get the broadcasting license from the copyright owners.

I think exceptions are online sites like bigflix which offer streaming movies at the charge of membership (trial 1 month is free). Require their own web based player to view so you cannot copy and distribute illegally.

bigflix is streaming though. which is a deal breaker because you have to actually keep your computer running throughout. and even if u end up closing the window by accident, you lose the entire movie. meh, not my cup of tea. (and its from reliance. that company screams 'stay away from me, i bite'). so its not really an "online movie store". btw their catalog sucks, big time (their english catalog is unimaginably pathetic). its no netflix.

and it still means the same, if one has a movie file on one's hard drive, one is breaking the law.

Last edited:
Who said ripping is illegal. Ripping is not illegal as long as you do it for personal use and do not distribute it and from the disc that you own/bought!

BigFlix or any company, for that matter, should pay and get the broadcasting license from the copyright owners.

i agree that ripping "should" be the allowed, but it isnt. i have actually heard quite a few people say that. (the reason why i opened this thread was to reconfirm that) and because its illegal, you have itunes movie store etc. (in the US, UK, and other countries) for owning digital copies. also, and more importantly, you have blu-ray + digital copy (not available in India) discs for specific movies from various studios which allow you to own digital copies ripped by them. one can of course rip one's own custom videos or even open source movies legally. other than that, unless i'm terribly wrong, ripping is pretty much illegal in India.

Last edited:
i agree that ripping "should" be the allowed, but it isnt. i have actually heard quite a few people say that. (the reason why i opened this thread was to reconfirm that) and because its illegal, you have itunes movie store etc. (in the US, UK, and other countries) for owning digital copies. also, and more importantly, you have blu-ray + digital copy (not available in India) discs for specific movies from various studios which allow you to own digital copies ripped by them. one can of course rip one's own custom videos or even open source movies legally. other than that, unless i'm terribly wrong, ripping is pretty much illegal in India.

Unfortunately, the law doesnt work on common sense. Unless its clearly states that its illegal, it is legal.

It think your information is incorrect. In the USA & Europe, you are allowed to keep a digital copy of the DVD or Blu rays that you own. The online stores like Itunes exist as an alternative channel for digital content for those users who don't want to own physical media or don't know how to rip.

I think the position in India is the same.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Not too clear on this, but...

I think that what is not allowed, by law, in some countries (UK? USA?) is defeating anti-copying devices, ie unlocking or decrypting the disc.

The giant music/entertainment companies are just bloodsuckers, who will go on blaming everybody else for their failure until they eventually die. How much money did Sony make last year?

Not too clear on this, but...

I think that what is not allowed, by law, in some countries (UK? USA?) is defeating anti-copying devices, ie unlocking or decrypting the disc.

....which you would do if u were to copy the files on your hard drive in order to rip them. QED.

But India is not (yet :rolleyes: ) governed by American law, and what it inherited from Britain was written when digital meant something to do with fingers.

But India is not (yet :rolleyes: ) governed by American law, and what it inherited from Britain was written when digital meant something to do with fingers.

Hahaha that made me laugh out loud. Brilliantly put.

I guess one has to ask a movie guy, someone related to the movie industry to confirm. Anyone around?

Sec 52 of CRA provides for acts that do not amount to infringement. Ripping only for storage for your personal use to prevent any loss from destruction of your disc does not amount to infringement.

India is still in its preliminary stage as far as intellectual property laws are concerned.

However, believe me, it is growing at a much faster rate to the point that an Indian Company, Bharatmatrimony, sued Google and other 2 companies and won the case!

India is still in its preliminary stage as far as intellectual property laws are concerned.

yeah shame though. i recently heard the lawmakers in the uk were amending the laws to include digital piracy with respect to reproduction of movies etc. we need clearer laws.

i guess all the responses underline one particular fact. there's no digital movie store in this country. we cant expect apple to open its doors to indian customers anytime soon. we can expect the established players like flipkart to have a go. or even bigflix, if only they could expand their catalogue to include movies other than Volcano High (trust me, thats a movie, and its about, well you know, volcanoes) and its likes.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back