All the Roadrunning

shredder

Just felt this deserves a new thread. Sorry if it's been discussed before.
Recently got my hands on an album All the Roadrunning which features a collaboration by Mark Knopfler and Emmy Lou Harris. It's one of the best albums I've listened to in a loooong while in this era of manufactured stars, where the popularity of musicians are predicated more on their looks and on their attention-seeking gimmicks than on their musical ability.

Mark Knopfler still has that distinctive guitar picking style, but in this album it has mellowed to the point where it has become more country, a la Chet Atkins. Which is where Emmylou Harris comes in, with her soulful vocals. The song titled "All the Roadrunning" features the violin that is heard on many Emmylou Harris' country tracks, but here complemented by Knopfler's magic on the guitar. Nashville meets rock 'n roll. If you don't want to buy the album at least listen to this song.

YouTube - Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris All the Roadrunning verona 2006

@shredder
If you liked the CD so much you may want to get a copy of the "Real Live Roadrunning" DVD (or CD+DVD) package which has a concert of Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris performing songs from the album and some solo tracks. Very nicely shot and good sound.

May I know why he has fallen from your esteemed grace???

The style of music Mr. Knopfler plays post Dire Straits is completely different, something to which i do not relate to at all, great that others like it, unfortunately the music does not work for me.

+1 to this album.

Great music and lovely collaboration.

I heard of this album in this forum itself and was tempted to buy it.

Absolutely love it and the quality of the recording is also excellent.

The style of music Mr. Knopfler plays post Dire Straits is completely different, something to which i do not relate to at all, great that others like it, unfortunately the music does not work for me.

Completely agree with that. Like I said his music has "mellowed" (for want of a better word) somewhat. The rock n' roll has given way to a more country feel. But this change in his music is not an abrupt transition post Dire Straits; the roots of it can be seen even in his Dire Straits years. Songs like "How Long", "Wild West End" and "Iron Hand" are examples of this.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back