Amazon coming to India

I wonder what percentage of Amazon's call-centre segment is here already? At least for the .com, USA, English-speaking segment. I wonder how much else of their business processing is already outsourced to India?

I used to know someone who might have been able to tell me --- but, after quite a few years working here, she has now moved on. Wouldn't surprise me, though, if we had a member(s) employed by or familiar with Amazon.

Hifi is still a niche market in India. Amazon still has to import all these a/v equipments from US, UK or other countries. The shipping cost they pay to import them will not be amazingly less than what we pay right now. There is no change in customs duty too. And since they become local sellers they will face more pressure when it comes to servicing.

Finally they will be forced to focus 'more' on mass market products like any other online portal here. Like a Sony, just an example.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk

Amazon will not provide service for what they sell. If you have a unit bad out of the box, they will replace it or refund the money. If Amazon is selling for another party, they will refund your money and send the unit back to the actual seller. Customs duties remain the same, but will be correct, not like the current system of a single international shipment where the duty is calculated by an individual who might be right, but due to the complexity of the law is probably wrong.

AV equipment will not cost as much for shipping because most of it is made in Asia. Books can be printed and bound in India, giving a few Rupees to the local economy.

Amazon makes it very hard to get them on the telephone. I doubt they will have much of a call center. The majority of their phone work is customer care to sort shipping problems, and problems with the goods. To place an order, or make inquiry you can leave the phone on the hook. It is all done online, by self-service.

Fulfillment in India is to save Amazon money. They already do business in the country, but the paperwork burden is costly for international shipments. They ship from UK because the British invented red tape, and are well suited to deal with it.

With a center in Mumbai, domestic shipping will be very reasonable for them. One of Amazon's dirty tricks is to delay your order unless you commit to additional charge to get the item moved faster. They offer "free" shipping with a nominal purchase, but will sit on the order for five days to see if you place another order, then wait five more days. The "free" shipping is actually included in the price of the goods. If you will pay more, they print the shipping order faster in the godown. The package will still move at the speed of the dabbawalas carrying it.

Last edited:
What amazon has setup right now is just a courier service... They cannot enter India as a product selling portal as the FDI in retail limit is yet to be raised to 51% (stupid politics)... But you can have 100% fdi in courier services... So basically they are setting up the ground work ahead of making a full-fledged entry into India... Also their delivery of orders from their international websites should improve as they won't have to rely on 3rd party couriers anymore...

I think its a clever way to enter India. Have the items in stock in India, ship from India, do returns in India, but the purchase has to be done from website hosted abroad.

The Indian govt is losing out the revenue of selling from India and Indian customers may have to pay more as foreign transaction fees on credit cards. Stupid politics, really.

Hi all,

I have ordered from Amazon.com US more than a dozen times, and should say that their service is second to none. I have also dealt with kabusa.com, and am satisfactory. What puts me off is the Shipment charges, @ $16-19/ 500gms, but comparing to the same products cost sold in India, this addnl cost seems justified. A cheaper option would be to order the products to someone at USA and ask them to carry by hand to India(Because many products carry a free shipping tag) or if at all the postage within US would be @$5-6/ packet(asssuming less than 500gm). So if the Amazon offers the product at the same pricing as US, then it is a boon to customers at India, especially HFVians. Also the delivery will be quite assured on time and safelydone.

Lets keep our fingers crossed.

N.Murali

Actually it doesn't matter whether the transaction is local or foreign so long as it goes through the same firm, such as VISA, Amex. What really matters is if it has to be done in a foreign currency. That's where conversion and all that ahem comes into picture. Besides, currently all prospect customers must have some means to pay internationally. If they end up setting up shop here, people will be able to pay by any other means. Rupay, Paisapay, Debit cards etc. The money will potentially go further as usually there are schemes such as cash back in effect.

If nothing else, we will save tons on international shipping, and lead time will cut down for most items.

My biggest groan about Amazon.com (USA): The item you have ordered is not available for shipping to your country. I'd be very happy to see less of that!

My last order from them was a accident. I wanted to check out the password on a debit card --- and it didn't ask me for one! Oh well, I could have cancelled. I did get all the import duty refunded, though, as none was charged :)

(100% FDI in retail... nonononononooooo... don't get me started, or my rants will get me banned from here ;) )

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back