American sounding vs European sounding

Discibell

I always come across the statement of an amplifier(for music) with a more American sound or European sound. I don't have much source to try out most amp on the market so as my hearing to understand any distinctive sounding amp. The only thing i know is british amp rarely have tone controls but don't know why.
Hopefully those with experience can point out what brand of amp will shower us with what kind of sound. Other than the war between Marantz and NAD here's a few brand that i love to know how they sound by waiting for someone's spontan review:
1)Parasound
2)Musical Fidelity
3)Carver
4)Denon
5)Creek
6)Sansui
7)Yamaha
8)Cambridge
9)Rotel
10)Naim

Hi Disicibel,

Out of the 12 makes/brands you have listed I have not heard Parasound,Carver and Sansui . Most of the other brands I have heard at hifi shows,at my place or fellow hifi enthusiasts' homes - in terms of how they sound, I feel the partnering equipment like speakers and sources also influence the sound significantly.

For eg Rotel normally demo their kit with B&W speakers,Yamaha have all of their own brand as in speakers,amps and sources,Naim have had all equipment of their own brand as well.I have enjoyed the Rotel/B&W combination as well as the Yamaha Sound. I havent been massively impressed with Naim ,could be to do with the music played as well maybe + a bit pricy.

At the budget end,I have liked the Cambridge Audio sound and also own a basic budget model.

My main amps - LFD - dont have tone controls but it has never sounded lacking in anything and I certainly dont miss tone controls - Lfd - amplification phono stages analogue interconnects digital interconnects loudspeaker cables

You probably need to decide what your budget is and then consider amps accordingly in my view,others may differ.For eg .the price difference between your basic entry level Marantz/Cambridge Audo etc and Naim is significant so,once you decide a max limit,you could hunt around.

My main amps - LFD - dont have tone controls but it has never sounded lacking in anything and I certainly dont miss tone controls - Lfd - amplification phono stages analogue interconnects digital interconnects loudspeaker cables

I observed the entry level budget hi-fi has tone controls. Almost all amps above budget level don't have tone controls.

From your list Denon, Yamaha, Cambridge Audio and Rotel belong to budget audiophile level and all have tone controls.

On my set-up I'm deliberately bypassing the tone control to experience how it would feel once I upgrade to a hi-end amp with no tone controls :eek:hyeah:
After doing like that for few days and when I came back to use the controls I feel the bass to be artificial and getting ear fatigue quickly for some kinds of music. So I'm back bypassing the tone control and I don't find anything missing and its strain free for longer listening.

You need to mix and match pairing the equipment to get your desired sound taste then relying on the tone controls.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back