Amp/Dac for HD598

mihird

Hi Guys,

I had bought Senn HD598 while back. I want to put it to proper use now. So I am looking for a portable amp (not sure if DAC would be required).

Hardware: I'll be using the setup with either my computer (it has S/PDIF output if it matters) and portable devices (iPad 3, iPhone 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 4)

Media: I'll be using 320kbps MP3 mostly and FLAC sometimes.

Music preference: Instruments, Bollywood, Blues, Jazz , Contemporary (mostly everything except hiphop and rock)

Budget: upto 7000

Please advise.

Thanks!

I use a HD-598 with my i-devices (iPad, iPod and iPhone).
First I got a Fiio E-11 with a LOD cable and find it quite good with my iPad as well as iPod and iPhone. It is very handy for outdoor service, especially when you walk or jog listening to music from your iPod or iPhone. The E-11 is of great value when you bypass the idevice's amplifier through the LOD cable.

Then I got a Shure 940 headphone and the Fiio is okay with it too.

Next came a Leckerton Audio UHA-6S MKII DAC+amp. I had to buy Apple's CCK to connect it to the iPad to bypass its built-in DAC and amp. I have no misgivings and the Leckerton is a wonderful addition, giving excellent music with the iPad both with the Senn and Shure.

All were bought from overseas at their published prices.

Trust this experience helps.

P.S. I heard a Senn Momentum which is quite tempting to buy!

cheers.
murali

I use a HD-598 with my i-devices (iPad, iPod and iPhone).
First I got a Fiio E-11 with a LOD cable and find it quite good with my iPad as well as iPod and iPhone. It is very handy for outdoor service, especially when you walk or jog listening to music from your iPod or iPhone. The E-11 is of great value when you bypass the idevice's amplifier through the LOD cable.

Then I got a Shure 940 headphone and the Fiio is okay with it too.

Next came a Leckerton Audio UHA-6S MKII DAC+amp. I had to buy Apple's CCK to connect it to the iPad to bypass its built-in DAC and amp. I have no misgivings and the Leckerton is a wonderful addition, giving excellent music with the iPad both with the Senn and Shure.

All were bought from overseas at their published prices.

Trust this experience helps.

P.S. I heard a Senn Momentum which is quite tempting to buy!

cheers.
murali

Thank you sir. It does help a lot. I am going for E11.

And yes I heard about Momentum too. Found some music professionals tweeting about it too.

I don't have any orthos am planning to buy the LCD 2/3 from US. Although I believe the E9 should drive them fine as both the EHHA and E9 drive the HD650 to ear splitting levels without perceptible distortion.

My JDS labs O2 on batteries can easily power the 150ohm Yamaha HP50A. Even when tried with FIIO E11 the SQ was acceptable but lacked a lot of resolution.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back