An interesting read

Thanks Bhaskar for the link. Enjoyed reading it. I re-listen records recently post my first series when I was less than a decade old.
This site itself has some more interesting read as well. Giving link of another one here for those (like me) who would like to read about Jazz to understand it more and start appreciating and delving in more and more Jazz for Beginners: How to Listen to Jazz | The Art of Manliness.

@ Sumanta... Initially link to that Jazz article took me to that page. Then I started reading the other articles as well. The feeling of this particular one caught my attention... so thought of sharing.

Regards
Bhaskar

bhaskarcan, thank you for the link. I felt the nostalgic when I read the write up and see the classic photographs!
Regards.
Sunder.

Good one Bhaskar!

I am a first generation vinyl aficionado and my emotions are multiple. The first is of course the music, having listened to cassettes, CD's and MP3, vinyl is truly magical, irrespective of the genre.The artwork comes next - very good rendering, looks like they had real artists working on them rather than the mass produced photoshopped ones we see nowadays. The comes the vinyl playing ceremony, it has to be a ceremony, there is no other way. You got to shuffle through the collection physically, looking at the names, the artwork and more, the place it on the 'table, clean the stylus, remove the specks of dust, start and bliss!. You go through all the songs on a side and learn to enjoy all. You discover that the single that you did not understand, had lots buried in it...You learn patience, you learn to relax.

Then comes the history, all my collection is pre-owned and with it comes a lot of history. You see names, you see occasions and you see places. You wonder why and how a "Ramanujam" came to own a Miles Davis. Your mind can then take off and you reach a different plane altogether. You see a collection from a library, all numbered and so on and wonder.....You see owners from small towns and wonder how on earth they got the music and the turntable!! Admire that some of the owners put a date on the cover to indicate the date of purchase!!

I can go on and on...but like the author said you need to dedicate a time for this , which I do ....let me end the ramble here...It is truly magical !

Wow Gopib....very nicely put. These emotions and feelings kept us glued to vinyl for all these years. Other mediums could never give us that closeness to music as a bunch of records.

Regards
Bhaskar

Good one Bhaskar!

I am a first generation vinyl aficionado and my emotions are multiple. The first is of course the music, having listened to cassettes, CD's and MP3, vinyl is truly magical, irrespective of the genre.The artwork comes next - very good rendering, looks like they had real artists working on them rather than the mass produced photoshopped ones we see nowadays. The comes the vinyl playing ceremony, it has to be a ceremony, there is no other way. You got to shuffle through the collection physically, looking at the names, the artwork and more, the place it on the 'table, clean the stylus, remove the specks of dust, start and bliss!. You go through all the songs on a side and learn to enjoy all. You discover that the single that you did not understand, had lots buried in it...You learn patience, you learn to relax.

Then comes the history, all my collection is pre-owned and with it comes a lot of history. You see names, you see occasions and you see places. You wonder why and how a "Ramanujam" came to own a Miles Davis. Your mind can then take off and you reach a different plane altogether. You see a collection from a library, all numbered and so on and wonder.....You see owners from small towns and wonder how on earth they got the music and the turntable!! Admire that some of the owners put a date on the cover to indicate the date of purchase!!

I can go on and on...but like the author said you need to dedicate a time for this , which I do ....let me end the ramble here...It is truly magical !

Gopi,

Very aptly described. It's a ceremony alright. Now I have the pleasure of sitting with my son who is 13 years old and introduce him into this wonderful world of Vinyl. He already is a convert.

Cheers.

My daughter also started liking it, slowly.

I took her help to list down LPs that we have, where she had chance to appreciate artworks, feel of a vinyl and all that Gopi already described so well.

Sometimes, I request her to judge sound quality of my speakers and she realizes then the power of realism, character of vinyl.

Good one Bhaskar!

Exactly the same emotions here Gopi, exactly the same. I just recalled, when I was back at home, on Sunday evenings, I used to sit and hunt for records to play and I was actually surprised to find some titles that I never thought I had in the first place.

The legacy goes on. My nine year old son, whenever he sees any Angel press, keep me asking, Baba (Father in bengali dialect) is this a rare record? He got the feeling and it started growing on him too.

Regards,
Sourav

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back