And now, a DAC with an Atomic Clock

hydra

World's first 384 kHz converter, phono stage preamp and headphone amplifier with an integrated atomic clock

http://antelopeaudio.com/uploads/products/details/c0092e2c2ada3649f2d90b47c58c51f90460cb51.jpg

http://antelopeaudio.com/uploads/products/details/e2aabf08b9d7e620ca49b6dbe719fb4dec5a4939.jpg

From the Antelope Audio webpage:
Rubidium Atomic Clock
Rubicon is the first DAC to integrate a Rubidium atomic clock, which is 100,000 times more stable than a traditional crystal oscillator. Coupled with Antelopes 64-bit Accoustically Focused Clocking technology, the Rubidium achieves a breakthrough in jitter managment, improving the sound quality in an unprecedented way. The same technology is implemented in the companys flagship master clocks used for scoring blockbusters such as Avatar and available at the best recording and mastering studios around the Globe.

Advanced technological fusion
The transformer-based, ultra-low noise, discrete JFET phono preamp is a complement that will be highly appreciated by many vinyl lovers. In addition to the 384 kHz DAC, Rubicon also includes ultra-high sample rate A/D conversion. These functionalities together with the high resolution USB recording capability provide the users with the sublime experience of digitizing their favorite tracks, still keeping the depth and the warmth of the original analog recordings.

DLNA streaming capability
In addition to the 384 kHz USB streaming, Rubicon offers extended flexibility and smooth user experience provided by the implemented DLNA capability. The DLNA streaming gives users the opportunity to wirelessly push audio files from their smart phone, PC or NAS (Network-attached storage) server and play the content through the high-sample rate DAC.

News from Gizmodo:
Nuclear Powered Preamp Promises Incredibly Excessive Accuracy With a Built-in Atomic Clock

Nuclear Powered Preamp Promises Incredibly Excessive Accuracy With a Built-in Atomic Clock
Audiophiles are always on the hunt for the most over-the-top setup to impress and make other audiophiles jealous. And there's now a nuclear option in the audiophile arms race with this DAC featuring a built-in rubidium-powered atomic clock promising incredibly accurate and stable digital to analog conversions, and vice versa.

Antelope Audio's upcoming Rubicon Atomic Preamp includes a nuclear clock that's claimed to be "100,000 times more stable than a traditional crystal oscillator." Which promises to improve sound quality when the amp is performing digital to analog and analog to digital conversions by reining in jitter. To be honest, like a lot of audiophile-grade gear it sounds a little gimmicky, but apparently similar atomic master clocks are used in professional mastering studios so there's presumably some validity to the company's claims.

As for pricing, that's still to be revealed as the Rubicon isn't officially being introduced until a high-end audio tradeshow in Munich next month. But since it's being targeted at audiophiles with their seemingly unlimited budgets, thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars is probably a safe guestimate.

Last edited:
OMG this audiophile madness has to stop!

When are people coming up with technology that lets us listen to extreme low (like whales) and extreme high frequencies (like bats/dogs/cats).?

ONLY Then perhaps we could really appreciate all the technological marvels like atomic clock for sound cards. Till then this becomes yet another excuse for the spendthrift who wishes to justify his excesses ...

Last edited:
Antelope Audio stuff is very good. The clocks they make are about the very best in the business.

I have seen ads for rubidium clocks on ebay.com for about $150. The sellers claim that they can be used for clocking in a CD player and will improve sound quality. Here is one example:

FEI 11.2896Mhz Rubidium Master clock for CD | eBay

I would love to pick one up but have stayed away because of the fear of inviting unwanted scrutiny.

Last edited:
Having had a quick look (and established that it's ugly ;))... this thing is not ao much a DAC as an audio interface, because it does ADC as well as DAC.

In my book, this is good. DACs are one-way streets. Of course, not everyone wants or needs to record onto their PC, but I certainly would not shut that door.

However, by and large, I'm with alpha1 on this thing.

Having some awareness of my prejudices, though, I can't help wondering whether, if they'd designed it took like pro, studio kit, I might not have been drooling over it. Well, I think not, because I know my ears have failed the difference-of-high-res tests I've set them, so I'll just carry on drooling over stuff like RME and the idea of getting the best out of resolutions I can here. After all, whatever we believe, there has to be something that we can't afford but want!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back