Another Hifi Newbie from Philadelphia, PA, USA

mayukh2004

Another Hifi Newbie

My name is Mayukh and I am staying at Philadelphia, PA, USA. I am planning to go back to India(Kolkata) sometimes in the middle of this year. I will ship all my stuff what I collected from last 5 years using ocean freight.

I am a newbie regarding audio and video and I admit that I am not knowledgeable at all regarding a good home theatre. I am trying to learn after reading the threads over here(Thanks to you guys!!).

Now the big question comes in picture? Should I buy a home theatre in US and face all the hassles of Customs charge, shipping charge, step up converter(Don't know what to do with frequency 60 to 50) or should I buy the speakers in India. the benefit of buying over here is 30-40% discounted price in many of the options.

I will be really glad to get your inputs regarding this. I will use my home theatre 60% for music, 40% for movie. Room size is 17' X 12'. I like to listen pop, jazz and high bass party flowing music.

I am a little bit particular about the receiver also. Because I want to connect my Blu ray player, laptop, HD DVD player, CD player, DVD player(I use different players for different purpose to keep the quality), PS3, PS2 with my receiver. I will prefer to go for a 7.2 or 7.1 channel if it fits my budget.
I will also give high priority to the floor standing speakers, so that I don't have to replace it in a short run. My budget is 75K excluding the AV receiver. I am consider ring Aviano series from MS, few low end Dali series, Jamo speakers and Wharedale Diamond series and lastly Bose & sonodyne.

If you can suggest me regarding speakers, receivers, step down transformer, stabalizer/UPS, then I will be more confident after getting expert opinions. I have plenty of time in my hand before my purchase and I started auditioning in US for Polk, Klipsch, Bose, B&W with different yamaha, denon, pioneer, marrantz receivers. Any input will be well accepted. Thank you in advance.

Mayukh

Last edited:
imo it is worth the hassle of bringing the system from america rather than paying a lot extra over here. if youre bringing a container then you might as well put it in. customs will be on declared value (open it before you come and declare it as used and put nominal value) and i believe on 1st unit it will be 10%. on the second system it will be 30.

you will need to decide whether you want a stereo setup vis a vis surround sound. for a given budget you will get better sound quality from a stereo setup but you will not get the surround sound effect.

some speakers to audition are monitor audio, kef q series, wharfedale diamonds. you will need an amp that will match it well - names to consider are marantz, denon, yamaha, onkyo. i good all in one dvd / blueray / cdp is oppo

Thanks Afj.

I am planning to get LCL, not a full container. That's why every cubic foot counts :( . I am definitely considering to get a receiver. I am getting Denon1912 in $500. Is it the same price in India? I am also getting a pair of boston acoustics vs260 in $500 usd. Could you please suggest whether it's similar price in india or not. Thanks again.

Thanks afj, spirovious, sidglide, theironhorse.

After reading many threads, here's what I can Find. If I consider floorstanding speakers for $1000, then Wharfedale 9 or 10 series, MS Aviano, Mezzo, KEF Q series, Dali icon and MA is considerable. B&W, Focal are good for high range speakers where they may not be same quality as the other in the same price range.

Now, I will ask your opinion regarding the same. What do you say about our own brand sonodyne?

Last edited:
Welcome here Mayukh:)

You try to buy receivers (worldwide voltage- [Region free dvd player Voltage Transformers Multisystem TV Unlock GSM Phone ) or BD player (Oppo) which is expensive here which is dual voltage or if you are into streaming of movies or music buy Popcorn Hour + NAS over there. It will be cheaper.

Speaker no doubt only high end models will be cheaper and normal like wharf/ polk/Paradigm are almost priced similar here with less margin and you avoid bringing the hassle + if you buy here 5 years warranty will be there for most of the speakers.

Regards

i doubt sonodyne can be compared to the brands you have just mentioned. if youre looking in the 1k usd range then you wont be disappointed with the ma rx6. very clean and versatile speakers. imo best in their class

Thank you everyone for guiding me regarding this. Yes I am considering Monitor audio silver and bronze also along with Wharf dale evo, 10 series, MS aviano, dali ikon, zensor, Tannoy speakers. What is your suggestions regarding sonodyne speakers? They released their smallest bookshelf studio series in europe for 699 Euros. I felt that indian brands will give more value compared to price at least in india.

I am seeing a pair of focal 826v in $1500, is it a good price? And the last thing, if I consider MA how much sound quality vary from BX6 to RX6, because I can see the price varies :)

Waiting for suggestions. Srini, thank you for the 220 Volt website. I wish they were selling in the same price like amazon us :(

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back