Another Idler

Record Player

Gents - During a catch up with me friends and with my boring speeches on Vinyl (yes, that's what me friends call it now :D) got to know that one of them have a Dual 1229. He had mentioned that it's in stock condition and it's his fathers who has given up on Vinyl. He plans to start his journey with this if not just sell it. He wants me to help him service it and bring it to playing condition.

So, yesterday he brought the 1229 and dropped it off my place assuming I will operate :sad:.

Well by the first looks it was clearly first hand owned, cosmetically fantastic and still looks like new. Original Dual plinth and not sure of the cart and the original dust cover as well. The speed selector does not work and nor does the pitch controls. Everything else seems fine. This clearly needs an overall lube. Opened it up and my my, aren't the Germans obsessed with their engineering :). It was a fantastic sight to see the mechanicals, a complex piece of art. The platter itself is 7 pounds. And oh, new idler wheel on there.

They say the Dual 1229 is best of the lot. 1229 has a good tonearm which is quite long as well. Has some unique features as well. BTW, it has changer options as well however me friend does not have that spindle. When you use changer and single options, the entire tonearm assembly actually sinks in a bit for alignment.....WOW.

Now the question is, do you think I can give this a shot and see if I can actually bring it to a 100%? Just looking at the mechanicals scared me to be honest. FM Quad who is an expert on this model has given me a confidence push on this. Lot of articles available especially on servicing the 1229 step by step.

What do you guys reckon?

Photos to come in shortly.

Servicing these masterpieces is not difficult. However one must have the service manual for guidance, do some research over the internet, avoid experimentation and use the right lubes and spares. Also try not to force or bend anything. Handle with nimble fingers. Do not attempt to break open rivets or something that is ceased. Photograph at every stage as you dismantle. The fundamental logic behind any turntable's functionality is basically the same. All the very best!!

Gents - During a catch up with me friends and with my boring speeches on Vinyl (yes, that's what me friends call it now :D) got to know that one of them have a Dual 1229. He had mentioned that it's in stock condition and it's his fathers who has given up on Vinyl. He plans to start his journey with this if not just sell it. He wants me to help him service it and bring it to playing condition.

So, yesterday he brought the 1229 and dropped it off my place assuming I will operate :sad:.

Well by the first looks it was clearly first hand owned, cosmetically fantastic and still looks like new. Original Dual plinth and not sure of the cart and the original dust cover as well. The speed selector does not work and nor does the pitch controls. Everything else seems fine. This clearly needs an overall lube. Opened it up and my my, aren't the Germans obsessed with their engineering :). It was a fantastic sight to see the mechanicals, a complex piece of art. The platter itself is 7 pounds. And oh, new idler wheel on there.

They say the Dual 1229 is best of the lot. 1229 has a good tonearm which is quite long as well. Has some unique features as well. BTW, it has changer options as well however me friend does not have that spindle. When you use changer and single options, the entire tonearm assembly actually sinks in a bit for alignment.....WOW.

Now the question is, do you think I can give this a shot and see if I can actually bring it to a 100%? Just looking at the mechanicals scared me to be honest. FM Quad who is an expert on this model has given me a confidence push on this. Lot of articles available especially on servicing the 1229 step by step.

What do you guys reckon?

Photos to come in shortly.

Dual 1229 is a solid player with a heavy platter and large Idler wheel but I would certainly vouch that the 1019 is to me a better sounding of the two. I have used 1229 also before and It is no doubt a very good idler wheel player but 1019 to me is in the top bracket. I have seen a collector of vintage Turntables with EMT, Thorens 124 , Garrard 301 and 401 keep 2 Dual 1019 in his collection. I also have two of them and if I do a blind test with some of the other big ones, I am sure many will rank it among the best. RP, servicing 1229 may not be that difficult if you have the manuals. It's a good player worth servicing

Dual 1229 is a solid player with a heavy platter and large Idler wheel but I would certainly vouch that the 1019 is to me a better sounding of the two. I have used 1229 also before and It is no doubt a very good idler wheel player but 1019 to me is in the top bracket. I have seen a collector of vintage Turntables with EMT, Thorens 124 , Garrard 301 and 401 keep 2 Dual 1019 in his collection. I also have two of them and if I do a blind test with some of the other big ones, I am sure many will rank it among the best. RP, servicing 1229 may not be that difficult if you have the manuals. It's a good player worth servicing

Fully agree. Dual 1019 is a solid precision marvel. I have one with Original printed Manual, changer spindle and Dual needle.
Can stand at par with several of those crowned ones for excellent Audio quality.

That does't say 1229 is in any way inferior. 1229 is also a superb heavy duty player. Be a proud owner.

Regards,
Anil

There are many who swear by the fact that Duals are better than Garrards. Historically, German engineering is hard to beat. But the Garrards are truly amazing. Good to know that these great idlers are making a comeback into the mainstream of vinyl listening.

I have used several Dual idler wheel players earlier but was only impressed by 1229 and 1019. I used 1229 many years ago with a nice Empire 999.

That's for your points and opinions Gents, however I am not going to take this on for at least the next 3-4 months. I would like to utilize all this time dedicated to the 401 as there is a lot in store :).

The Dual 1229 is back to me friends place.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back