Any good hi-fi magazines ?

Pls suggest any good magazines catering to Indian audience.

Hi Krishpiscean,

I have been a regular reader of What Hifi, a British magazine, for the past several decades. It now has an Indian edition, with prices in Indian Rupees and is priced at Rs. 100 a copy. It is a monthly magazine. You may like to go through the latest issue. A fellow member, alipardiwala, is on their staff.

Regards.

I don't think any magazine (or equipment manufacturer) cares much about Indian audience. Your best bet it to pick up one written for hi-fi enthusiast without any concern for his/her country. I can talk about the four magazines that I have tried.

If you want to read articles by people who could never afford to buy any of the equipment they review, AV-MAX is your magazine. It reads like it has been written by a group of poor village people who have been taken to New York and asked to do a write up.

If you like glossy magazines with a trade-journal feel, pick up what hi-fi. Didn't find enough substance to keep me interested. Both AV-MAX and What Hi-Fi rely solely on subjective reviews.

If you can live with an occasional intelligent article and want both subjective reviews and objective testing, pick up Stereophile. I believe they are the benchmark in hi-fi publishing. If I had to choose one, I will pick this one up.

If you want to avoid subjective reviews altogether, are not particular about glossy pictures, read the Audio Critic (online edition only).

Last edited:
If anybody has Ipad then you can download Zinio App on it and then subscribe to Digital editions of Stereophile and Home Theatre Magazines which are the best Magazines I have read so far.

If anybody has Ipad then you can download Zinio App on it and then subscribe to Digital editions of Stereophile and Home Theatre Magazines which are the best Magazines I have read so far.

Anything for Android ...:D

Because we need Indian Audiophiles to review it simple ...... :D

I found the equipment reviews of AV-Max sometimes in total disagreement of Stereophile and some other international magazines.

We do need a magazine for review of Indian Music.

For Indian made systems, I feel that they should make their mark in the international market in terms of sound quality and then they'll get reviewed in these magazines too.

Stereophile - online site is very detailed and carries all their past articles. It is also updated very regularly. Obviously it has an US focus. Most reviews feature detailed measurements.

The Absolute Sound - another very competent magazine.

Hifi News and Record Review - UK publication, as good as Stereophile IMHO, carries measurements of reviews, detailed measurement viewable online.

Hifi+ - mostly covers the stratospheric end of the audio spectrum.

May be Indian music is also reviewed here?(av -Max)for Indian ears.:)

+1

Plus prices are in rupees in Indian market and not like What Hi Fi where they just convert prices in pounds to rupees.
Ultimately its the price that matters at the end of the day. I always read the reviews of those products more enthusiastically which I think I can afford (even when there is no intention of buying them).

Hi,

Many of the posts indicate the need for an Indian hifi magazine which will take into account the requirements and tastes of Indian readers and also discussion of equipment available in India at Indian prices.

The point is whether the Indian hifi lovers market is big enough to support a purely Indian magazine. What do fellow members think?

Regards.

Hi,

Many of the posts indicate the need for an Indian hifi magazine which will take into account the requirements and tastes of Indian readers and also discussion of equipment available in India at Indian prices.

The point is whether the Indian hifi lovers market is big enough to support a purely Indian magazine. What do fellow members think?

Regards.

I bgt a copy of what hifi and it is pretty decent with good examples of audition places in several cities. On their site, it is mentioned that 55k is the circulation count which is not bad.

I bgt a copy of what hifi and it is pretty decent with good examples of audition places in several cities. On their site, it is mentioned that 55k is the circulation count which is not bad.

Hi Krish,

It is nice to know that you have started buying and reading hifi magazines. The circulation figures for What Hifi do indicate a large readership base. A new magazine would of course have to struggle to establish itself.

Regards.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back