Any one using a gramophone?

TaureanBull

I have an old HMV gramophone which is a good antique piece and lies in a corner most of the times. It works and works pretty good. But guess when do I use it?

When there in no electricity. It eats up the needle pretty quickly. I am also very low on the records.

I was wondering if someone else is using one.

How can I improve the sound quality? (no electronics here). From where can I procure more records?

Last edited:
I also own an original HMV in very good condition. As there is no electonics involved , at the , most what you can do is to keep the system clean (dust free) and lubricated. Polish the Horn and wood work etc.

Records? where rare to find but keep hunting , check with local Kabariwalas, I have some 20 odd , some Gazals and Bhajans (artists unknown as labels are gone) .

However my other Vinyl collection (standard LP) is good, some 300+ LPS Jazz, Pop, Rock, Western Classical, Blues ,Indian Classical, Hindi FIlm music and whar not.

check my thread vinyls in VGC(very good condition ) for sale. ur lps problem may get solved. but i wonder what kinda sound quality u are getting from them, is it really worth spending ur money for lps if u dont get better than cds sound that we vinyl lovers die for. eating up needles is okay but eating up lps isnt.
what city u live in??

Hey pardon my knowledge on the subject. I am not sure what it plays is a LP. I dont think its vinyl. Its just the physical contact of the needle. These appear to be magnetic tapes.

Regarding sound quality. Let me tell you its a different experience. When (especially no electricity) you sit quietly in the evening and listen to gramophone (after rotating its handles number of times) and go back in the memories, its different. Its sound quality can not be compared of course. It has a different value of its own.

Well you can add a Hubble bubble to your experience. I am quite keen to get one myself since I find cigerattes are boring. I can smoke different falvoured tobacco to suit my taste.;)
Thanks.

taurean is so damn right...
all the fuss many hifi enthusiasts make frequently converts them to hardware and placement freaks..... that way one starts preferring hardware quality of source rather thn the content quality. the soul ultimately lacks.
its the mood that matters.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back