Any recommendations for grease and lubricant?

avinandan012

Looking for cleaning supply /servicing some decks I picked up from olx.
Looking for
  1. contact cleaner for the pots
  2. Grease for plastic/nylon gear
  3. Lubricating oil for capstan shaft

The best cleaner is Isopropyl Alcohol. If you can get your hands on DetoxIt, that is also good.

Regarding grease, again the best is high grade silicon Grease. This is made by a company called Maax.

Lubricating oil.....recently I found companies making superb lubricating oil for bicycle chains. A small 100ml pack should be enough. I use something called Muc-Off dry lube.

If you are keen on the silicone grease, I can send you some. I have a 1kg pack that I got for my fountain pens. Don't use it at all.

Cheers.

Please do check the whether the grease is compatible with plastic gears. Some deteriorate the plastic parts further in the future it will break being brittle and finding a replacement gear is quite difficult.
Deoxit is quite an expensive contact cleaner to find here in India. However you could try CRC- Quick Drying contact cleaner it should work (they are used for cleaning electronic components of cars etc)
For lubricating oil some would suggest sewing machine oil, don't do that such oil dry up faster and you will have to oil them more frequently. However high viscosity watch oil should do the necessary.

Can anyone recommend which grease to use for lubricating the gears of an old cd player ?
Have read that silicon is better than lithium and synthetic grease as mentioned also in this thread.

Kindly link to the product on Amazon or suggest one which would be available in the local hardware store.

Thanks

Last edited:
Silicone grease is commonly used for much more critical uses in electrical equipment where reliability is extremely important and as a protection against corrosion of contacts. For nylon gears I believe there is a separate grease. Mineral grease can dry and clog up.

Silicone grease can work. I have used from my fountain pen supply to release a jittery CDP tray.

Can anyone recommend which grease to use for lubricating the gears of an old cd player ?
Have read that silicon is better than lithium and synthetic grease as mentioned also in this thread.

Kindly link to the product on Amazon or suggest one which would be available in the local hardware store.

Thanks
Try this..
Super Lube 92003 Silicone Lubricating Grease with PTFE, 3 oz Tube, Translucent White https://amzn.eu/d/4YrZqvV

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back