Any solution to the random high frequency noise from Essence ST

Vulcan

I have my Edirol MA-20D monitors connected to the ST. I dunno if anyone here encountered this issue but there is this high pitched noise (somewhat like white noise) bursting out of the speakers unexpectedly. I'm afraid of damaging the speakers or my ears with the headphones connected. The noise stops instantly on doing anything that plays Windows sound like going one folder back. Tried modded drivers & opamp rolling but nothing helped. Is this an OS issue or a faulty architecture? Otherwise any hardware mods to solve it?

Have you tried listening from Headphones from same line out?Is it the soundcard or the monitor's issue itself?

If the noise goes away with the windows mixer muted, check if the other inputs and outputs are muted, and then try kernel streaming/WASAPI with foobar

Have you tried listening from Headphones from same line out?Is it the soundcard or the monitor's issue itself?

Nope. My headphones are 250 ohms & in the dedicated socket. The monitors are fine. The same issue was there with a borrowed pair of Yamaha actives. I did try the digital out for a short period since the Edirols have an inbuilt DAC. But I didn't like it's SQ hence switched back to RCAs.

If the noise goes away with the windows mixer muted, check if the other inputs and outputs are muted, and then try kernel streaming/WASAPI with foobar

I already am using fb2k with wasapi. All unused i/os are disabled in windows mixer. There are no triggers that I know of, just how to stop it. It happens once in 2 months or sometimes 4 times a day. I checked task manager once with the high pitch playing & found nothing unusual. Anything else I should enable/disable etc?

Download the trail version of JPlay Mini 5.1. It has the option to set the system in hibernate mode. Do this and check whether you still have the problem. Or you can also try the Fidelizer or some name, try to look for this in one of the threads in the forum. This also does something similar.

Thanks

You must try all the physical possibilities first, and you have already tried swapping out the speakers, which should rule them out. Include all the cables in this too, including the ones that should not make a difference! Whilst I don't "believe" mush in mains cables, there is always the possibility of a noise radiating fault or bad design, and there is always the possibility that one audio cable will pick up noise but another will not. Tedious, but try everything! Even, try changing the slot your ST sits in.

On the other hand this...

The noise stops instantly on doing anything that plays Windows sound like going one folder back.

Suggests a problem with Windows. How does one eliminate the OS without removing it? Not as hard as it sounds: download a "live install" Linux like Ubuntu, make a CD and boot from it.

I'd also try another random suggestion: turn off Windows sounds. Do whatever is the current equivalent of "System Sounds: None" for your W version.

Download the trail version of JPlay Mini 5.1. It has the option to set the system in hibernate mode. Do this and check whether you still have the problem. Or you can also try the Fidelizer or some name, try to look for this in one of the threads in the forum. This also does something similar.

Thanks

I've tried XXHE. I don't have latency issues. I disable processes based on their purpose from services & system configuration. No pops or clicks or choppy audio/video here. I'll try the fidelizer but I guess I've already done what it does manually.

What PSU are you using right now ?

Cooler Master GX 650W.

OT: Kadkaphile here. Where do I sign up? :D

You must try all the physical possibilities first, and you have already tried swapping out the speakers, which should rule them out. Include all the cables in this too, including the ones that should not make a difference! Whilst I don't "believe" mush in mains cables, there is always the possibility of a noise radiating fault or bad design, and there is always the possibility that one audio cable will pick up noise but another will not. Tedious, but try everything! Even, try changing the slot your ST sits in.

On the other hand this...

Suggests a problem with Windows. How does one eliminate the OS without removing it? Not as hard as it sounds: download a "live install" Linux like Ubuntu, make a CD and boot from it.

I'd also try another random suggestion: turn off Windows sounds. Do whatever is the current equivalent of "System Sounds: None" for your W version.

Here's what happened today. I got the banshee scream of eternal ear & equipment doom thrice in 2 hours on sliding the seekbar. First time I just knocked the headphones off my head in reflex. Checked the event logs but nothing. I was running emule Xtreme during that course. The issue never happens with qbittorrent as far as I can remember. I'm eyeing the onboard realtek Win7 x64 network drivers. I had bad latency spikes issue in the past which got resolved by microsoft drivers (no jokes!) Later on it was fixed in the updates. I'll install Ubuntu on dual boot tonight.

I checked the Asus forum for a solution but here's what a user has to say:

There is digital DC offset on all Xonar Essence ST/STX S/PDIF outputs.

From Stereophile review:
"I was at first alarmed by this behaviorif you happen to pause playback just when a waveform peaked at its maximum possible level, the resultant DC offset will be equivalent to a full-scale signal." and destroy the speakers...

I ain't using the S/PDIF but any connections here? The noise plays at full Windows volume without the volume slider all the way up.

wait a sec, You said that this sound is so loud you are afraid that it might damage the speakers
You also say that it comes with the windows mixer muted - correct?

beginning to doubt if its a hardware issue. forget installing linux. just try booting from the live cd.

try the soundcard in another machine (a friend's machine perhaps)

Let me explain what the sound is like & what just happened. I've detached the speakers & Beyers & plugged in cheap headphones. The noise consists of ~8kHz pitch mixed with white noise (static). I muted all windows sounds manually with the emule running & seeked a song in foobar. It got triggered. But this time after closing foobar & going a folder back, the static stopped but the 8kHz pitch didn't. I had to restart the computer.

This issue is being discussed here and here but nobody found a solution. I'll let you know after trying the live boot. In the mean time if anything else could be a possible solution I could try, just let me know.

Just an update. Just when I was all lazed out to try Ubuntu, I noticed that I had installed Asus' official 1821 drivers. The high pitch issues were very frequent since they were installed. So I cleansed them off the system & installed UniXonar's 1821. The high pitched noise didn't show up till the next day just once. It has never come back eversince. Probably the drivers suck even after modification but I think I'll just part with the card & go for a Sabre DAC or something. Thanx everyone for your support.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back