ARCAM Sound Signature

heliumflight

Hi Friends,

Upgraditis
I think the next step of the never ending upgrade path will be the amp as I want detail as well full bodied midrange. Basically I want it all.

My Preferences
Not looking for accurate reproduction but fun and enjoyment where I can listen to my music for hours and forget about the music system.
I dont like lean sounding amp likes Bryston or overly warm amps like Sugden. I know synergy plays a vital part in the chain and realized that we should not go on the strengths and weakness of independent units but as complete systems.

My interpretation/ realization
How 'I judge a system on how well it convinces me, if I close my eyes, and if the music is involving. Then thats my benchmark for quality sound.

So I am not concerned about having tons of bass. Favorites in my record collection are Pink Floyd, Peter White, BB King, Radiohead. I enjoy more music with female vocalists like Karen Carpenters.

Research
I am not afraid of buying used. I have done some research on the internet and have read good things about Arcam amps. I also know that I should listen to as many amps as possible but this is difficult when looking at the used market as stuff may appear in different cities.

Price
Price is not necessarily a constraint (although it will influence how long it takes me to acquire my dream system). I am prepared to spend enough to reveal the benefits of my amp etc. but not so that I am spending hundreds where the extra benefits are negligible or not revealed by my equipment. I thought that an expensive amp may give you all that you want. However I have realized that even a 1300 pound amp did not suit my requirement.

I like to know if someone has listened to an Arcam amp- FMJ A22. What is the sound signature and how will it suit PMC TB2?

Please feel free to share your views if you have tried ARCAM. It shall be interesting to read your experiences...
I hope all of that makes sense. Many thanks for your contributions in anticipation.

Thanks for your time.

--
helium
SB Classic> Beresford DAC 7510 MK4> Sugden A21a + PMC TB2 > Lyrita ICs + Cables => MUSIC

Last edited:
Hi Helium, The arcam is a good amp with a soft and musical sound signature. It will be very different from your old Bryston.
Couple of months back I had Purchased a FMJ A22 from a seller from CHennai, but have to return it because of some problem with the amplifier. The older Alpha series should be much better then the A22. I have used a Alpha 5 and it was a terrific amplifier. Or try the FMJ A 28 or the A18.

heliumflight

As you have mentioned, synergy plays an important part and we should look at the complete system rather than at individual parts. If I had to pick one component which was all important, then it would be the speakers. If you get that wrong, then all the other components will also sound bad.

Assuming that your source, speakers, cables and IC's as mentioned in your signature are constant, you have plenty of choices for amps in the midfi range. The Brits build some excellent midfi amps with 50-100W at 8 ohms. Most of them can be bought in India new or used with a bit of digging around.

The brands you could look at are Arcam, Cyrus, Naim, Primare, Roksan Kandy. Also Sim Moon, Classe, Ayre, Krell, Jeff Rowland, although they are in a more expensive bracket. And finally the Accuphase integrated amps.

I have not mentioned Bryston, because you don't seem to like it. I have been using a Bryston pre power for almost one year now, and I do not find it 'lean' or 'dry' or 'bland' as some people do. I think its a fantastic amp. A solid workhorse at a relatively affordable price. With oodles of power, detail and bass slam. It builds up an enormous and very convincing soundstage. But in Indian conditions, I believe an online UPS with adequate output power is ESSENTIAL for the Bryston pre/power. In fact an online UPS is the FIRST upgrade that anyone should make for any audio/video system.

None of the amps I have heard till now can compare with a Bryston Pre Power. The only upgrade I am mulling in the future is an Accuphase. And even there, I am not convinced that an integrated Accuphase like E 450 or E 460, would perform better than the BP6/ 4B SST. Not until I actually hear it in MY room! For the moment I am happy and content:)

To be suffering from upgradeitis means that one is also suffering from 'I am not enjoying listening to music anymore'. At least that is the way it is for me. Everytime I start doubting my source, amp, speakers, cables or IC's, I stop enjoying listening to music. Therfore I keep my 'doubts' in check, and do not allow them to lead me on to the never ending and financially debilitating path of constant upgrades :)

I fully agree with Ajay about the synergy that should be present in a combo. I have experimented with systems time and again and found that unless all links match, one doesnt get the best out of the components, but when they do match, the system sings!

The amp which you currently own (the sugden A21a) is a very good amp. Warm and musical without compromising much on the detail. One area where you will find improvement with a high power class AB solid-state amp is bite and slam. Apart from this, I doubt you will hear any improvement.

So you need to first figure out, what you are missing from your current setup.

The bryston amps are recommended by PMC. You ought to check the combination out. You may actually like it.

Heres an integrated amp which comes highly recommended. It is a sold bargain and sold direct to customer.

The Portal Panache Integrated Amplifier

Portal Audio Panache

Helium
Unless there is an unlimited budget, all audio is about compromise somewhere. The trick I suppose is to spot the one you can live with longer as early as possible in the upgrade chain. As you have experience with as varied upmarket components as Bryston and Sudgen and also Lyrita I suppose, an Arcam may not really be a substantial upgrade in that sense apart from the synergy aspect as mentioned by Ajay and George. But to know that you have to live with it for sometime in your system.
PS. I have not heard the Arcam.
Cheers

Thanks to all for adding valuable contributions to my thread.....

I know pretty much what sound signature I'm looking for as I listen to music daily 4-6 hours at a stretch:eek:. I dont like lean sound, nor absence of body/ weight behind the instruments, and bright sounding is a strict 'No'. I do like warm sound but with lots of detail. I know, I sound contradictory here:rolleyes: ..I guess I wanted something in between, hence I chose the Arcam.

The Bryston + PMC combo is greatly raved, but I have my reservations as I've lived with a Bryston for years, hence convienced that for long hours of listening, this combintion will not do it for me.

I will be getting the Arcam shortly, then will find out if it has synergy with PMC.

--
Kindest regards,
helium

I concur with Himadri.

Any arcam is not an upgrade over a sugden. It will just be a different sound. More of a horizontal upgrade. In some ways you are in the danger of going lower down the chain.

Sugden is a no-nonsense hifidelity manufacturer working with some well established hifidelity principles.

You need to look beyond ! If you are looking for a warm sound with lot of details, look at amps like plinius. Or even a Leben.

Having come across the arcam i feel capable to suggest my opinion. I have one classic audio 6.10 ss amplifier. Pl go through the net. Its gorgeously built up with high end substances. Painstaking built up with r&d make THE AMP the tube quality combined with solid state. Means mid and upper range clarity and the cute bass from the ss and low back ground noise or hum. It is just 70 watts p.c but it outbeats any pre power combo in slam in its nearby category or little more power too. It is definitely better than arcam i feel. I feel most of the british amps give lean bass. Cyrus arcam rokshan caspian rokshan candy like that. That means given watts to the bass is no comparison. Ok have a personal experience and let us know so as we can also update thanks.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back