Are 4 Ohms Speaker are better sound than 8 Ohm Speakers?

Trittya,

Thanks a lot for a description. Even a person who is Noob in speakers sector can give a lecture on this topic after reading the Explaination.This information is going to help me over the life time.

Final words to say " Dont hesitate to deny a "4 Ohms Speakers" even its made as Gift":)
As it empty ur pockets for amp also waste some power(amp) into wires.

Thanks all the FM who shared their Knowledge and experience in this thread :)

Impedance is never a constant value. It varies from each frequency. So, the so called 8Ohm speaker can also dip down to 3ohms at certain frequencies. Dont just judge a speaker by numbers alone. Only through a proper live demo or testing, you can say if a speaker is power hungry or not.

look at it this way..

a. A Speaker DRAWS current from the amplifier.

b. the amplifier DOES NOT SEND current to the speaker

c. If the speaker impedance reduces..the speaker will try to draw more current from the amp.. then the amp must be in position to deliver the higher current requested by the speaker. If not.. then clipping etc..

d. If the speaker is of high impedance.. then even a moderate power amp
( read current ) will be able to drive it. This is reverse of point c.

e. In reality.. no speaker impedance is EVER constant.. it varies with frequency. What is to be seen is the constancy of impedance over the freq range and THIS IS what decides which speaker is better than the other.

f. If speaker A provides a constant impedance over the freq spectrum evben though it may be 4 ohms.. then that will be preferred to the over where impedance varies ( though it may be rated avg 8 ohms )

Point E is where system matching comes in and this is the subjectivity of it all..

I stand ready to be chided and corrected !

;-))

regards,
mpw
Very nicely explained. One question though- if we have a sufficient high power amplifier and if the speaker impedance varies a lot, would it not effect the quality?

Very nicely explained. One question though- if we have a sufficient high power amplifier and if the speaker impedance varies a lot, would it not effect the quality?
Speaker impedance varies all the time and will vary based on what it is playing. So what you hear is always a result of this.

Only exception to the rule is if the speaker has an impedance correction circuit like a zobel network. This makes the speaker easy to drive.

I have a speaker of this type. There is a small pin that can be plugged in when being driven by a low power solid state or tube amplifier.

Speaker impedance varies all the time and will vary based on what it is playing. So what you hear is always a result of this.

Only exception to the rule is if the speaker has an impedance correction circuit like a zobel network. This makes the speaker easy to drive.

I have a speaker of this type. There is a small pin that can be plugged in when being driven by a low power solid state or tube amplifier.
Okay, 2 more question. When we connect 2 speakers to an amp using 2 "channels" - is it a parallel connection ? I.e the effective impedance is 2 ohms for the amp ? Also, if one is building a 3 way speaker with 2 drivers 4 ohm each. In what way are they arranged ? Series or parallel? I am coming straight from a YouTube video of making a 3 ways speaker from doogesound drivers which was not clear enough on ohms.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back