Are central locking systems for cars safe?

I heard of a story where a car got stuck in a traffic jam on a water-logged road in one of the big cities of India.The exhaust got covered and the carbon monoxide seeped back into the car, the doors got jammed and either the windows would not roll down or they did not realise they had to open the windows manually. Guess, the minds of the occupants got foggy due to the carbon-monoxide. They passed away in the car.

In any case, there are instances where cars roll of bridges or curves and into canals and there is no backing off there. A Hammer is a must.

Regards

Carbon monoxide will do that. Just last year I read about a group of software engineers enjoying air conditioning with the engine off and dying due to CO poisoning.

The hammer idea is worth investigating. It might come handy in a road-rage incident as well, I guess :).

From where could we get this in India?

i carry one too

A Hammer is a must.

I carry a steel Nun chuk on long drives. Thankfully, haven't had a chance to use it yet, but am sure it does well in the situation discussed and more;)
Nunchaku-img.jpg

BTW, one should not even attempt what BruceLee used to do with the Nunchaku without formal training. You can hurt yourself seriously.

Other all-purpose must-haves on a long drive or life in general are:
1) Maglite (for lighting and as a weapon)
2) Victorinox Swiss Knife (for its well thoughtout, well made utilities/tools)

Carbon monoxide will do that. Just last year I read about a group of software engineers enjoying air conditioning with the engine off and dying due to CO poisoning.

The hammer idea is worth investigating. It might come handy in a road-rage incident as well, I guess :).

This sounds scary! If engine is off, where did the CO come from?

Same danger with using methane fuel cells in a tent or cave and camp stove!!

Regards

Thad - operating with that philosophy - I dont think anybody can trust their tyres not to burst or their power steering not to become jammed when they are going at over 120 clicks an hour on a highway! :)
The steering should failback to manual. The tyre blowout --- yep... we're on our own. How would the locks work? If they would fail, in the absence of current, to unlocked, that would be ideal, but I suspect that they do not.

I heard of a story where a car got stuck in a traffic jam on a water-logged road in one of the big cities of India.The exhaust got covered and the carbon monoxide seeped back into the car, the doors got jammed and either the windows would not roll down or they did not realise they had to open the windows manually. Guess, the minds of the occupants got foggy due to the carbon-monoxide. They passed away in the car.
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think a car will run with the exhaust blocked, or not for long and, anyway, why should the alternative be for the fumes to enter the interior of the car? Having said that --- I don't doubt the story: all it needs is holes in the exhaust, holes in the body work; even running a hatchback with the hatch open, can lead to CO poisoning. Nasty stuff.

thekinge, I had no idea that things were that bad in Dubai! Recently I visited Singapore, and the traffic discipline is astounding.

I lived in US before moving to Dubai...The difference in driving culture between US & Dubai can only be described as culture shock to the power of 2! On the positive side, despite the recent increase in theft & burglary, crime rates in Dubai are very, very low compared to western cities like London or New York and there is no gun related violence:) Women can still go out all alone late in the night in this city.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think a car will run with the exhaust blocked, or not for long and, anyway, why should the alternative be for the fumes to enter the interior of the car? Having said that --- I don't doubt the story: all it needs is holes in the exhaust, holes in the body work; even running a hatchback with the hatch open, can lead to CO poisoning. Nasty stuff.

I do not quite remember why it happened, but this is a true story and it happened in late 2006. The car was a Hyundai Santro and the incident happened in G N Chetty Road, right around the Vani Mahal area. Three software engineers were in the car which was being driven through a heavily flooded G N Chetty road and they got stuck in a traffic jam, with their exhaust under water. With the car not moving and the exhaust being flooded, the exhaust plumes seeped into the car and all three engineers died after inhaling carbon monoxide for a long time. I remember seeing this in Sun news. Here's a link to the news coverage in The Hindu : Front Page : When water & air conspire to kill

Ah, yes, I remember that story. Thanks for the link.

Driving in Chennai, after London/UK was something of a culture shock too. In fact, it took me a year to pluck up courage to do it!

Ah Road Rash!! That was a nice game, used to be thrilled hitting the cop on the motorcycle:eek:hyeah:.

+1 to that Santosh: ) This is one game that I played for hours together in my very first game console, a PlayStation 1. You can even pluck weapons from other bikers as they are about to hit you, and then hit them back with their own weapon: )

Ah Road Rash!! That was a nice game, used to be thrilled hitting the cop on the motorcycle:eek:hyeah:.

One of my all time fav games.... still have it on my old laptop, play it when I am stressed & it works wonders every single time!!! Inspite of my wanting to lead each & every time, I very frequently slow down when a cop appears to beat the S$%t outaa him kicking him till he has a nasty fall :eek:hyeah: I use the same fundaa when another rider acts 'funny' with me.... ensure that he has a fall, still better is run over:indifferent14: Total Road Rage at its best!!! :licklips:

+1 to that Santosh: ) This is one game that I played for hours together in my very first game console, a PlayStation 1. You can even pluck weapons from other bikers as they are about to hit you, and then hit them back with their own weapon: )

Now I know where people learn rash driving :) It is a learned art .. not natural ... hmmm :eek:hyeah:

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back