Are current generation LCD/LED TV's really reliable?

parthiban76

I have an 40" & 46" LCD TV's from Samsung (Series 5) which I have bought 3 years back.
The 40" had a dead pixel issue with in 3 months of purchase & fortunately Samsung has replaced the panel under warranty & I was very happy with excellent customer service from Samsung.
Now recently major issues started on my 46" with a big horizontal line at the bottom of the screen & the screen above the line causing jumping/overlapping of pictures & temporary multiple horizontal lines.
I called Samsung service & they told it needs a complete panel replacement & estimated cost is 30K INR.

Instead of replacing the panel, I am thinking of going for a new LED with bigger screen size (55 - 60"), but really worried about reliability of LCD/LED TV's.
Unlike older CRT TV's, any screen problem on LCD/LED needs a complete replacement of panel & no companies are ready to repair the components & charge customers heavily (almost 50 - 60% of TV cost) for panel replacement.

So, which TV brand is reliable? Seems even the local companies like Onida, Videocon, Micromax & Vu are selling good LED TV's. It may not be having features like 3D/Smart TV & build quality like leading brands Sony, Samsung, LG, etc..., but seems to be real value for money & some companies even offer 3 years extended warranty.

Really appreciate if members of this forum can update their experience with MNC & Indian brands to decide on my new TV.

In mumbai videocon offering 5 years warentee

I bought a videocon50 " LED 15 days back just a week before this scheme) with 3 years of warentee .

No, they aren't as reliable as they used to come.

There was a time a TV could last a generation. Now they barely last through their warranty. The quality control is going down across the board. Manufacturer's seem to assume (correctly?) that people would upgrade even before the warranty period.

We (consumers) are, in part, at fault too. We have given birth to the have money, will buy culture. We run after the latest and greatest. All in the name of show-off. Manufacturers are merely exploiting the consumers' weakness through clever marketing.

In today's times it is a wiser decision (wallet wise) to buy the TV with longest warranty even if that comes at a bit of sacrifice of features and sophistication. Let the manufacturers feel the heat. Hint them what you want. If the life of TV is your concern, choose one that guarantees a longer life than be sold on features and clever marketing.

Warranty are no warranty, the current GEN Tvs are not as reliable the CRT ones. Period. Nowadays, products are manufactured to serve only a limited time or pre determined time.

Gone are the days where of those manufacturing methods. With Value engineering and cost reduction and great technical advancement, manufacturer are build a product to serve a limited time period only.

I think it is not worth spending 30K on a 3 yrs old TV... Am sure even if you replace the panel, there is no warranty period at all... (or) at the max they might provide you 6 months... After that you are on your own....

Try to take the money from Samsung after depreciated value club it with what you might spend on the panel replacement & go for the new ones....

VU has some good 55 inch models for 60K.... Don't spend more than that, given the issues that you have faced....

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back