Are my sony speakers compatible with yamaha RX-497?

amitwats2004

I have a pair of Sony speakers, model no.: SS-TS51 having rate power of 100 Watt each, 3 ohms at 1kHz, 1% THD. Can I use these speakers with Yamaha Stereo amplifier RX-497. Please give your views.

If the above speakers are not useful, then please recommend a book shelf speaker for a room size of 12' x 14' x 8' height. My budget for speaker is not more than Rs. 10,000/-.

I will be using Yamaha Stereo amplifier RX-497 having RMS output of 75 watt x 2.

Look forward for your suggestions.

Thanks & Regards

Is the amp AX 497 or RX 497? Is it HT or Stereo Amp?

For better sound I suggest you buy good bookshlves.

Since your budget is less then 10K I suggest you audition the Norge bookshelves at their Mahim showroom/factory.

If you can stretch then there's Wharfedale, Polk Audio....

3 ohm impedence will cause the receiver to heat up due to the excessive current. I reco not to use them

I have a pair of Sony speakers, model no.: SS-TS51 having rate power of 100 Watt each, 3 ohms at 1kHz, 1% THD. Can I use these speakers with Yamaha Stereo amplifier RX-497. Please give your views.

If the above speakers are not useful, then please recommend a book shelf speaker for a room size of 12' x 14' x 8' height. My budget for speaker is not more than Rs. 10,000/-.

I will be using Yamaha Stereo amplifier RX-497 having RMS output of 75 watt x 2.

Look forward for your suggestions.

Thanks & Regards

+1 to Marsilians. 3 ohm speakers will damage the amp.
@amitwats2004: I imagine you've got those speakers off the sony HTIB 5.1 set-up (DZ-556KB or something in those lines)? I have the SS-TS73 speakers from a similar set-up and its now all packed up after I got the RX-797; 100x2 (bigger brother to your 497).
A fundamental thumb-rule wrt matching amps to spkrs is you'll have to first match the spkr impedance and then comes the wattage/type etc. The 497 is capable of driving down unto 6-ohm speakers and nothing less.
Get yourself a pair of bookshelves as you already have thought to, I'm using a Wharfedale 9.2 which mates pretty well to the 797. It's a touch on the bassy side but I have adjusted the tone/base/loudness settings to my liking and it sounds great! Also invest in some good spkr cables 14g atleast.

Run a search through the forum for bookshelves, there are heaps of discussions and recommendations. You'll get a general idea of what to get. If I may, take a look at the Wharf 9.2 (it's ~13k as I've read elsewhere in the forum, but really good speakers)

Last edited:
while browsing througi variour online shops, i came across infinity primus p162 book shelf speakers. i found its specification very attractive if compared to its price which is within my budget as well. wht r ur comments on my latest selection? regards and thanks to all.

sorry for the late response. The 797 has been performing pretty well and I'm glad to have got it. I listen to a lot of music (all sorts from classical to metal) and do watch movies (have connected a 10" Yamaha SW216) and it's been pretty engrossing so far.

One thing that I recommend u do is to keep the amp in a clear ventilated shelf, keep it running cool. Not that these amps run hot but it's a general good practice.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back