Are our favorite websites screwing us in the time of need?

arnprasad

I was checking out few products on both Amazon and Flipkart and I see that they have increased prices a lot. While some part of it can be attributed to INR losing value to USD - I cant think of any major tax increases. Was a bit surprised. Also with all these websites using some kind of AI to check each others prices and adjust accordingly, I am surprised how well this comparison works. Check this product out - 2200 before lockdown and 3999 after lockdown!! Similarly I got a Poco F1 for 14999 minus 10% off in Jan. Now its 18999!! Atleast in case of mobiles there was a small increase in duties

Same story when I check prices on Amazon on https://pricehistory.in/

I too felt the same. May be they trying to cash in by utilising reduced supply and more demand?? People are still wary of going out to stores especially the IT people.

Operating costs have also slightly gone up due to additional security checks, need for masks and sanitizers, higher costs of freight and couriers, etc. However, all this will not justify the kind of hike being observed.

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi

While demand has been moderate, supply has been even more constrained. especially for stuff that is imported. So vendors are making hay.

Take for example SpO2 Meters to measure oxygen saturation. they were averaging 1500/- pre lockdown. i just missed buying one. Currently the average price is 3500/-

another "non essential" Example - finish dishwash tablets - available with very few sellers and about 2.5X the price pre lockdown.

Yeah..I understand all that. Same folks used to subsidize heavily incurring huge losses...few more thousands of crores in losses wont hurt in these critical times..particularly in a poor country like ours .....it would have been a good gesture to continue..particularly when Amazon and walmart share prices are near all time highs

Price of logistics is getting higher and higher with the pandemic.
There are almost no options with some channels not even available.

Earlier when demand was better vendors were able to spread costs over volume. Not any more.

While demand has been moderate, supply has been even more constrained. especially for stuff that is imported. So vendors are making hay.

Take for example SpO2 Meters to measure oxygen saturation. they were averaging 1500/- pre lockdown. i just missed buying one. Currently the average price is 3500/-

another "non essential" Example - finish dishwash tablets - available with very few sellers and about 2.5X the price pre lockdown.

After you mentioned this - I checked on one I bought in Oct last year for my Nepal trek. The one I bought for 1300 is 4380 today!!!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back