At what stage does one manage volume?

oyeindia

I'm curious to know what the theory is behind controlling volume, that is, at what stage in the chain should one manage volume.

For example, in my setup, I can control volume at any or all of these stages:

1. Source - Winamp on my netbook
2. Source - Windows Mixer (but since I stream ASIO, not available now)
3. DAC - My earlier DAC (M-Audio Fast Track had a volume control, my current rDAC does not)
4. Receiver.

In my other setup, I can control volume at source (Xtreamer, PS3, TS+HD) or on the receiver.

Where, from the perspective of good sound quality, should I manage volume?

The output that comes from a source such as PC or a player is called input gain to the amplifier. DACs do provide simple amplification and the volume control is used more for headphones. In a regular setup, the amplifier is the last in the chain and that is what must be used to control the amplitude or volume. You 'set' the gain from the sources including DAC, if any, to ensure that the input to the amplifier is not at distortion levels. If beyond this you see a difference between various media that you use, this is an issue with the recording level used in the studio when the media was cut. The only way to change this is with the volume control in the amplifier.

Cheers

Thanks for the explanation. So what I was doing instinctively was correct.

Is there a way - empirically - to set the right input gain on the source? I mean with test tones and SPL meters and so on, instead of relying on our perception of distortion?

You have to read the manual of the amplifier and set the input gain to match that. What you have to measure is the voltage that is coming from the source. This has to match the voltage that the amp is expecting.

Cheers

Or in the case of separates, the preamp, since the power amp is an amp with only a power on switch and no controls. Most preamps have selector switch and volume controls.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back