Atacama Nexus 7i, shopyourworld, custom charges and a few other things

thatguy

<rant>

A few months ago when I started buying audio equipment, I added a speaker stand to the list. I check out the the local brand (rhymes with mono) but like most Indian sellers, they had made the buying process so difficult I had to give them a pass.

I started off with Soundstyle Z2. Shopyourworld's price was about 11k including shipping and taxes which I found rather high. I contacted one of the forum member who claims to represent Armour and asked him if he can get me one. He quoted Rs 8500 and then decided to play the bait and switch. After confidently telling me that I could come and collect it the next day, he spent 15 minutes on the phone trying to convince me that Q Acoustics 2000ST Speaker stand review - from the experts at whathifi.com is same as soundstyle z2. The arguments were varied. The mother company had stopped producing soundtyle z2; 2000ST was a newer version of z2; He was a dealer and of course knew more than me and I should just buy whatever he is giving me. How about a little respect?

After some more research I realized that Z2, which is 60 cm high, may not work for me. Then I found Atacama. Lots of good reviews, affordable and comes in multiple heights. I landed up at Audio Planet. After making me wait for about 20 minutes, Mr Palani decided to meet me and tell me that Atacama may be 'over-engineered' for my rather cheap speakers. When I insisted, he said he had a few in store and would call me up and tell me the price. And I should leave the store.

At this point, I decided that shopyourworld was probably the best way. I ordered the Nexus 7i for 10,000, 8000 for the stands and 2000 for customs. Shoyourworld was delivered the stands 3 weeks later.

Mr Palani's assistant did call a week later and quoted a price of 10500 for Nexus 6i.

About a month later I decided to check the papers that came with the stands and realized that even shopyourworld had not played straight. They had passed the item as low value gift and pocketed the customs money.

I called them up for the first time in the middle of Feb. They kept stalling saying that they are waiting for the logistics dept to investigate and respond. After half a dozen calls and 4 weeks, I got my money back yesterday.

I am happy I got my money back but this experience has just made me more determined to get into DIY. I just don't want to have anything to do with audio equipment dealers (ok, one more amp and thats it).

I have had better experience as a customer in GB Road.

Cheers.

</rant>

Last edited:
can u share how you realized that syw had passed the item as low value gift ...?

what amt did you see in the final bill sent to you by syw and how did you figure this all out ?

what conversation did you have with syw people regarding the same ?

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back