Atc Scm19, passive speakers

navy831

Hello,
Please can anyone advise me on these speakers?
Room is like 10 by 12 ft. Listen to all kinds of music. Pop, Jazz , Rock , Classical and anything.
Don't like bright sounding stuff.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for joining.

ATC SCM19 are amazing speakers but they do need plenty of power.
They excel in small intimate settings but can rock out if needed.

One of the better speakers out there.

Regards

Welcome to the forum.
ATC SCM19 are very good speakers and they need quality amplification.
You would do well to use a good power amp of minimum 200 watts to get the best out of them.
Cheers

Last edited:
ATC SCM19 are amazing speakers but they do need plenty of power.
They excel in small intimate settings but can rock out if needed.

One of the better speakers out there.

Regards

@Nikhil, does it also mean that the volume needs to be kep high for them to sound? Or that the speaker sounds well even at low volumes when driven by capable (powerful) amplifier?

Hello,
Please can anyone advise me on these speakers?
Room is like 10 by 12 ft. Listen to all kinds of music. Pop, Jazz , Rock , Classical and anything.
Don't like bright sounding stuff.
Thanks

Dear Sir, you are in Singapore and the dealer there has most of the ATC speakers on demo.. Would make sense if you go and take a listen yourself and check if it's bright or not...

@Nikhil, does it also mean that the volume needs to be kep high for them to sound? Or that the speaker sounds well even at low volumes when driven by capable (powerful) amplifier?

A powerful amplifier is one part. Quality power is the other.
A high quality amp will bring out the dynamics and control that the SCM19 are famous for.

A huge factor is that the room also determines how much power is needed.

A powerful amplifier is one part. Quality power is the other.
A high quality amp will bring out the dynamics and control that the SCM19 are famous for.

A huge factor is that the room also determines how much power is needed.

Thanks. Is there an objective measure of ‘quality of power’ for an amp?

It can be felt on comparitive audition. I have observed many times between my class d 100 watts and class AB 80 watts amps

Between different classes would be obvious Class A> Class A/B > Class D... though there couid be some exceptions to this. However, are there any objective criteria (specification/ components/ construction etc) that can differentiate quality of power within a given class of amplifiers? Or is it just left to subjective comparative auditioning?

And I am not referring to the sonic properties such as musicality, soundstage, distortion etc. But sheer speaker drivability.

Am asking this esp.because the ATC SCM is one of the speakers in contention for my upgrade, and all reviews say they are power hungry, needing >150 WPC into 8 ohm or >250 WPC into 4 ohm to get the best out of them. But then again, I’ve seen videos of a Naim XS3 (just 70 WPC into 8 ohm or 100 WPC into 4 ohms) making them sing. So what else in the spec/construction/components used in the Naim does that?

Am asking this esp.because the ATC SCM is one of the speakers in contention for my upgrade, and all reviews say they are power hungry, needing >150 WPC into 8 ohm or >250 WPC into 4 ohm to get the best out of them. But then again, I’ve seen videos of a Naim XS3 (just 70 WPC into 8 ohm or 100 WPC into 4 ohms) making them sing. So what else in the spec/construction/components used in the Naim does that?
Purely from a specs point of view, the new SCM19v2 has a steady impedance that does not drop below 4 ohms. I have driven mine satisfactorily with a 20 watt SE tube amp. with the 4 ohm taps. So yes even lower wattage amps. will drive the ATC SCM19v2. The v1 OTOH would not sound good with low power amps. I used to drive my older v1's with 150 watt solid state power for better sound.
So if you are planning on v2 with a 75-100 watt amp. should be adequate imo. The Singapore dealer does many of his demos of these speakers with 20-50 watt tube amps. from line magnetic. You can probably email him for a feedback as well.
Also the v2 sound good even at lower listening levels, which is how I listen most of the time.
Cheers,
Sid

Purely from a specs point of view, the new SCM19v2 has a steady impedance that does not drop below 4 ohms. I have driven mine satisfactorily with a 20 watt SE tube amp. with the 4 ohm taps. So yes even lower wattage amps. will drive the ATC SCM19v2. The v1 OTOH would not sound good with low power amps. I used to drive my older v1's with 150 watt solid state power for better sound.
So if you are planning on v2 with a 75-100 watt amp. should be adequate imo. The Singapore dealer does many of his demos of these speakers with 20-50 watt tube amps. from line magnetic. You can probably email him for a feedback as well.
Also the v2 sound good even at lower listening levels, which is how I listen most of the time.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks @sidvee . It always helps hearing from an actual user. Firstly it’s reassuring that the SCM 19 v2 sounds good even at low volume, I was concerned about this given that its power hungry ness was highlighted in every review I read, and that playing above 80dB (avg) is almost impossible in Mumbai apartments without annoying the neighbours. Most of my listening is between 70-80dB, and in the night around 65dB.

Would also like to know if the SCM 19 v2 is particularly suited to tube amps? Would you particularly advise tub amplification for the v2 or even SS could match up adequately well? Also, any recommendations of SS integrated amps that go well with the v2 and are in the 1.5-3 lac range?

Thanks @sidvee . It always helps hearing from an actual user. Firstly it’s reassuring that the SCM 19 v2 sounds good even at low volume, I was concerned about this given that its power hungry ness was highlighted in every review I read, and that playing above 80dB (avg) is almost impossible in Mumbai apartments without annoying the neighbours. Most of my listening is between 70-80dB, and in the night around 65dB.

Would also like to know if the SCM 19 v2 is particularly suited to tube amps? Would you particularly advise tub amplification for the v2 or even SS could match up adequately well? Also, any recommendations of SS integrated amps that go well with the v2 and are in the 1.5-3 lac range?
My listening level is also around 75-80 db. If you are considering tube amps. for the SCM19v2, I would recommend ones that are rated 50-75 watts, usually many push-pull designs are mostly at this level (some have triode/pentode switching with pentode mode outputting higher wattage). However IMO since the scm19v2 has a relatively neutral tonality and definitely no bias towards the cooler side of neutral, solid state amplification works quite well with this speaker. I would recommend the entry level luxman 505uxII which is around 3 lac, or the kinki studio integrated, the Krell (preowned 400's maybe), Accuphase 270 or 380 (not sure of their pricing in India), Bryston b153cubed (however bryston pricing in India is ridiculous), the parasound integrated etc . Please note all of these will bring their own tonal signatures to the speakers and each one's preference will be their own, but they will all drive the speakers very well. I am driving mine with the Luxman m-700 u amp. and really love the sound.
Cheers,
Sid

Between different classes would be obvious Class A> Class A/B > Class D... though there couid be some exceptions to this. However, are there any objective criteria (specification/ components/ construction etc) that can differentiate quality of power within a given class of amplifiers? Or is it just left to subjective comparative auditioning?

And I am not referring to the sonic properties such as musicality, soundstage, distortion etc. But sheer speaker drivability.

Though I haven't listened to SCM 19 v2 for a significant time, my assertion is based on listening to SCM 40 v2, SCM 11s and other Atc line up is that, they need quality and powerful amplifier to bring the best out of them. I have discussed the remarkable improvements we saw with Dual Vidar in bridged mode vs Single Vidar paired with Atc SCM 11s earlier. All regular amplifiers used to struggle to drive them authoritatively and one of the best Sounds with Atc was achieved by driving them with Mark Levinson 23.5, Gryphon Callisto, Plinius 8200 in my experience. I never tried the tube amplification for the same reason and powerful tube amplification should be able to drive them (along with Accuphase and Luxman amps) according to the dealers.
Surprisingly, Naim 5si @60wpc drove 11s quite comfortably for lesser Spl listening. But distortion was apparent when you clock more than 50% on volume dial. Crown Xls 2502 did drive SCM 11s comfortably as well but the quality of amplification left a lot to be desired from audiophile perspective. Being a sealed design and 85db sensitivity powerful amplifier is a must in my opinion.

Both, The Strength and Weakness of Atc Lineup is unfortunately same and that is, they're Brutally Honest to the quality of upstream Electronics and the original recordings. If you spend for decent amplification for Atc, you'll have to look for the source, and recording etc as next upgrade. A minor cable changes will matter as well. If you have poor recordings they'll sound pretty bad. I haven't come across as revealing speakers as ATC SCM series.

Why it is so? Because ATC SCM series are designed & used more as Studio monitors (there's nothing wrong with using studio monitors for home listening) ; but its their basic USP to aid studio engineers on further fine tuning while recording and digitally mastering the music. The impeccable transparency helps a lot during mastering. Important part of my music listening, like 90s Bollywood are not well mastered, so I just striked down ATC off the list with a heavy heart. Apart from need for quality amplification and electronics I found this as limiting factor. You may look for Audiophile Series Speakers from B&W, Ushers, Castle Knight, AudioNote, Dynaudio, Focals which are less transparent and instead focus towards presenting everything in audibly enthralling way, even when the source /recording is not great. This is again a discussion between faithful reproduction vs audibly impressive reproduction and I went with the latter.

There are not many sealed speakers for audition apart from ATC ...

Mostly all others are ported

Though I haven't listened to SCM 19 v2 for a significant time, my assertion is based on listening to SCM 40 v2, SCM 11s and other Atc line up is that, they need quality and powerful amplifier to bring the best out of them. I have discussed the remarkable improvements we saw with Dual Vidar in bridged mode vs Single Vidar paired with Atc SCM 11s earlier. All regular amplifiers used to struggle to drive them authoritatively and one of the best Sounds with Atc was achieved by driving them with Mark Levinson 23.5, Gryphon Callisto, Plinius 8200 in my experience. I never tried the tube amplification for the same reason and powerful tube amplification should be able to drive them (along with Accuphase and Luxman amps) according to the dealers.
Surprisingly, Naim 5si @60wpc drove 11s quite comfortably for lesser Spl listening. But distortion was apparent when you clock more than 50% on volume dial. Crown Xls 2502 did drive SCM 11s comfortably as well but the quality of amplification left a lot to be desired from audiophile perspective. Being a sealed design and 85db sensitivity powerful amplifier is a must in my opinion.

Both, The Strength and Weakness of Atc Lineup is unfortunately same and that is, they're Brutally Honest to the quality of upstream Electronics and the original recordings. If you spend for decent amplification for Atc, you'll have to look for the source, and recording etc as next upgrade. A minor cable changes will matter as well. If you have poor recordings they'll sound pretty bad. I haven't come across as revealing speakers as ATC SCM series.

Why it is so? Because ATC SCM series are designed & used more as Studio monitors (there's nothing wrong with using studio monitors for home listening) ; but its their basic USP to aid studio engineers on further fine tuning while recording and digitally mastering the music. The impeccable transparency helps a lot during mastering. Important part of my music listening, like 90s Bollywood are not well mastered, so I just striked down ATC off the list with a heavy heart. Apart from need for quality amplification and electronics I found this as limiting factor. You may look for Audiophile Series Speakers from B&W, Ushers, Castle Knight, AudioNote, Dynaudio, Focals which are less transparent and instead focus towards presenting everything in audibly enthralling way, even when the source /recording is not great. This is again a discussion between faithful reproduction vs audibly impressive reproduction and I went with the latter.

Thanks @drkrack . I remember reading i some reviews that the Entry Series (which includes SCM 19) is more forgiving than the Classic series (that includes the SCM20SL) which in turn is more forgiving than the Pro series (that contains the SCM 20PSL). ATC’s website lists the first two series under Hi-fi range and the third under Pro range.

more than half of the volume dial will take a lot out of the amp..

the Naim nait 5i-2 / 5si is a wonderful amp in its own right..

someone was asking quality power ?

Naim is one option..

Thanks @drkrack . I remember reading i some reviews that the Entry Series (which includes SCM 19) is more forgiving than the Classic series (that includes the SCM20SL) which in turn is more forgiving than the Pro series (that contains the SCM 20PSL). ATC’s website lists the first two series under Hi-fi range and the third under Pro range.
SCM 19 uses a SuperLinear driver unlike the 11 & 40

SCM 19 uses a SuperLinear driver unlike the 11 & 40

Here’s an article on this technology. I couldn’t understand much. Can someone explain if this couid make a major difference please?

The ATC SCM speakers are great for rock, pop and surprisingly even jazz. I think they are a Swiss knife that can bridge all genres of music well. Being sealed designs they are not too fussy about placement and room sizes either. Plus their dynamics are the best I've ever heard.

I had considered the SCM40's for a very long time. But eventually as Dr.Krack correctly mentioned, I felt I would have to revisit my entire play back chain, plus the quality of recordings I frequently use. I mostly use gaana for indian music, which is almost 80% of my daily listening. With the odd tidal track thrown in.

But the above apart....if I was looking for a high quality playback system that can completely decipher a recording, no speakers around the ATC's price range come close to them IMO :)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back