Audio Gurus Help needed -Confused on first decent quality stereo setup

Kannan_madhu

Hi
i have been using a 1.5k Altec Lansing 2.1 for these years and was satisfied with its performance. But recently i heard some stereo setup and fund i am missing a lot in my music . So the search started for better sounding computer speakers but most of them although higher priced than my current set up they dint sound well. They were boomy or sharp ( and there is limited models available in my city) . Then i thought of building DIY speakers and amps but found that building speakers are not just putting some bolton woofer and some twitter in a wooden box , you have to have proper box design and you need to get TS of the drivers etc.. finding quality drivers once again become a problem, so i abandoned that my DIY ambitions and started searching this form for alternative options which led me to some combinations. But i am in total confusion which to go for.

My budget is 15K max ( will be happy if costs come less )
My source is a self assembled AMD PC with onboard sound . My first confusion is weather to go for a entry level USB dac like nuforce udac or a Asus DX or some other sound card or save the money by using on board sound .

And then these options on powered speakers or separate amp speakers

1. Creative T20 which costs 6K or Gigawaroks T3 at 13K
2. Topping amp + Bookshelf speakers
3. Audioengine a2 s
4. buy used amp and pair of used speakers

I usually listen to film songs ( south Indian / Hindi) ,some not so hard rock , bit of techno , i don't like disturb others with high volumes, need some thing which is crisp and clear in low to medium volume and got decent bass (not the window shaking one ) . Considering my requirement which of the above options should i go for ? or could you suggest some thing else which will give best bang for the buck . Audio gurus of HFV looking for your valuable suggestions

Thanks in advance
Madhu

Last edited:
There are some decent used amps for sale in our forum. Mate those to W10.1 or Norge speakers.

Maniac_2004, Thanks for the link. lt seems to be a cool set up , any idea about the current price of Cambridge S30 ? and what about gigaworks T3 , how good it sound ? .

Last edited:
i have gone through the giant thread by psychotropic , its discussed that JBL control 1 pro and S30 are good match and they also fit into my budget which one is better matched with the T20 ?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back