Audio setup for a retail gym

Assuming he is picking a BS speaker suggested by the dealer, it has 90 dB SPL.. With AVR 50W power, the speaker would have a maximum capability of lil over 100 dB, which i think is not the levels he would push them..

I think, 10 dB over our normal room listening level (55 dB) should be fine.. 60 - 65 dB level should be more than enough per speaker IMO..

I think that the floor noise would be much higher considering the motorized equipments that would be in use apart from the noise from the crowd. Durability is the key as the speakers would be put to use for at least 6 hours a day. HiFi speakers are more likely to give up early compared to pro speakers as the latter are designed to be played at higher decibels.

The musicality part can be addressed by careful choice of pre-amp and power amplifiers (crown amplifier for example). Active Speakers would help cut the cost on power amplifiers and help OP spend more on source/SW.

The regular AVRs heat up after 3-4 hours of usage. Do you need any video processing at all? If no, then AVR doesn't mean anything at all. I have listened to Pope speakers in my office cafeteria (around 11000 sq ft). They do pump good SPL without much distortion. Going for pro-set up is the way to go. A lot of fine dining restaurants in BLR have JBL speakers installed. One other feature that I noticed recently is that many of them go for in-wall/on wall sub woofers.
Starting with dealers is a nightmare in most cases as they try to push products. Not many take consultant like approach. You can probably visit a restaurant or a commercial space (preferably a boutique one) where they have such installations and talk to the manager.
Do you intend to engage a DJ part-time for the music? If so, they might be the best folks to help you locate gears.

No, I do not have any video processing requirements - just need to play bluetooth/usb audio. I understand that an AVR is an overkill with its many inputs, 4k, network streaming etc etc. The dealers I talked to tired to "sell" me what they "have" without sparing a thought for what I "need" - it was disappointing and frankly it was a bit insulting. Some of the gym owners I talked to have tried to use just go with what these dealers recommended and in many places such as restaurants that I visit, either the system installed is very high end/expensive for my budget OR is not that great sounding for me to actually feel something like 'wow, that bass sounds great, very punchy, that sound coverage is very nice.. etc..' - Maybe pubs are a good starting place - but anyway, a few forum members who have come forward to help me out have been of great help so far, offering valuable advice. I think it helps me understand the space a little better and take a wise decision.

I think that the floor noise would be much higher considering the motorized equipments that would be in use apart from the noise from the crowd. Durability is the key as the speakers would be put to use for at least 6 hours a day. HiFi speakers are more likely to give up early compared to pro speakers as the latter are designed to be played at higher decibels.

The musicality part can be addressed by careful choice of pre-amp and power amplifiers (crown amplifier for example). Active Speakers would help cut the cost on power amplifiers and help OP spend more on source/SW.

At times, I play at 65dB-70dB at home (for some hiphop/r&b tracks) in a room size of 14x14. I think at the gym, depending on the crowd and cardio equipment in use, it can easily exceed these levels and go up to 75-80dB or more. Many times, gym members often get friendly with the trainers and they try to increase the volume level on the receiver themselves, just to feel the bass (supposedly motivates them better to lift weights, etc) better.

In many places such as restaurants that I visit, either the system installed is very high end/expensive for my budget
Can you list of some of them here? Probably, this would help the FMs understand your taste and help recommended cheaper alternates.

I have seen a gym which uses AVR to power speakers, though it is not as large area as the OP mentioned.. But the volume level was just fine.. Didn't notice the volume level on AVR..

The dealers I talked to tired to "sell" me what they "have" without sparing a thought for what I "need" - it was disappointing and frankly it was a bit insulting.

Sadly this is the case with Home audio too.. If you look at the threads, suggestions given by dealers to FM are very similar..

At times, I play at 65dB-70dB at home (for some hiphop/r&b tracks) in a room size of 14x14. I think at the gym, depending on the crowd and cardio equipment in use, it can easily exceed these levels and go up to 75-80dB or more. Many times, gym members often get friendly with the trainers and they try to increase the volume level on the receiver themselves, just to feel the bass (supposedly motivates them better to lift weights, etc) better.

Yes..Ppl love bass, the thump at the gym..(kind of motivation too).. If you have more subs, then the bass "thump" should be covered completely..

I would recommend you to take some more suggestions from FM, then evaluate your budget & decide..

Yes I do that often in my Gym.
Multichannel Stereo or all channel stereo on AVR Can be most appropriate , but why not buy a good stereo Amp with DAC capabilities, instead of AVR?

1. A professional power amp like Crown XLS 1502 and speakers and Subwoofers that can to be connected to high level Speakers output?
Crown XLS1502 Live Sound Amplifiers https://www.amazon.in/dp/B011X2HTZC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_i_IvQdBbM8W68XA

2. A powerful Stereo amp like this
Cambridge Audio CXA80 Stereo Amplifier & APTX enabled Bluetooth Dongle https://www.olx.in/item/cambridge-a...r-aptx-enabled-bluetooth-dongle-ID1i1WeT.html
And buy Four Large Bookshelf speakers and two Subwoofers placed in the opposite corners assuming that the place is rectangular? Add power amp and additional speakers using the preouts if the audio coverage is inadequate?

Basically get powerful Subs (x2 minimum, x4 can be better) and Sensitive Bookshelf speakers / Satellite Speakers / In ceiling speakers depending on feasibility, convenience and budget in my opinion.

Yes I do that often in my Gym.
Multichannel Stereo or all channel stereo on AVR Can be most appropriate , but why not buy a good stereo Amp with DAC capabilities, instead of AVR?

1. A professional power amp like Crown XLS 1502 and speakers and Subwoofers that can to be connected to high level Speakers output?
Crown XLS1502 Live Sound Amplifiers https://www.amazon.in/dp/B011X2HTZC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_i_IvQdBbM8W68XA

2. A powerful Stereo amp like this
Cambridge Audio CXA80 Stereo Amplifier & APTX enabled Bluetooth Dongle https://www.olx.in/item/cambridge-a...r-aptx-enabled-bluetooth-dongle-ID1i1WeT.html
And buy Four Large Bookshelf speakers and two Subwoofers placed in the opposite corners assuming that the place is rectangular? Add power amp and additional speakers using the preouts if the audio coverage is inadequate?

Basically get powerful Subs (x2 minimum, x4 can be better) and Sensitive Bookshelf speakers / Satellite Speakers / In ceiling speakers depending on feasibility, convenience and budget in my opinion.

Thank you for the configuration suggestion and the adding links to relevant devices. Much appreciated.

I am finally almost done settling on a tower audio system for the gym. It is this one
Given the budget, time constraints and other requirements, I had to settle for this system. I did demo it yesterday at Bajaj Electronics, along with rest of the sony and LG tower audio systems. This one had very good bass (again, not as punchy as the sunfire subwoofer I auditioned but enough that you will feel it 40 feet away - I actually tested it from 40ft), and room-filling sound. For its music playing /vocals I would rate it 6/10 and the bass is 7/10. Choosing this system is sort of a compromise from what I wanted, but I think it makes business sense at the moment to buy it.

I appreciate all the advice that was given on this forum - specially, I want to thank @prateekatasniya , @hifipal4all , @Ravindra Desai for reaching out to me and offering to help me out. Thank you all once again.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back