Austerity measures ... in hard times.

We hear countries facing financial crisis implementing austerity measures to help economy.
We saw our politicians traveling "cattle-class" but that is just a passing fad for them.
Dont we have to practise austerity measures in real life ?

When we are going through rough time, dont we employ these measures ?

You regret the fancy car you purchased that guzzles petrol and now lies less-used in your garage. You regret the fancy home theater you set up and now find no buyers for it. You travel by road and train and give the flights a miss. Those exotic restaurants are now viewed only in reviews and from outside. The costly multiplex extravaganza of spending in 4 figures for movie and food that was a habit becomes a constraint.
That costly automatic chronograph on your wrist looks out of place when you are struggling in a queue.:indifferent14:
Just like the hero of a short story by Jeffery Archer who spent a extravagant life , finds himself empty pocket in street with his fiance and is offered rose stems free by the roadside flower-seller, saying " Keep it for old times sake, Henry".

Our forefathers used to practise these austerity measures as a way of life and were labelled as "narrow-minded" etc .. but did they "loose" anything in life?

So is practising austerity a foolish way , so spend today and think tomorrow ?

hi spidey,

good point you have raised -

there are two sides to it - and the application of both these sides to the life of a person should not interfere/have repercussions in the overall future of the family structure he/she lives in-

the two sides are -

1. you only live once - so, if you have a passion and do not fulfill it while you can - you might suddenly be past the age with the passion long gone - and only regret for not indulging yourself while you could

2. you live for the future of your family - when one starts thinking of the fiscal future of dependents - austerity kicks in - and here lies the great danger - one might end up so austere that he/she becomes a menace!!:)
and interferes in the overall happiness of the family.

there are probably other sides to this -:)

regds

Forefathers were called narrow minded not for the austerity, but because of their general outlook of life and society.

the two sides are -

1. you only live once - so, if you have a passion and do not fulfill it while you can - you might suddenly be past the age with the passion long gone - and only regret for not indulging yourself while you could

2. you live for the future of your family - when one starts thinking of the fiscal future of dependents - austerity kicks in - and here lies the great danger - one might end up so austere that he/she becomes a menace!!:)
and interferes in the overall happiness of the family.

there are probably other sides to this -:)

regds

hi Suri,

great perspective,

IMHo, the two points are not contradictory at all and actually support each other.

the underlying theme is "be focussed on what's really important to you". corollary - don't fritter money on what's not...

so for me (As an example) it's

family-> home -> car-> hifi-> food

consequently - i dont have an expensive watch (dont even wear a watch), no mont blanc pen, simple clothes.. etc etc.

but we do eat out, I do spend more than others on CDs, Blu-rays, we buy as good a car as we can affort... I guess you get the drift...

this is also not significantly different from what the OP said.. for the previous generation, the focus was even sharper--> establishing a legacy-- which meant providing for children and children's childrens

cheers

oh ho...OP has removed the post..............what to do now?? Continue or STOP.
Continue, he might edit and add his original post again when he sees we are continuing.

Agree with Suri on this point. My outlook towards life is similar. One should enjoy and pursue their passion when they can - when age and finances still permit. Also, it is very important to ensure that your family also enjoys the best things you can buy then. Afteall, you only live once.

About bad times, if it has to happen, it will. Irrespective of whether you lived life to the fullest or not. So, while you are still in good times and 'living' life, we need to acknowledge the fact we may need to live a life less ordinary than we were used to. That's fine by me. I know I can live without any of these material things if I need to. Not that I will not miss them, but I atleast had the opportunity to enjoy when I could.

Easier said than done, but thats just my 2 paise on the topic:)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back