AV Receiver and Amplifier?

pannags

Hello All,

This is my second post, and thanks to all the people who answered, I almost have a buying decision.

1. A basic 5.1 AV receiver (Onkyo or Denon)
2. A set of basic stereo speakers (Jamo or Onkyo or Polk Audio)

I plan to connect the audio out of my Stereo deck, DVD player, TV, radio and projector to the AV receiver.

Now, can someone answer the following:

1. Is the above solution a good idea (right thing to do) ?

2. What is the difference between an AV receiver and an Amplifier? It appears that they are the same and I am confused!?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Pannaga

OK. Thanks. I presume that an AV receiver is always as good as an Amplifier.

BTW, I have almost finalised on the below "entry" level composition.

1. An Onkyo HT-S3300 - To serve as an Amplifier. (Not buying the 5.1 speaker set)

2. Onkyo D-105F - Floor standing stereo speakers (Later on, I plan to upgrade to 5.1 when I see the need for it :))

Please let me know if buying the HT-S3300 is the same as buying an entry level amplifier? Also, is this a good entry level combination or do you suggest anything alternately?

Thanks again.
Pannaga

OK. Thanks. I presume that an AV receiver is always as good as an Amplifier.

BTW, I have almost finalised on the below "entry" level composition.

1. An Onkyo HT-S3300 - To serve as an Amplifier. (Not buying the 5.1 speaker set)

2. Onkyo D-105F - Floor standing stereo speakers (Later on, I plan to upgrade to 5.1 when I see the need for it :))

Please let me know if buying the HT-S3300 is the same as buying an entry level amplifier? Also, is this a good entry level combination or do you suggest anything alternately?

Thanks again.
Pannaga

Onkyo HT-S3300 is a HTIB do not buy it with intent of using as AMP / AVR . There are better AVRs for that price ... And Floor Standing speakers toomany good brands available in the market than Onkyo.....

If you are only looking for music go for an amp or if you want music and movies / games etc go for a decent AVR .

Please mention your budget / room size / interest of use (music/movies etc) .

Also use the search feature on this forum there are zillion threads on this same topic once you go thru them you can be specific with your requirements on your own thread (here) .

Oh OK ... Now, I am beginning to understand things better :))

My intent is to have an amplifier (5.1 or 7.1), with stereo floor standing speakers, that can be used for both music and movies (not so much gaming). When you say movies, I understand that even the out of DVD player can be fed into the amp, right?

For the budget, I can spare a maximum of 40k, and looking at an entry level system for my living room. The area of the living is approx 200 sq. ft.

Sorry, but one basic question remains, how different is a HTIB from an Av receiver???

Thanks so much for your answers.

My intent is to have an amplifier (5.1 or 7.1), with stereo floor standing speakers, that can be used for both music and movies (not so much gaming). When you say movies, I understand that even the out of DVD player can be fed into the amp, right?

For the budget, I can spare a maximum of 40k, and looking at an entry level system for my living room. The area of the living is approx 200 sq. ft.

Sorry, but one basic question remains, how different is a HTIB from an Av receiver???

HTIB is basicly entry level AVR bundled with Speakers.

For 40k budget and 200 sqft living area... Go for a decent avr with Bookshelf speakers and later or expand the system adding a Sub and rear speakers.

Or else simply go for a HTIB like Onkyo 3300.. (not so great for music)

Search the forums in AVRs/ AMPS section. You will find loads of information.

Audio music is only 2 channel for which you need a 2 channel amplifier.

Video sound can come in 2 channel, 5.1 channel or 7.1 channel. For any channels more than 2 you will need a receiver with 5.1 or 7.1 channel amplification.

If you have more interest in music go for an 2 channel amplifier from Cambridge Audio or Marantz. Because these are created just for 2 channel amplification with better components, they sound better than a 5.1 channel Onkyo Receiver at the same price point.

@Panags - An AV receiver (5.1 or 7.1) is designed more for movies than music and it simulates a surround sound ambience say as when watching movies in a theater. The nos 5.1 or 7.1 indicate that the receiver is capable of driving 5 speakers and 1 sub-woofer or 7 spkrs and 1 sub-woofer respectively. Of these 5 or 7 'channels' (as in 5.1 or 7.1 in the AVR) the Front L and Front R channels are fed with max power and capable of driving bigger speakers (called main spkrs) and rest are pretty much surround spkrs that are typically smaller centre/satellite spkrs.

So in essence an AVR is an amplifier with built in radio tuner + video processing electronics. It's sort of jack of all trades (audio & video in this case). You can connect all the stuff you've mentioned below ie. TV, projector, DVD player etc. (Did not understand what you meant by 'stereo-deck' in your original post)

Typically an integrated stereo amplifier is what is colloquially called 'Amplifier' or 'Amp' and it is different to an AVR in terms of lack of video processing capability and does not have an inbuilt radio tuner and offers 2 channels only to drive speakers (as it is a stereo amp). All it can do is to amplify the input audio sources,HOWEVER it does that job very well as compared to an AVR. For someone who's more inclined towards music than movies, the obvious choice is an 'Amp'. That being said, you can still use an Amp to connect your audio out from the DVD player and watch movies with the sound coming out of your speakers output by the Amp. That too sounds pretty awesome!

Now over to your case, if you plan to use only two speakers to an AVR and don't plan to use it for any video upconversion, I don't see any reason why you would be looking at buying an AVR.

You should be looking at an Integrated Amplifier and a pair of bookshelf speakers and IMO it should make u real happy.

On other note my friend there is a nice deal of EPOS and NAD amp for sale by a forum member acquire some knowledge and see if it fits your requirements...

:sad: wish I had the money for NAD amp

@Panags - An AV receiver (5.1 or 7.1) is designed
You should be looking at an Integrated Amplifier and a pair of bookshelf speakers and IMO it should make u real happy.

Thank you for your detailed reply, I have mostly flac,320kbps mp3 audio and also want to hear good quality audio for my regular tv viewing.Does this Amplifier and floor standers suitable for this purpose.In what way I can feed the flac,320 kbps mp3 and cable (dth) audio to amp.Can I use amp+2speakers for casual Movie watching.

I have one more query in mind Amplifier(music) and AVR(movie) are serving for different purpose but the speakers should be common for both (I guess).If it is so then is there any way to use same speaker in future to connect amp and avr (as front speakers).If it is possible I can use same speakers for music when I switch on amplifier and for movie when I switch on AVR.

Last edited:
based on your interest you can select:

more music / less movies --> 2 channel AMP
less music / more movies --> 5.1/7.1 channel AVR
50% music / 50% movies --> get both

@Goose: Thank you very much!!! I must admit that my knowledge levels have scaled to the extent that I can make a well informed confident decision! :)

@Kittu&Sachin: Thanks to you too :)

I shall post you on the decision made.

@ rajuwaste

I don't understand what 'flac' is?

However your 320kbps mp3 audio can be played in a decent DVD/mp3 player and fed to an amp and listen them on a pair of bookshelves. No issues here and the SQ will be good. One point to mention here ofcourse is that most of the current AVRs are equipped with an embedded algorithm know as "compressed music enhancer" or equivalent technology that are specifically designed to enhance mp3 audio quality to add the 'missing-bits' if you like, that is supposed to make the mp3 music sound fuller and richer.

This feature is not there on amps to my knowledge. However I would still vote for the amp-bookshelf combo even for mp3s, having heard both.

RE connecting your DTH STB to the amp and for casual movie watching(I assume by connecting your DVD player to the amp) -> Absolutely you can! It will sound much better than what sound the TV spkrs can reproduce.

I'm not clear on the last part of your query re spkrs.

Hi,

If you listen to lot music and watch movie not very offten. Then go with 5.1/7.1 AMP/AVR with bi amp facility. With will help you to enhance the stereo quality. Then look for good pair floor standing speakers. Later upgrade the same with Centre, Surround and sub.

Thanks Rajzola and all others who have helped me understand the fundamentals much better than I did a week ago :D

Finally, here is what I have narrowed down on:

1. To future proof the AV to my requirements, I am looking for:
--> 1080p Video upscaling
--> any input to HDMI up conversion
--> 5.1 channel is OK
--> Stereo bi-amp preferred

I have narrowed down on Onkyo TX-SR608 or Denon 1910 --> 45k

2. Basic floor standing speakers, really entry level:
--> Good stereo effect

I have narrowed down on Polk Audio TSi 300 Floor-standing or Speaker Company TST2
--> 20k

Please let me know if the above combination will serve as a good entry level setup? Please free to suggest alternatives :)

The Onkyo/Denon are available for 30k in Europe or Singapore, but do not carry a warranty and attract customs. In India, I would have to cough-up 45k, and therefore will wait for a month to check out if there are any discounts anywhere.

Thanks and Regards,
Pannags

Thanks Rajzola and all others who have helped me understand the fundamentals much better than I did a week ago :D

--> 5.1 channel is OK

--> Good stereo effect

I have narrowed down on Polk Audio TSi 300 Floor-standing or Speaker Company TST2
--> 20k

Please let me know if the above combination will serve as a good entry level setup? Please free to suggest alternatives :)

The Onkyo/Denon are available for 30k in Europe or Singapore, but do not carry a warranty and attract customs. In India, I would have to cough-up 45k, and therefore will wait for a month to check out if there are any discounts anywhere.

Thanks and Regards,
Pannags

Go for TSI 400 you can bargain for 22 or 23k for a pair.

Hello,

Well I almost finalised my all new setup, while a new thought seeped in.

Here are my requirements, albeit with one added element:

--> 1080p Video up scaling
--> 5.1 channel is more than OK
--> Internet radio receiver!!!

The only addition to my earlier list is the Internet radio receiver. I clearly found out that the Onkyo TX-SR608 does not have an internet radio receiver :(

Can one of you gurus please suggest models from Onkyo or Denon or equivalent, which meet all the above requirements, keeping the cost in mind (meaning I'm looking for the first model that has all the above features). I seriously DO NOT need anything more than that.

Thanks in advance.

wbr,
pannags

--> 5.1 channel is OK

--> Good stereo effect

--> 20k

Thanks and Regards,
Pannags

Hi Pannags,

From what i understand is that you have more or less finalised on Polk Audio TSi300 for 20K which is only a two way speaker (2 Woofer + 1 tweeter). I would like to suggest you Sonodyne Sonus 2605 FS (24K) if you can stretch your budget by 4K. They are 3 Way FS ( 2woofers on each side + 1 Midrange + 1 tweeter). I have auditioned it in chennai and they are damn good. Every product has downside. Nothing is perfect. so if you can shell 4K extra, you get a true & massive FS. You will love it.. Give them an audition & decide.......

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back