b&k ex 442 power amplifier

anm

hi guys
my kabadiwala is back with an offer - b&k power amp. There is no option but to buy blind.
I am looking for a high powered power amp to drive the maggies.
Has anyone auditioned it or researched about it?
Is 40k too much for it?

Some forums in the net speak highly of it.

ex 442 built from 1985 to 1994..... was retailing at US $1000 then. Known for its tube-like fluid sound.

But, 40k from the kabadiwalla ?.........:rolleyes:

(200 x 2 @ 8ohms, 350 x 2 @4 ohms continuous average power output monaural driving an 8 Ohm load over power band from 20 Hz - 20 KHz total harmonic distortion at any power level from 250 milliwatts to 220 w .It uses mosfet and has tubelike characteristics)

Last edited:
anyone who has listened to this amp? I read some user reviews on audioreviews - nothing great there. Also, 40k is not too far from $1000 - so is it a great deal or let it pass?

He would have picked it up at scrap value ... weight basis.

1. Why not ask him how & why he is quoting 40k?
2. He must have done a bit of 'net' study to come up with 40k tag.
3. Rest assured he would not have paid a high price for a 20 year old eqmpt.
4. No, kabadiwalas or old electronic dealers do.
5. Why not throw a figure of 15k and see his reaction ... facial expressions.

BUT .... 200w x 2 at 8 ohms and 350 w x 2 at 4 is bloody powerful! ... and the produces of that decade have been exemplary.

I will let it pass as I can not see his facial expressions on phone :) He is right now in Chennai where the stuff is anyways known to be kabadiwala.
I have bargained earlier with him but he doesn't budge on prices.

Hi ANM , you seems to be an experiment rat for that Kabadiwala. Last time the Maggies, then the Denon ( i think you missed that LOL) and now its the B&K, why that guy is coming back to you again and again??:lol:

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back