Bangalore sangeet utsav - a disgrace to the performing artists?

arnprasad

I am typing just as kadri gopalnath has entered the stage. I have not been to too many concverts in india but finding 90 percent of chowdiah hall empty is pretty disgusting for such high calibre musicians performances. Not sure why people of this great city do not have the time or think spending hundred bucks...very sorry state of affairs..no wonder most of our great musicians go abroad for concerts

I am typing just as kadri gopalnath has entered the stage. I have not been to too many concverts in india but finding 90 percent of chowdiah hall empty is pretty disgusting for such high calibre musicians performances. Not sure why people of this great city do not have the time or think spending hundred bucks...very sorry state of affairs..no wonder most of our great musicians go abroad for concerts

Morning time in a holiday week? I doubt it. Just bad timing I guess. Besides the Sax is not a favorite or popular carnatic instrument for serious listeners.

--G0bble

Music is virtually dead in India. Sad state indeed!

Not really.
The only problem is that vast hordes of population prefer (c)rappy music that even a toddler can compose - case in point: Kolaveri

And the property of this horde is that it prefers anything that is "in" and increases their "hep" quotient.

Not really.
The only problem is that vast hordes of population prefer (c)rappy music that even a toddler can compose - case in point: Kolaveri

And the property of this horde is that it prefers anything that is "in" and increases their "hep" quotient.

its the same worldwide.

Not the case in chennai. It is the most happening place for carnatic music in Dec. People queue up in the morning to get tickets for the primetime concerts. Unfortunately, i've not been to any concerts lately. Am trying to attend at least one concert this season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You have had about 3,000 to choose from --- and it isn't over yet.

What you say is true about the prime-time concerts, but for every one of those, with a sold-out auditorium, there are many, even by great, respected and senior artists, that have but a few. I have been to concerts where the musicians outnumbered the audience --- if you subtracted the family and friends that came with the artists.

Morning time in a holiday week? I doubt it. Just bad timing I guess. Besides the Sax is not a favorite or popular carnatic instrument for serious listeners.

--G0bble

That is a good one Gobble. Timing matters and so does sax. I remember visiting a concert where Kadri was performing on the same stage with Ronu Mojumdar and Dr.L Subramanium and to me Saxophone sounded quite odd. I tried to like it but in the end it was so so and on the hindsight it felt just out of place. I am not even a good novice when it comes to classical music.

Tried to get tickets for a Bombay jayashree evening concert but sold out in the morning itself. Yes, the time matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I went to two great concerts today: a junior and a senior. Daughter and mother, in fact!

No queueing, no crowds, no tickets. A short walk between the venues and then back to my car, and I didn't even get rained on.

Wonderful. Although, ideally, I would have preferred them to be on different days. Two concerts is like two meals!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back