BD REVIEW: Rocket Singh - Salesman Of The Year (Yash Raj)

sanjay0864

This is the first 'YRF Home Entertainment' BD to be released after their initial wave of eleven titles on BD. Personally I have been looking forward to this BD for several reasons, one of them being, to gauge how 'YRF HE' has improved upon their initial releases. On this count, I must say that 'YRF HE' deserves considerable praise for having listened to their customers and for incorporating the changes as required. Not to say that this is a perfect BD or that there aren't a few things that Yash Raj still needs to work on, but the fact is that overall Yash Raj shows tremendous improvements and most importantly they have shown a desire to meet their customers expectations and requirements. The movie is much better than the average Bollywood fare and it is presented with picture quality that is very good and satisfying. The lossless DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio track is also pretty good. All this is accompanied by a very good set of Extras (special features). In short, I found this 'Yash Raj' BD, to be the most satisfying BD, released so far by any Indian video company, as should most other Hindi movie fans. Highly Recommended. :D

Title: Rocket Singh: Salesman Of The Year
Distributor: Yash Raj Films - Home Entertainment
Authoring House: ?
MRP: Rs. 699/-
Running Time: 02:34:12 hrs
Chapters 28
Media: Main Feature - 50GB BD | Special Features - 5GB DVD :cool:
Region Coding: A/B/C
Video:
2.35:1, HD 1080p 16:9, AVC 24Hz
Peak Bitrate 39Mbps | Average bitrate 32Mbps
Audio:
Hindi - DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48khz) <-- Default Track :yahoo:
Hindi - Dolby Digital 5.1 (48khz 640kbps) <-- Redundant & Space wasting :confused:
Subtitles: English, Arabic.
Special Features: Presented on separate DVD in 4x3
1. Making Of the Film
2. Making of 'Pocket Mein Rocket' Video
3. 'Pocket Mein Rocket' Video
4. Deleted Scenes
5. Bloopers
6. Deleted Montages
7. Theatrical Trailer And Promos
8. Forthcoming Attractions

Special Mention:
No Watermark Logo, during songs or otherwise. <-- Kudos to 'YRF Home Entertainment' for listening to our feedback. :clapping:
No scrolling advertisements during songs. <-- All Bollywood Video companies, please take note.
No advertisements, forced or otherwise, before or during the movie. <-- All Bollywood Video companies, please take note.
Separate 'Song Menu' to allow direct selection of song. <-- This should be a no brainer for all Bollywood films.
Special Features presented on a seperate DVD to allow more space on the BD for the main feature. <-- All Bollywood Video companies, please take note.

Review:
Luckily for me I had not seen 'Rocket Singh' earlier, which made the overall experience of watching it on Blu-Ray, that much better. The film itself, is quite good and is far superior to majority of the crap normally churned out by Bollywood. The performances of all the actors is top notch and the film avoids falling into most bollywood cliches, while still playing out quite entertainingly.

As good as the movie is, the video quality of this BD makes it that much better. Any problems with the picture quality are only minor at most. For one, there is a few seconds of the film where one can see a very light line running from top to bottom of the frame. Probably the result of poor 'negative' storage. Other than that I felt that the picture is not as sharp as it could be, probably due to DNR being used. For I also could hardly make out any 'film grain' throughout the movie. Overall as good as the picture is, it just does not pop out, specially the colors, like it does with the 'BIG Home Video - Ghajini' BD. But what comes as a very pleasant surprise, is that there are absolutely no 'watermark logos', during the songs or otherwise, anywhere during the movie. One thing that 'Yash Raj' really needs to work on asap, is the opening 'Yash Raj' logo during the menus. This seems to be a totally artifact ridden, upsampled standard definition video of the logo and is an embarassement to them, that they would be well served to avoid. The strange thing is that the same logo is rendered perfectly fine in HD, when it appears at the begining of the film. As pointed out by 'MHafner' "How difficult can it be to use this HD version for the BD menus?"

The sound quality too is quite good, keeping in mind that a film of this type does not really call for a very active sound stage. The only problem I do have with the audio, is the excessive & very boomy bass. This is a problem I ahve found quite common to 'Yash Raj' BDs and historically their DVDs too. I hope this is an issue they will address sooner than later. The volume level of the audio tracks, is slightly on the higher side, but it is not as bad as most other Indian BDs & DVDs. I hope Yash Raj will pay some attention to this too. The BD includes a redundant & space wasting lossy DD track along with a 'DTS-HD MA' track. The 'DTS-HD MA' track is set as the default audio track, which is how it should always be and I hope other Indian BD companies are paying attention. This is another thing that 'Yash Raj' deserves to be applauded for. I know, I know, this is basic stuff, but then again, even getting the 'basics' can be a tall task when it comes to Bollywood home video.

In addition to the very good video and audio, 'Yash Raj' has also included a very good set of special features. In what could be the begining of a very healthy trend, the special features are presented on a separate DVD of their own . Additionaly, there is another reason to be happy with this BD from 'Yash Raj', there are No Watermark Logos on this BD, during songs or otherwise. Kudos to 'Yash Raj' for listening to their customers and doing the right thing. Quite evidently, I am quite impressed and satisfied with this BD from 'Yash Raj'. I Highly Recommend this BD, with absolutely no reservations.

PS: Since I do not use sub-titles, this had escaped my attention. But, 'others' are reporting, that with the sub-titles on, the 'Yash Raj' logo does appear for 3-4 seconds at the begining of all songs. Although, this is not a problem for those who do not need sub-titles, for the rest it is still totally unacceptable. Personally I fail to understand the obsession 'Yash Raj' has for self promoting their own logo. I hope 'YRF - Home Entertainment' will look into this and immediately put a stop to any such implementation, in the future.

My ratings:
Movie: 4.25 out of 5.0
Video: 4.5 out of 5.0
Audio: 4.0 out of 5.0
Extras: 4.25 out of 5.0 (Special features in HD would have increased this score)
Overall: 4.5 out of 5.0 (Poor packaging kept the score from being even higher)

Screenshots posted by 'divyansh' on blu-ray.com

Equipment used for testing:
Projector: Panasonic PT-AE2000U
Screen: Da-Lite 4:3 120" 'Model B' - White Matte
Viewing Distance: 11' 6"
A/V Receiver: Denon AVR5800
Speakers: 5.1
Front/Main: Paradigm Reference 100 v2
Center: Paradigm Reference Studio CC v2
Rear: Tannoy - Mercury M5
Subwoofer: Paradigm Reference Servo 15
BD Player:
Oppo BDP-83 (Hardware Modified 'Region Free' with 'BDP-83-48-1224' firmware)
PS3 (80GB US 'Region A' with firmware v3.15)

PS: This BD is proof, that if we all persist and are vocal about our rights as consumers, even Bollywood Video companies will listen. 'YRF Home Entertainemnt' needs to be complimented for a fine BD and specially for having listened to their customers and for incorporating changes accordingly. In my books, as of now atleast, 'YRF Home Entertainment' has become the best amongst all Indian video companies. For not only have they released a good BD, but have also shown that they are progressive and willing to address their consumers' concerns.

Suggestions for producers and authorers of Indian BDs:
1. There is absolutely no need or advantage of having a separate Dolby Digital audio track, since the 'DTS-HD MA 5.1' track provides the best audio for all customers. This is why a single 'DTS-HD MA' track has been universally adopted by almost all Hollywood studios.
2. No DNR should be applied. (Film grain is not only acceptable but is natural)
3. The song menu, should always have a 'PLAY ALL' option.
4. The packaging is very important and the 'Slim' BD case used by ALL Hollywood studios and 'BIG Home Video' is the industry standard and must be used instead of the ugly, space consuming & environment unfriendly 'FAT' case used by Yash Raj. Also, it is important, that dual discs must be packaged in 'Slim' cases designed for dual discs.
5. The movie should start automatically, instead of going to the 'Top Menu'. This is something Warner has been doing for a while now. Although I realize that this is a somewhat debatable issue, since some people might prefer it the other way. I personally feel that since, on a BD, the 'menu' can be brought up at any time and that too without interrupting the movie, it makes sense to straight away go to the movie, which is what most of us do anyhow.

Last edited:
Good review Sanjay. Check out new 4 BD Releases from Moser Baer..........:cool:)

The DD 5.1 track is for people who may not have a HD-Audio capable AVR or for similar setups,

The standard Dolby or DTS 5.1 is found in most BDs for non HD AVRs but I have noticed that the standard 5.1 sounds much better than the DVD version.

The DD 5.1 track is for people who may not have a HD-Audio capable AVR or for similar setups,
For the love of god, please stop perpetuating this nonsense, that somehow including 'DTS-HD Master Audio' or even 'Dolby TrueHD' tracks on a BD are at the expense of old amps, for it is not true. Both, 'DTS-HD Master Audio' & 'Dolby TrueHD' are completely backward compatible with older recievers and processors. Thus if either codec is present, there is no need to provide a separate, lossy codec, such as Dolby Digital or DTS. In the case of older receivers and processors, when using an optical or co-axial digital connection, the BD player automatically outputs the core audio stream. In the case of 'DTS-HD Master Audio' the full lossless HD bitstream is output via the HDMI connector, while the core DTS 1536 kbps bitstream is output from the optical/co-axial digital connector, thus benefitting even "old pre/pros". By the way, the DTS 1536 bitstream is also a huge improvement over standard DTS on DVD, since DTS on DVD is mostly limited to only 768 kbps.

Bottom line, EVERYONE benefits from having a lossless 'DTS-HD Master Audio' track on the Blu-ray disc. More importantly, it is about time we in India stop reducing everything to the lowest common denominator. Because this only results at best, in mediocre products & services. For even if your statement regarding 'older' receivers / processors was true, why should a new technology be held back to suit those who are unwilling or unable to move on. For if we were to extend this same logic, then Blu-Ray should also not include HD video, since none of the MILLIONS, or should I say vast majority of televisions in India, can support HD picture. Or I suppose, the video companies ought to also include a standard definition copy of the movie on Blu-ray, for 'older' TVs.

PS: Blu-Ray is not just HD Video; it is HD Audio/Video.

Last edited:
Hi Sanjay,

Nice reply and appreciate your patience in explaining very clearly.:)

Forgot to say,, Nice review.

Regards

Sure Sanjay, your points are completely valid. However, in Skumar's defence, it may be germane to point that unlike BD, DVD spec did not require DTS support as part of the spec. Only DD and PCM is part of the spec; DTS is optional. Consequently, some (very few, to be honest) recievers have only DD compatability.

My interpretation of his post was that the DD stream on the BD is to ensure multichannel output with *ANY* DVD compatible Reciever.

I cannot offhand remember the names, But there are international releases with a DTS-HD stream plus a DD stream as well, probably for the same reason. I have never seen a reverse example (Dolby TrueHD and DTS core of the same language) -- again, proabably for the same reason

For the love of god, please stop perpetuating this nonsense, that somehow including 'DTS-HD Master Audio' or even 'Dolby TrueHD' tracks on a BD are at the expense of old amps, for it is not true. Both, 'DTS-HD Master Audio' & 'Dolby TrueHD' are completely backward compatible with older recievers and processors. Thus if either codec is present, there is no need to provide a separate, lossy codec, such as Dolby Digital or DTS. In the case of older receivers and processors, when using an optical or co-axial digital connection, the BD player automatically outputs the core audio stream. In the case of 'DTS-HD Master Audio' the full lossless HD bitstream is output via the HDMI connector, while the core DTS 1536 kbps bitstream is output from the optical/co-axial digital connector, thus benefitting even "old pre/pros". By the way, the DTS 1536 bitstream is also a huge improvement over standard DTS on DVD, since DTS on DVD is mostly limited to only 768 kbps.

Bottom line, EVERYONE benefits from having a lossless 'DTS-HD Master Audio' track on the Blu-ray disc. More importantly, it is about time we in India stop reducing everything to the lowest common denominator. Because this only results at best, in mediocre products & services. For even if your statement regarding 'older' receivers / processors was true, why should a new technology be held back to suit those who are unwilling or unable to move on. For if we were to extend this same logic, then Blu-Ray should also not include HD video, since none of the MILLIONS, or should I say vast majority of televisions in India, can support HD picture. Or I suppose, the video companies ought to also include a standard definition copy of the movie on Blu-ray, for 'older' TVs.

PS: Blu-Ray is not just HD Video; it is HD Audio/Video.

EDIT:: Oh, and more to the point, an excellent review. Please keep them coming. it forms a great basis for my BD purchase/rental decisions.

Last edited:
However, in Skumar's defence, it may be germane to point that unlike BD, DVD spec did not require DTS support as part of the spec. Only DD and PCM is part of the spec; DTS is optional. Consequently, some (very few, to be honest) recievers have only DD compatability.
Actually, that too is not completely accurate. You are right, that DTS support was not part of the original DVD specs and was added to the DVD specs only after the formal launch of the DVD format. Although, the delay by DTS in providing the DVD consortium their final specs for DVD, resulted in the initial DVD players not having support for DTS it has no bearing on receivers/processors, which already had DTS support from before the DVD format was launched. In any case, you will not find any, reasonable level, receiver/processor sold since 1997 that does not have a DTS decoder. Beyond that, I am sure everyone will agree that there is a limit to how old a particular equipment is before you stop providing backward support. For if you don't draw a line, it would become impossible to develop new technologies.

My interpretation of his post was that the DD stream on the BD is to ensure multichannel output with *ANY* DVD compatible Reciever.
I understand what you are saying and I see that I may have misunderstood SKumar's post as a justification for the presence of the lossy DD track. For, he may simply have been stating what the BD distribution company may be thinking.

I cannot offhand remember the names, But there are international releases with a DTS-HD stream plus a DD stream as well, probably for the same reason. I have never seen a reverse example (Dolby TrueHD and DTS core of the same language) -- again, proabably for the same reason
This too was the case only initially, before the studios understood the workings of the new HD audio formats. More importantly the reason for including legacy DD tracks to BDs initially was the unavailibility of HD Audio decoders, which were introduced only later. I am sure you must have noted that, this practise has lately become quite uncommon and is almost never the case with any of the major studios who have all pretty much started releasing BDs with only a single 'DTS-HD MA' track. Do we, the Indian BD industry, have to go through the process of re-inventing the wheel? I would think not and to me atleast, it would make more sense to simply incorporate what Hollywood has already learnt by trial and error.

Last edited:
Actually, that too is not completely accurate. You are right, that DTS support was not part of the original DVD specs and was added to the DVD specs only after the formal launch of the DVD format. Although, the delay by DTS in providing the DVD consortium their final specs for DVD, resulted in the initial DVD players not having support for DTS it has no bearing on receivers/processors, which already had DTS support from before the DVD format was launched. In any case, you will not find any, reasonable level, receiver/processor sold since atleast 1996 that does not have a DTS decoder. Beyond that, I am sure everyone will agree that there is a limit to how old a particular equipment is before you stop providing backward support. For if you don't draw a line, it would become impossible to develop new technologies.
not to belabour the point, but..

DVD-Video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's part of spec but it's optional. any dvd with DTS track will also need a pcm/ DD track as well to be spec complaint

I have what hifi (uk) dating 2000 with ads for recievers only supporting DD..

It's part of spec but it's optional. any dvd with DTS track will also need a pcm/ DD track as well to be spec complaint
Even so, the issue is not when and how much DVD players support DTS but rather, since when have receivers/processors included DTS decoding. The first DTS consumer decoders were introduced in 1996, with high-end receivers/processors including DTS support in 1997 and by 2000, I am sure all, except the low-end receivers/processors included DTS decoding.
I have what hifi (uk) dating 2000 with ads for recievers only supporting DD..
That is still ten yrs ago. I am sorry to say but expecting to have support for a consumer electronic product, ten yrs down the road is totally unreasonable. Even today there are tons of receivers/processors that only support stereo, so I suppose we ought to design all new formats and technologies keeping that in mind. Sorry to say, once again you are wanting to reduce this to the lowest common denominator. Anyone buying into a product that does not support one of the only two prevalent audio formats and that too four years into the life of the format, obviously is not someone who cares to much about cutting edge technology. DVD should more than suffice for that category of consumers, atleast until they care enough about Blu-Ray or are ready to catch up with the times.

Last edited:
Back