BESCOM Power

raghumailbox

Hi,

I stay in a apartment, my BESCOM electricity bill is raising every month though my consumption is very low.

When my house was vacant the bill was around Rs.800/-, for no use of electricity.

Shockingly this month my bill is Rs.2200/-.

I am worried weather there is any other line going parallel from my meter.
Since it is a apartment complex, am I paying for someones meter instead of mine.

I know my meter only by looking at the number mentioned and a fuse of my house next to it, other than than I can't make out my meter.

Is there any other way to check this? what would be the possibility of power meter running without using any home electrical?

not an electrician, but
possible of some leakages , earthing or something like that.

if someone is hooked to your meter, you can check during the nights. ask someone to watch other apartment while you remove and put back the fuse ( the one before the meter ) couple of time or so.
but you would not know if someone is running their fridge ,AC or something from your meter .

Gud tht you brough this up today.... I hv juz come back from BESCOM office showing them my last three months bill... it has gone 3 times in last three months!

I have just added M1DAC in the meantime...

A new LCD has been added but only after my last month bill generation...

When i went and showed this to bescom they said get a electrician to check leakages... and then only we will take a complain.. so I have to do that now...

But hearing ur story, i am starting to feel something fishy :-|

What I am planning to do though... to check a cross connection is.... I will switch off all the plugs for once... and then see if my meter is still or moving....

if its not moving, then either there is some leakage or it is the right bill..

With the powersupply on to your apartment make sure all lights and other appliances are off. No stand by also...fully off, all chargers disconnected. In this state your meter should not move. Next of course is to see whether the meter is accurate. I have had an experience of a BESCOM meter which was on drugs...caught it after many visits...If you can get hold of a good electrician, it is the best.

Of course you should also check the bill and make sure they have not added additional MMD based on an increase in your consumption...

HTH

Interesting!! I did switch off everything... removed all chargers....close all points... and saw my meter... it didnt move... i intentionally didnt plug off the mains because this wud hv helped me detect ne leakage... if meter was moving, i wud hv plugged off the main there by eliminating chance of leakage also...to check if someone else is using my power ;)

newaz... meter didnt move at all... then i noticed.... my meter reading... checked it against my last month bill... now tht there are juz 2 days to go for this month closure... difference in reading wud give me a close approximation of expected bill.... and voila... it showing normal expected usage.... 1x instead of 3x.... if the bill comes as expected then i wud b left wondering wat happened in those two months!!!!

My bill has been hovering around 400+ for last 5 years at older house close to IndiraNagar and it always made me supsicious as I am single, come home only post 11pm when one or two light bulbs are on for about 3 hrs max. My neighbors with family of 4 or 6 always reported a bill around 250/- with whole day TV watching etc. I did not have a TV at home!! Just one 165ltr fridge.

Now I moved to a new place and in the last 6 months bill jumped to 700+ per month. I got suspicious about my fridge so got a new one that reportedly is 5star rated for energy and consumes only 365 units a year. Still no luck! I also got my meter tested and checked the MCB from the original electrician who did the house wiring. He reversed the live-neutral lines so that live goes through the fuse. Still no luck. :(

Now I am resigned to paying a bill of about 800 every month while my upstairs neighbor pays 1/3rd that!! :mad:

Must be the Hi-Fi gear?

--G0bble

With the same gears I used to pay around Rs.600 at my previous house. After shifting to new house I stopped using washing machine and also electrical gysers which I replace with gas gyser and connected to all bathrooms.

Dillii ka ladoo bhai koi chk karne se koi phaida nahin. Well nearly the same boat as u with ACs and Heaters, geysers, washing m/c etc. i don't think AV gear can match all those inductive loads which are used on a daily basis. Lucky guys paying less than 1k a month

once u hv done a internal check, you can give a request to AE at bescom office... they will check the meter and replace it, if its faulty...

Is there any way that BESCOM can do some checking for this?

Yes, you need to get it signed off by a junior engineer who will sit at a different location from your billing office. Ask you bescom office where to go - I think it is called MTRI or something. they will come with a suitacase size device and check your meter and certify it.

--G

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back