Best 40/42/43 Inch Plasma TV under Rs 50K in India ?

nknil99

Reposting in TV forum...

Hi Friends,

I am a newbie and looking for some help from TV experts.

I have decided to buy a Plasma TV of size 40/42/43 (purely on the basis of reports that LED TVs can be harmful for eyes b'cos of rays coming out containing more of blue portion)

My requirements are

1. Best Picture Quality for long watching like movies, sports and TV serials. And comfortable for eyes of my 61+ yrs mother.
2. Excellent voice quality for a large room of size 300 Sqft with TV watching distance from 9 to 15 Feet.
3. I will not mount it, will keep it on a table.
4. Will extensively use external storage (pend drive or HDD) to play movies/audios. So want maximum possible formats supported for audio or videos.
5. Will use TV for projection for laptop
6. I have HD channels in IP TV so would prefer HD support in TV.
7. I want to have a visibility of good customer support for at least 5-8 years.

Will love to have a built in Wifi, internet browser and various applications in it like You tube, FB, twitter etc. But this is not must.

I am not at all interested in 3D feature.

My room is medium lit during day time.

Initially i decided Panasonic (between TH-P42XT50D & TH-P4X50D) but i heard and read a lot about their bad customer service. So i am confused

So between Panasonic, Samsung and LG models which 2-3 models i should shortlist to decide.

Your inputs would be highly appreciated.

I don't know where you got to hear/read that "rays" coming out of LED TV is harmful to eyes. Totally baseless and untrue. The light source in LED is, umm, LED. It does not contain rays as in case with a crt. Looking at your overall requirements plasma is not suitable for you. You should think of LED TV only such as Sony EX430 or Samsung 5 series, with a suitable size that fits your budget. You can also look at Toshiba ps200 or LG.

thanks for reply

I read following articles. Though they refer to same research i believe there would be some matter of concern regarding rays from LED source otherwise i am sure LED TV or Light source companies would have made some counter point.

LED lights can damage your eyes - The Hindu

Do 'environmentally friendly' LED lights cause BLINDNESS? | Mail Online

After all LED in TV is a newer technology compared to CRT and PLasma, so i think their side effects on eyes may not be that well understood/known.

If you're not interested in getting "LED Blind" then got for plasma. Two models come in my mind : Samsung 43F4900 and Panasonic 42XT50D. Demo both of them at showrooms and get whichever you want. Panasonic gives 1+2 years warranty though (it's a limited offer, I think).

Reposting in TV forum...

Hi Friends,

I am a newbie and looking for some help from TV experts.

I have decided to buy a Plasma TV of size 40/42/43 (purely on the basis of reports that LED TVs can be harmful for eyes b'cos of rays coming out containing more of blue portion)

My requirements are

1. Best Picture Quality for long watching like movies, sports and TV serials. And comfortable for eyes of my 61+ yrs mother.
2. Excellent voice quality for a large room of size 300 Sqft with TV watching distance from 9 to 15 Feet.
3. I will not mount it, will keep it on a table.
4. Will extensively use external storage (pend drive or HDD) to play movies/audios. So want maximum possible formats supported for audio or videos.
5. Will use TV for projection for laptop
6. I have HD channels in IP TV so would prefer HD support in TV.
7. I want to have a visibility of good customer support for at least 5-8 years.

Will love to have a built in Wifi, internet browser and various applications in it like You tube, FB, twitter etc. But this is not must.

I am not at all interested in 3D feature.

Although plasma TV's are cheap as well as good but have their own set of drawbacks. I would recommend you going in for a LED TV from Samsung/LG/Sony , whichever suits your budget. All your requirements can be satisified by Smart TV's.

No. LED TV's don't cause damage to your eyes. Infact they are more eco friendly than Plasma & LCD TV's. Lesser power consumption as well.
As far as damage from LED lights is concerned that is an entirely different topic and we have such studies for all sorts of things which have no relevance.

You can hear all kind of things about side effects of any TV be it LED,LCD or Plasma.These are all hogwash. Don't worry and buy a LED TV. :)

I've also been checking out plasma tvs in the market and as per my understanding and some small research I've done Plasma is the best technology as far as watching sports and movie channels are concerned. And LG plasma picture quality is simply superb it beats both Samsung and Panasonic.But the best judge is you so go and have a look at Samung; Panasonic and LG plasma tvs and you will understand it better. Cheers!!!

Last edited:
I had a look over plasma's of LG,panasonic and Samsung. ..and this model LG42PN4500 was the best compared to the rivals...though Samsung 4900 had 3d but was bot comparable to LG 4500....booked it after a week ...and its the best...mrp being 39k....bargained upto 34k ( CROMA-New BEL ROAD) Bangalore ..

Last edited:
I had a look over plasma's of LG,panasonic and Samsung. ..and this model LG42PN4500 was the best compared to the rivals...though Samsung 4900 had 3d but was bot comparable to LG 4500....booked it after a week ...and its the best...mrp being 39k....bargained upto 34k ( CROMA-New BEL ROAD) Bangalore ..

Really not sure what LG engineers had in mind when designing this model 5400... Juz 1 HDMI input :sad:... These days atleast 2 is a must.... I was also considering there 50 inch plasma for my mom.. But dropped it because it has only one HDMI input...

BTW Samsung 51F4900 though a HD resolution screen, is a really good model.... Until & unless we have all 3 models side by side & play the same content we can't say which is better....

We can only perceive that one is better than the better...

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back