Best bookshelf speakers (Powered)

Disturbedforce

Hey Audiophiles, A newbie here.

My requirements are (50%Movies and 50% Music /Variety of Genres, specially deep house)
living room is about 12 feet from tv across the sofa set and the width is 24 feet

I would like to go for Amplified speakers to start with and may be I will add a subwoofer later (If it does even make sense)

It would be great if I can get some suggestions, I am willing to go for auditions as well. Budget: Under or approx 1 Lakh rupees

Most electronic music in the last 2 years has a much higher average loudness level compared to other genres. Also since it is not limited by the frequency of physical instruments it can actually span pretty much all the way down and up the audible frequency range. A 3 way speaker actually does a lot better in my experience with electronic music.

I would go for professional audio active monitors and pair it with a sub: KRK, JBL, Adam, Mackie and Klipsch (R15-PM). If you can stretch you budget then Genelec.

If you want to go with passive speakers and an amplifier then there are many many options.

Given your music choice, you should give a serious thought on Sonodyne 3 way monitors. I've been researching on powered monitors myself and recently found that Sonodyne SM and SRP series to be one of the serious contenders.

Mackie HR824 mkii and MR824 are also really good for the space you have.

Hey Audiophiles, A newbie here.

My requirements are (50%Movies and 50% Music /Variety of Genres, specially deep house)
living room is about 12 feet from tv across the sofa set and the width is 24 feet

I would like to go for Amplified speakers to start with and may be I will add a subwoofer later (If it does even make sense)

It would be great if I can get some suggestions, I am willing to go for auditions as well. Budget: Under or approx 1 Lakh rupees

What's going to be your source component? How are you going to control the volume?

Active speakers, I have only heard a Yamaha HS8 and that thing rocked the room of similar dimensions as yours. Do check it out. They look amazing in white.

MaSh

Honestly many entry level monitors measures better than hifi separates coating 3 or 4 times. They are marketed as studio gear but Hi-Fi enthusiasts tend to avoid them Altotgether. The jbl 308mkii is already a very good active speaker if you can stand it’s asthenics without a grill and so on. What most entry level studio gear lacks as a Hi-Fi is they mostly lack good off axis response. I had heard hs8, Adam T7v and both were really neutral sounding. There is a gap in market between these good entry level and stuff like kef ls50 wireless. You cannot go wrong with genelecs of any price. Plus they have a great resale value while upgrading. Problem is 1 lakh is a small budget to get the driver size of a jbl 308mkii in a genelec. The bigger your room is, bigger speaker you will end up buying. There are exceptions, (small speakers sounding huge like the elac 310 kahlaudio.com/products/elac-cl-310i-mini-monitor-with-a-big-sound-1700-msrp-reference-sound-for-the-small-listening-room/) but not much in active speaker world.

At 12 feet , you really need pair of big speakers!

24 feet width is something that speakers would love. Side wall reflection can be avoid. Tuned to your thread. You are clear on what you want; else I would have confused you with my cravings for a horn system which would work perfectly in your set up.

What's going to be your source component? How are you going to control the volume?

Active speakers, I have only heard a Yamaha HS8 and that thing rocked the room of similar dimensions as yours. Do check it out. They look amazing in white.

MaSh
My source would be mostly my TV and may be my phone at times.

Also note you will need midfield studio active monitors not nearfield ones if you plan to sit at a distance.

Can you cite a few examples? Like below 50k?

They are not cheap.
Nearfields can also be used if budget is tight

The Rokit 8 can be had used for under 50k.

The Yamaha HS8 can also be had for 45k new for a pair.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back